Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Thanks for the raw links, Zindryr! I stopped reading the series at volume 23 and the databook (this was a couple years ago so I figured the series had ended with 23).

This series was always so batshit crazy that I had to love it. It would likely be a huge pain to translate, but I certainly would be happy to help proofread or provide the occasional chapter translation if people are interested. I probably wouldn't want to translate the databook though (as that thing was REALLY text heavy).

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

You're telling me dude, it took me a while to just skim through it. I'd love to have Bastard!! scanlated but it would really take a long long while to catch up, plus Viz is already doing a not too bad job of it from what I hear, though I can't testify to that as I haven't read any of it.

That, and Hagi's been releasing some Complete Volumes of which I have yet to put my hands on. The volumes that should have been released with extra pages and plots and everything supposedly.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I remember seeing the 完全版 volumes a couple years ago, but I couldn't really justify rebuying the entire series (though I still want to pick up the 完全版 for Dragonball since I don't have the whole series with me).

I can't wait to check out the RAW of volume 24 to see what is going on with this series (since they ended at a weird point in volume 23). Here's hoping it downloads...(damn you, sendspace!!!!)

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah, I love sendspace. They're one of the better providers in my opinion. Aside from the fact that limit you to 100kbps down, they're great.

In any case, I am going to go out searching for the 完全版's at some point and see if I can find them. Three are out supposedly, and I really want to see what's different in them. I freaking love this series as a whole.

Oh, and volume 24, rofl, they start at a weird point there. The story is fucking everywhere.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks zindryr for the links.
    Don't you think it's strange that Viz is doing an accettable work with a wierd manga as "Bastard!!"?

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I did really think it was odd that anyone would pick up Bastard!! for release here. Honestly I haven't really noticed much interest online for it in English speaking areas. I've got a few friends who really enjoy the series, but that is about it.

I'm glad Viz is doing acceptable work on Bastard!!, because it really does deserve it, even if it is, as pocketmofo said, "batshit crazy".
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Bastard!! deserves it, as I said in Italy is well known among manga readers, at least I think so.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

See, there's something about Bastard!! that appeals to the European crowd much more than it does to Americans. The databook mentions that the first official release of Bastard!! in another language was in Spain, followed by France if I remember correctly. Then a lot of other countries and finally, (at the time the databook was released), here in America. We are technically the last ones to receive the Bastard!! manga, which is kind of disappointing.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

So did you start reading it in japanese?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever read it in Japanese. It was one of the first full series I've ever read from beginning to current. It's also one of the main things that got me into manga really.

Sidenote, I found the group that is releasing the scanlations:

http://www.kindan-no-aku.com

I will add it to the first post, they're doing volume 2, and volume 1 is available scanlated at #lurk like I stated before.

Wrong link. Fixed^^ ~eni
    Last edited by eni; May 03, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, volume 24 continues in the Bastard! tradition of being crazy. I really like how the story just introduces new races and brings back old characters out of nowhere (and powers up the villian to insane levels in only a few pages). The man is a perverted genius.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got volumes 1-24 of Bastard!! (RAW, of course), although they're far from HQ scans, methinks. Better than nothing, though. I leave the Raw-Manga files open so they can upload (bittorrent stuffs), but my router ain't that great, so it doesn't connect to everyone. If people want me to upload it to a sendfile site or something, I most certainly can and will, but I'll need some direction as to how I'd go about doing that. Never done that before, and change scares me.

Oi, can anyone tell me what Kall-su is up to in Volume 24? Looks like he's going on some Giant-extermination mission, but for what reason, I can't tell. Then something starts falling, Arshei urges him to go, and...I got the feelin' he was gonna stick around and just let himself be crushed, or something. Clarification?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kal-su is trying to enter the giant's "holy castle" so he basically goes and picks a fight with one of the elder giants. He uses the spell testament to break the giant out of the ice but the giant tells Kal-su that he is immune to the magics of man. He then basically tells him that it's time to atone for his sin (his sin being soiling the sacred ground of the giants with his presence) with his death. Kal-su then comments that dying won't be enough for him to atone for his sins. He then uses a super-pressurized steam ball on the giant thereby incapacitating/killing the giant.

Arshes Nei comes and scolds him for doing such a rash thing. She says that if DS were around he wouldn't have let him go. She then reminds him that DS has died and left them along many times but that he's always come back. Kal-su remembers that DS is truly immortal. Then the gate to the giant's holy castle comes down and Kal-su goes toward it alone after telling Arshes Nei to go home. He says that he won't die (and he thinks to himself that DS must live and return to this world so that they can meet again).

Oh and there's a flashback earlier in the volume about the coming of the messiah and about Kal-su being Elijah. If there's enough interest, I might be willing to translate volume 24 (maybe 23 as well if there's really enough interest). We'll have to see how much attention this thread gets though...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

*worships*

I don't know how much I could do, since I know no Japanese, but I'd be glad to do help in any way that I could.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, people finally taking an interest in Bastard!!, good, good. I'd love to see it be scanlated, but since I'm so weighed down by school, other projects, and my own translations at the moment I can't work on it myself. I also think I'd probably mess a few things up considering the level of the Japanese used, heh.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff

New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast