Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Character in GantZ?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Character in GantZ?

So, tell us here who are your favorite characters in GantZ, and why. What makes them special characters to you? What would you like to see them accomplish by the end of the manga series?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member manu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Character in GantZ?

My favorite character was Kei at the begining. I actually felt a connection with him. We were both jerks. The joy that a main character can be a jerk and get laid in the hallway and blow out alien brains was so cool. But apparantly that was acceptable and he had to "grow up." Though my faith in Kei came back when he killed all those vampires singlehandly. With a flashlight no less.

Um unfortunately I didn't have the same love for that homocidal sword guy who pretended to be a black terrorist. The fact that he could kill so many people is a bunch of bullshit from my perspective but it was a cool fight nonetheless, just wish he didn't have to pose to be a black terrorist. That and he killed innocent people which is a big no-no.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've really grown to like Kei. I didn't like him so much when he was a jealous jerk, but he's really come to earn my respect throughout the series by, yes, maturing and not becoming so shallow as he used to be, as well as recognizing the value of life as Katou did early on, but at the same time not being so hesistant to act. He's turned into an amazingly capable leader.

But Katou is still my favorite. I relate more to him - and he managed to keep the team human (just look at the Osaka team, without their morals), but I understand why he wasn't the main character, he was already pretty much established as a do-gooder, and there wouldn't have been any dynamic character development. But I've always liked him, and it wasn't surprising to me at all that he did eventually inspire Kei to be a better person in the end. I was glad to see him come back to be able to take care of his brother.

I'm hoping that this time he will stick with the team to the end, regardless of Kei's possible future involvement as the new leader or not.

I don't like Izumi at all, no. But it's become obvious he's kind of supposed to be a Sephiroth-type character in the series. Long hair, long sword, kills innocent girl, and just a homicidal killer.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure whether it can be said that I liked Izumi, but I think he played an important role in the story. His apathetic, homicidal, and socio-pathic personality was a big change as far as the main characters of the story go. He was also clearly the best all around Gantzer statistics-wise. I think towards the end of his life he recognized the more important things in life. He would definitely be my go to guy if they needed to revive a strong character.

I also think that Kaze is very interesting character. Is he really just a country bumpkin with an appetite for destruction? Takeshi being introduced made Kaze seem just that more endearing.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he'll probably be back. I wouldn't be surprised to see them summon him back realizing strength was absolutely essential if they were ever to be free of GantZ. Still doesn't mean I like him though. But he makes a good villain and erstwhile ally for the story I suppose.

I also like Kaze, but he's sort of cliche as manga characters looking to be the "best fighter in Japan" go. I AM interested in seeing how he grows as a result of his relationship with the Takeshi, though.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Emery's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite so far is Izumi. He's just one of those guys that you love to hate, and he's awesome like that. Like it was said earlier, he has that Sephiroth complex, and it's just awesome. He took out an entire mob of vampires, so he basically went down like a champ.

Close in second is Kei Kurono, for the same reasons as posted above me.

Third would be Nishi. I don't know why, I just love his sarcastic, cynical ass.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have an absolute favorite. It was kurono's initial attitude of apathy and selfishness as well as his lucidly sexual orientations that got me interested in the show. I told myself-- what a crazy guy-- this looks pretty good- it looks like somebody i know (and this is true ).

Then after many chapters Katou's character held more sway for me. I loved his attitude although i wished he was a little colder somehow.

Kei's metamorphosis- with Katou and others deaths in the series. His character became so adorable and lovable when he was normal and fighting those vampires with a flashlight.

And then Izumi-- boy i loved the change that guy brought into the show. I cant stress that much.

So, these 3 guys have been to me the pillars of the show- and my favorites thus far.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have to admit Kei was remarkably very realistic as your "normal little jerk" - and it also helps you sympathize a little more with these type of people in real life too. I suppose that's one reason I did keep reading, because Kei was so human in how he thought about life, the other people around him, and at that age I definitely remember having the same type of horny feelings, heh.

But it was good to see him get past all that and start maturing, too.

Dearly Missed ;__; MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    Venezuela
    Post Thanks / Like

favorite character, huh?

can't say i really have a favorite.
    Of course Kei grew on me too, his normal lazy teenager attitude changing to a still usual teenager who can take risks and tries his hardest for everyone and not only him.

but all in all the "nobody is safe"-style of the series made pretty much everyone special, their own style to get over the dangers, how they handled having to kill aliens.... i can't even say i hate any of the gantzers. not even izumi....
    when there are that many unknowns and you got a really fucked up life, i can understand how you grow a tad bit too insane.

even kato as the extremely strong sissy who can take command if need be is such a unique and great character...

heck even the panda was fun XD

so, all in all, i'd say i got no favorite in particular, but kei grew on me a bit because of the long time we've seen him...

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually my favourite character is Kato - his sense of justice in the beginning, stood out as compared to Kei, who seems like such a coward earlier on. And kato used to look upon Kei as a role model when they were young.. It just tickles when you think how the role reverses between them now when it shows how in the beginning of the story - with Kei being frightened by Kato in school sometimes, and later on Kato actually kind of acts as the leader and trying to protect everyone.

Oh yah, there was this moment that Kato was sweating so much when he & Kei first appeared in the Gantz room, he was just trying to stop some 'unpleasant' incident from happening and Kei kind-of freak out then .

Besides, they show this responsible brother side of Kato- trying hard to stay alive in Gantz to return to take care of his younger sibling. And yah, I was majorly disappointed when he was killed! as I expect him to be one of the main characters.

Well, now that he's back, I expect him to lead the team safely and not make 'silly' mistakes and to bring of course, Kei, back to life again.

▲Away till end June. ▲

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Nami

Yeah, Katou rocks for all the reasons you mentioned. But I almost wonder if we're going to see any flaws from him now. He was ALMOST too perfect in the beginning. I'm a bit nervous to see what Oku has in mind for him now.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From the guys it would be Izumi because of his badass sword skills. Followed by Kei and Kato. For the women it would be hands down Reika.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner vaiobob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal favorite would be Kurono because of his well-written evolution from sociopath to hero followed by Cherry for his Spiderman-esque desire to repent for deaths he was responsible for.
    To be honest I hated Izumi at first but really because of his seemingly cliched evil foil to the protagonist role. As he began to evolve however I did find myself more interested in him. After seeing the respect Nishi had for him as the former leader and seeing him give his life to save his girlfriend I still would not rank him as a favorite character but would definately put him as one I am most anxious to see revived.
    Goodbye Tigh's right eye, we hardly knew ye.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Izumi a protagonist?! I can see how he isn't exactly an antagonist, but I would never consider him one of the good guys.

Hmmm...I suppose I can understand why he could be seen as both because of Gantz's apparent ambiguous comparison of Good and Evil. I think Gantz is very realistic in this manner. There may not actually be truly Good people and truly Evil people, only Good deeds and Evil Deeds.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

my fav is Kei he looks just like me , from the face , height , eye color and everything , not only that im a jelous , power wanting jerk...but who wants something that noone wants and when u say some u want everyone laughts at you ....Kei is an Insperation for me a guy that i can learn from

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast