Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Naruto Databook 3 - Hiden: Sha no Sho - HQ Scanlation Project

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eaballer10's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto Databook 3 - Hiden: Sha no Sho - HQ Scanlation Project

Thank You, Kaylee~ Now I can get back into action. ^_^

Naruto Databook III - Hiden: Sha no Sho - HQ Scanlation Project

WE NEED TRANSLATORS!!!
    Any translators who are willing to assist this effort are more than welcomed, and more than appreciated. If you are interested in helping, just make a quick post or PM me. Thank you.

Useful Links:

HQ RAW by Japflap

Naruto Databook III - Template Tutorial

Gingitsune's Databook III Transcriptions

Tora-chan's Official Databook Translations
    Pazuzu's Official Databook Translations
    ShounenSuki's Official Databook Translations
    Gottheim's Official Databook Translations

COMPLETED PAGES

Spoiler: Show show

STATUS

--Character Files-- (Pages 013-190)

Spoiler: Character Files show

--Shinobi Informations Files-- (Pages 191-220)

Spoiler: Shinobi Informations Files show

--Techniques Database-- (Pages 221-313)

Spoiler: Techniques Database show

--Color Pages-- (Pages 001-008)

Spoiler: Color Pages show

--Title & Content Pages-- (Pages 009-012)

Spoiler: Title & Content Pages show

Spoiler: Cleaned/Typeset Ready Pages (Pages 014-047) show

Spoiler: Introduction to this Thread show
    Last edited by eaballer10; July 23, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Updated!

Check out Urakai.com now! Kekkaishi is one of the best Shōnen manga out there!!

2. Thanks 82 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tora-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naruto Databook 3 - Hiden: Tou no Sho - HQ Scanlation Project

Quote Originally Posted by eaballer10 View Post
    So, I guess I'll leave you all with a short preview before I come home tonight and really set up this thread. ^^

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to work on the databook scanlations too! It's very much appreciated ^^

Since I commented on the work of all the ones who tried their hands at it so far, I'll comment on yours as well~ XD It's only my super-picky suggestion, so feel free to ignore it if you wish

Your editing (especially the typesetting) is fine, but there are a few things that could be improved~ (at least IMO)

First of all (but this is just my personal opinion, so feel free to ignore it~ XD), I don't like how you radically changed some parts of the layout, like the shape of tables, the whole title part, the Leaf symbol, and all the writings that could be left like in the original version (ditto for the grey "NARUTO" one in the background), page numbers included. The reason is: why change them? If you thought they weren't sharp enough you could edit them with the pen tool or something. But as I said, this is just my view and you don't have to follow it XD; I understand that you already spent time editing all that and you probably don't feel like changing it now..

Apart from that, the only other thing that IMO could be improved is the font choice. First of all, I'd choose two different fonts for the character line ("No way.. blabla") and the catchphrases ("With the burning will... blabla"), because otherwise they look the same.
    Secondly, and most importantly, I'd use a "normal" text-style font for the main text, because this is a guidebook and thus it's made to be read. WildWords is mainly used for balloons (which you did, and that is good). If you use it for the whole text it all looks like a big comic. I think we should differentiate it and make it look more like a real book.

All the rest is fine. I like your font choice for the profile (ninja reg number etc), I like that you managed to justify the text, and I especially like that you didn't alter my translation and included the notes (like for "oshiruko" and such), since not everybody might know what those things mean! XD By the way, you can remove "ndt" and just leave "*TN" if you want

As I said, thank you very much for working on the databook! ^^ I'm very grateful to anyone that helps the community!

Good luck and keep up your work!

Wanna read my databook translations? Click here!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, firstly, I would like to say it's a pleasure to meet you, tora-chan. It's not like me to avoid introducing myself after this long, especially if I am to be working with you in the future

I'm still not done with the first post of this thread (by a long shot), so I am planning on adding a little background bio on myself, and why I have chosen to do the things the way I have. But of course, I'll answer these questions as best as I can.

