Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi

Thread: Was it okay for Roy Mustang to lose his eyes ?

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it okay for Roy Mustang to lose his eyes ?

I've got some trouble about Mustang loosing his eyesight since the beginning. Is this alright for you that he lost it only because he has a dream ? And he didn't want to make the human transmutation. I simply don't understand yet why the Truth had to punish him.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was it okay for Roy Mustang to loose his eyes ?

I think it had something to do with it not being the "Real Truth". All the knowledge did was cause despair, and the manga explanation was basically if it happens, it happens. Sucks.

However, right now Mustang should be the most powerful alchemist since he can use his clapping and everything, AND he has his eyesight back.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    I think it had something to do with it not being the "Real Truth". All the knowledge did was cause despair, and the manga explanation was basically if it happens, it happens. Sucks.

However, right now Mustang should be the most powerful alchemist since he can use his clapping and everything, AND he has his eyesight back.
    I don't care about it. For me he wasn't supposed to lose something at all to begin with.

What's up with the fake truth part ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The Truth doesn't take something away as punishment; it takes it away after you see the inside of the Gate of Truth. Equivalent exchange. Roy saw the Truth and can do clapping alchemy, so he had to give up his eyesight.

But, of course, he used the Philosopher's Stone to get his eyesight back, so it's no problem.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was it okay for Roy Mustang to lose his eyes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsuga View Post
    I've got some trouble about Mustang loosing his eyesight since the beginning. Is this alright for you that he lost it only because he has a dream ? And he didn't want to make the human transmutation. I simply don't understand yet why the Truth had to punish him.
    The way I see it, the fact of the matter was that roy indeed saw the truth, acquired knowledge and got the clapping alchemy. None of those things should come for free. Now, IMO seeing the whole thing as "punishment" is not precisely accurate. This works with equivalent exchange so in theory the knowledge, seeing the truth and clapping alchemy was indeed worth as much his eyesight. It is interesting to note that the truth did not take as payment limbs based on their weight but rather it seemed to take payment based on the philosophical value of things... Hence why the payment it took was so varied from everyone.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    The way I see it, the fact of the matter was that roy indeed saw the truth, acquired knowledge and got the clapping alchemy. None of those things should come for free. Now, IMO seeing the whole thing as "punishment" is not precisely accurate. This works with equivalent exchange so in theory the knowledge, seeing the truth and clapping alchemy was indeed worth as much his eyesight. It is interesting to note that the truth did not take as payment limbs based on their weight but rather it seemed to take payment based on the philosophical value of things... Hence why the payment it took was so varied from everyone.
    If it was not some kind of punishment, but only an equivalent exchange, why Ed complained about Mustang, and why Father answered to it. By their discussion it really seems that Mustang has been "punished" for something. Even Mustang was assuming that he lost his eyesight because of his dream.

If we go even further, we should say that the Truth shouldn't show...the truth to Mustang since he was not the one who did the human transmutation.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mauricio Raphael's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I would like to think that the Truth is absolute.

What I mean by this is that it doesn't matter if one seeing the Gate of Truth performed human transmutation; that person has entered forbidden territory.

As such, the Truth doesn't discriminate.

It's kind of like someone trepassing but doesn't know he or she is; it doesn't matter if that person didn't know, they still broke a law.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsuga View Post
    If it was not some kind of punishment, but only an equivalent exchange, why Ed complained about Mustang, and why Father answered to it. By their discussion it really seems that Mustang has been "punished" for something. Even Mustang was assuming that he lost his eyesight because of his dream.

If we go even further, we should say that the Truth shouldn't show...the truth to Mustang since he was not the one who did the human transmutation.
    Why would ed's complaining or father's answer be relevant to this? I don't think that has any relevance on the point I tried to make.

Well, given what we saw, it was mustang who actually get something from the human transmutation anyways. Pride might have taken care of the fee of getting towards the door but in turn it was mustang who saw the truth and acquired knowledge. In that sense, regardless of how mustang got to the door the one to pay for the knowledge must be him.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a punishment, more like fate.
    you can say all you want about pride forcing him and stuff like that
    but he indeed, went there and have seen the truth.
    Be it forced or not, no one is allowed to.
    Life doesn't always have to be fair and besides, can you really say that mustag was not tempted?