Also, I thought I mentioned that the preview page I listed was a very "rough" draft, but I guess I didn't. So there are still plenty of things to be changed, and I as well am open to ideas and changing things.

And finally, on to the questions/suggestions/concerns:

Quote Originally Posted by Question 1
    I don't like how you radically changed some parts of the layout, like the shape of tables, the whole title part, the Leaf symbol, and all the writings that could be left like in the original version (ditto for the grey "NARUTO" one in the background), page numbers included. The reason is: why change them?
    Answer:
    Well, about a year or two ago, I started the Naruto Databook II Scanlation Thread that I'm sure you've looked at. For this project, the magnificent TTXDRAGON created a databook page template that you simply 'plug' the RAW databook pages into. This template contained the character info boxes, the frames (borders), the "character file", the character name/kanji/romanji/country/rank box, as well as the ability graph. I'm sure it took him quite some time to put together. So, of course, I've just been using that same template.

The reason I did not modify the template from the NDB2 style to the NDB3 style is mainly because the style of boxes and borders are negligent to the information they provide. Besides the fact that the difference in style does not really "change" anything, it is also true that some parts of the old style just look better than that of the new databook; the character info boxes are one example.

And lastly, I chose not to re-modify that template because a lot of work went into this existing template, and it never really went to go use. Adding to that, a wonderfully lady by the name of 'Yume' created the ability graph to add to this template. And although I did manage to do the first 40~ Pages or so in HQ of NDB2, it wasn't really publicly released.

Naruto Databook II - HQ Scanlation (Partial) - Direct Download

So I wanted to use this one again, since it's really never been used. However, if this is really of that much concern to the peeps, then I'll re-modify the template if they really want it. No one will even know the difference, though, once the whole databook is released. And we're not changing content/translations here, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggestion 1
    First of all, I'd choose two different fonts for the character line ("No way.. blabla") and the catchphrases ("With the burning will... blabla"), because otherwise they look the same.
    Secondly, and most importantly, I'd use a "normal" text-style font for the main text, because this is a guidebook and thus it's made to be read. WildWords is mainly used for balloons (which you did, and that is good). If you use it for the whole text it all looks like a big comic. I think we should differentiate it and make it look more like a real book.
    Reply:
    So, here's the deal. The last databook actually had the first 167 pages scanlated, but in LQ. I managed the whole project and saw every page that was scanlated or submitted. I've seen just about every typesetting and font choice one could have for the Naruto Databooks. And after all of that, I realized that simplicity really is the key. Although having a different font for every single part of the page may seem like a good idea, it rarely works out. The biggest problem with that is that it takes a tremendous amount of unnecessary time to typeset using abundant amounts of fonts.

After being a typesetter for all these years, I've come to notice a few things. Unfortunately, no one ever really appreciates the work of the typeset; instead, they really just wanna read the page as fast as possible and look at the artwork of the mangaka. So the artwork & translation are the only things that are really appreciated. Therefore, keeping the typesetting and fonts simple not only makes things faster, but it allows the thousands of leechers to read things as fast and easy as possible, as well. A lot of fancy fonts can be annoying in the eyes of the readers, and I'm sure we've all been victim to manga where we really wish they woulda picked a simpler font choice. Wild words has always been fail proof for the Naruto manga.

However, I will change the character line, and I'll also look into changing of wildwords for the main text, but I'm just not to excited about it I do understand where you're coming from, though. I've got tens of thousands of fonts (maybe hundreds of thousands ), so I'll look to see if there is something more suitable for this cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggestion 2
    By the way, you can remove "ndt" and just leave "*TN" if you want
    Reply:

Cools, that'll definitely look better

---------------------------

Oh yea, and here was the latest version I had of my preview page. We can keep messing around with it until we find exactly what's best. Then I can finally universalize it's aspects for the rest of the databook pages to keep it's consistency. That's what's required for a HQ scanlation; consistency. ^_^

024-025 - Uzumaki Naruto v2
    Last edited by eaballer10; September 20, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

hi again guyz...

This is the edited version of Sasuke page 40-41..

as usual, just drop off some comment for me to improve my editing technique..

Spoiler show

Edit: Uchiha Sasuke Page 42-43
    Spoiler show

Btw, here the ability graph that I make for the purpose of editing DB3.. Feel free to use it....
    Last edited by syazx; September 21, 2008 at 05:48 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

great informations and thanks for the partial databook

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I took all of tora-chan's advice, and I used some help from syazx and Seraphimon-T.K., and ended up with this:

024-025 - Uzumaki Naruto FINAL VERSION

Before I make the typesetting tutorial page and upload the fonts I used, I'd like to hear what you guys think about this final version. Also, if you guys saved your .PSDs, then conforming your already typeset pages to this format will be a breeze. And don't worry, I'll be cleaning and formatting all the pages into "typeset ready" form for consistency. (x_x) anyway, this should all go pretty well.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tora-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eaballer10 View Post
    ok, firstly, I would like to say it's a pleasure to meet you, tora-chan. It's not like me to avoid introducing myself after this long, especially if I am to be working with you in the future

I'm still not done with the first post of this thread (by a long shot), so I am planning on adding a little background bio on myself, and why I have chosen to do the things the way I have. But of course, I'll answer these questions as best as I can.

Also, I thought I mentioned that the preview page I listed was a very "rough" draft, but I guess I didn't. So there are still plenty of things to be changed, and I as well am open to ideas and changing things.

And finally, on to the questions/suggestions/concerns:

Pleased to meet you too!

First of all, I didn't say that you *have* to follow my suggestions. It's my opinion, I don't want other people to modify their work against their will just because it looks better to me. The main reason I commented on your preview is that I also commented on the work of the others who tried scanlating the databook. I just wanted to be fair by commenting on everyone's work and, above all, I just wanted to express my very personal opinion because, as a fan, I obviously appreciate whoever works for the community. I didn't say "Please change your work because I don't like it", so you don't have to do it if it's against your will.

As for the template, well, I actually never looked at the Databook 2 Scanlation thread, because I can read Japanese and I didn't translate anything from it, so I didn't feel involved nor had I reasons to look into it ^^; I know that making templates is time-consuming, but in my opinion, new databook = new template (if it's different in the original too, obviously). An example: in the Naruto manga volumes every once in a while they change that page at the beginning, the one with characters and summary. If it were me, I would change it when they do too. Since the Databooks are only 3 (well, 4), keeping 3 different templates is not that hard. Though actually, I don't think you really need a template, except for the stats disk.. ^^;;
    Anyway, scanlations are personal projects and everyone does them his/her own way. You obviously have to do them your way. If you like to use a template, and if you like your work, then by all means go ahead and do it like you've done so far. I absolutely don't want to oblige anyone to do things like I'd like, because in that case I could do them myself (I've been a scanlationer for years too, but translating steals too much time and I can rarely do it). Of course modifying the layout (or using a template) and all will definitely make your scanlation different from the others, which is not by all means a bad thing. I really want to emphasize that everyone is free to work as s/he wants and I'm no ruler of the world that needs to be pleased! XD;

Same goes for the font. Mine is only a suggestion.. I didn't say that you have to use "fancy fonts". I talked about "text-style fonts", that is the likes of Verdana, Arial etc. I know very well that "fancy fonts" might look artistic but definitely not easy to read, in fact I would never use them on a guidebook or anything that's made to be read. This said, using 3-4 different fonts in every page doesn't make it "messy" (unless you use absurd fonts) or harder to read (moreover, differentiating between the various parts makes them more understandable IMVHO). It isn't even all that more time-consuming, since you'd need to change the size of the font anyway, and changing the font itself only needs one more click. WildWords is always great in *manga*, but this is a guidebook, and even though it contains pictures the point is the text.
    Also, it is indeed true that many people just read the first thing that they find and don't care about quality or typesetting, but then why are there people doing HQ scanlations? If you want your work to be LQ or MQ, then you might just erase the Japanese text and randomly paste the translation in there. But if you strive to do HQ scanlations, then you shouldn't care about whether people will just read it and throw it away or actually appreciate your work.

Again, I'm only expressing my very personal and humble opinion. I commented on everybody's work because I obviously don't know your background and I don't know what your level of expertise is. If you're scanlating your way because you're already used to it and you made your choices for precise reasons, then by all means keep it up My suggestions are mainly directed at the ones who aren't very skilled or aren't sure about their work and might like some advice. I did say that I like your work (except for the things I said above, that you don't have to change if you don't want to) and that I appreciated a lot some of your ideas, not to mention the mere fact that you're taking the time to work for the community and that you didn't alter my translation

Please don't think that I want to bash you or anything, because I totally didn't mean that! ^^;; As I said, it's my opinion, and I'm no god so you don't need to listen to it XD

EDIT: I read your last post just now. Thank you for following my advice, though really, please only do it if you're REALLY fine with it! ^^; I don't want anyone to scanlate with a bitter look on their face because they don't like what they're doing. You're the first one who must think "oh this is good!" while working, otherwise the reason why you're doing it is lost. Since we get no money to do what we do, we must at least like it! XD;
    This said, if you do like how you changed the page, well, I can say that I personally like it a lot! I also like the new stats disk better because I think it's easier to see the underlying lines Please don't hate me and keep up the good work! ^^;;
    (REALLY, I don't know if I managed to express it fully but I appreciate *A LOT* every single person who spends his/her precious time working to provide other fans with material they can read and look at! The last thing I want is to be mistaken for someone who wants to have the last word on everything x_x)
    Last edited by tora-chan; September 20, 2008 at 03:52 PM.

Wanna read my databook translations? Click here!

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Big THX for picking that db3 for scanlation project

About the 'Final version preview' - It's awesome in my eyes xD
    Now only if Carlos Net joined the project to translate - would be awesome ^^
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member PB|Ichigo's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really great to see all your effort in scanlating the DB3, much appriciated here! Thanks a lot!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syazx View Post
    hi again guyz...

This is the edited version of Sasuke page 40-41..

as usual, just drop off some comment for me to improve my editing technique..

Spoiler show

Edit: Uchiha Sasuke Page 42-43
    Spoiler show

Btw, here the ability graph that I make for the purpose of editing DB3.. Feel free to use it....
    Thank You. I love your choice of font and the cleanness of your typesetting.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Toboe LoneWolf's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Pazuzu's also doing translations for Databook 3, here.
    ...And so he howled, long and plaintive, woebegone and heartsore, yearning for what was and what would never come again.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful work so far, guys ^^

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ricardo's Avatar
    Country
    Angola
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed Gold Knight, i just hope it won't end up like some pages of DB I and DB II, but considering the amount of effort already put all i can say is thank you very much and that you have all support from everyone, in case you need any help with translations and scanlations i would be glad to help.

Intl Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Shunran's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

If needed, I'm ready to translate some pages *_*

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shunran View Post
    If needed, I'm ready to translate some pages *_*
    Thank you, Shunran. We actually are in a dire need of translators. If you are interested in helping us translate, you are more than welcome to pick any one of the "Awaiting Transcription/Translation" pages (under the STATUS area) and begin getting to work. I think it would be best if you posted which page(s) you were translating, though, so that I can reserve that page(s) for you in the STATUS area. This will prevent other translators from doing exactly what you are.

Of course, if needed, the RAWs are located HERE (Japflap).

Thank you, again,

- Eaballer10

New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast