Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oka is DEAD.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oka is DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by georgemarvin View Post
    I would guess that one of these two scenarios happened:

1. I was right and the known shape-shifter Nuri was just faking them out, and didn't really kill Oka at all; he just made it look like he was holding Oka's torso to psych them out. He could turn into anything he wanted to, after all, and when he first landed, it looked like his hands were empty. One old stand-by in comics and manga: If you don't see an epic battle drawn on the page, there's something fishy going on; the author probably doesn't want you to know something important that he will reveal later.

2: If Oka's dead, and Knob-yan lived, then we'll see Knob-yan using Oka's robot and flying cycle. It's even possible that the gorilla suits don't bind to the player. If so, Knob will have inherited the whole kit and kaboodle. If Knob-yan didn't live, then Kuwabara would be next in line to inherit all the loot. Neither one of them would rez Oka, even if it didn't cost them a single point, because that would mean that they wouldn't get to keep all of his goodies.
    It does seem odd that Nuri was able to track down Oka so quickly, yet couldn't figure out where Reika was shooting from (plus the building exploding, even though Nuri seemed to be a physical fighter in it's current form). So I guess either Nuri faked the whole thing, or Oka tried to ambush him and failed miserably.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@damura
    Hmmm, remember the chibi alien? He was able to track Kurono, but not until after he knew what he was looking for. Same kinda thing could have happened to our unfortunate Oka. Nura decided he was enough of a threat that he had to concentrate on taking him out. Since he was now familiar with Oka's aura, he could sense where he was. Oka was probably hoping that the others would be able to stall Nura long enough for him to get out of Nura's range (that plan didn't work). However, Nura didn't really bother trying to attune his senses to the others before he came back with Oka's corpse. I imagine he locked on to Katou and figured they'd stay together if they tried to run, or he can only lock on to a few hunters at once.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Locking on to an enemy is a poor excuse. If he couldn't sense Reika's bomb, I doubt he could have sensed Oka's just by "locking on". Everyone should share the same "aura" anyway because the bombs are all the same.

I really doubt that he could lock on to Oka. The Chibi alien couldn't track Kei anyway. He had read Kurono's mind and located his school, but the fact that he got there well before Kei and slaughtered his classmates, rather than attacking Kei directly suggests that he couldn't actually track Kei.
    Last edited by Damura; April 06, 2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@damura
    http://view.thespectrum.net/series/g...&pg=09-127.jpg

Eventually, Nura was able to sense Reika:
    http://www.mangavolume.com/index.php...-278&page_nr=7

If they didn't emit somewhat different signals, gantz would blow up all their heads whenever someone broke a rule. One should also take into consideration the fact that Reika and Oka weren't sent by the same gantz ball and that Nura was getting decimated, which would make it difficult for him to concentrate on/locate four different signals.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurono might resurrect Oka, assuming he got 100 points in the latest mission. I mean if the guy was willing to bring back Nishi on the chance that he might know more about Gantz than they did, he'd probably be willing to bring back someone known to have gotten 100 points seven times.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Amnesiac's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Kurono might resurrect Oka, assuming he got 100 points in the latest mission. I mean if the guy was willing to bring back Nishi on the chance that he might know more about Gantz than they did, he'd probably be willing to bring back someone known to have gotten 100 points seven times.
    Izumi.

But resurrection probably isn't an option anymore.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mcd693's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a strong feeling that regardless if Oka is or is not dead he will be in the catastrophe. If he's not dead then he will be there with another toy most likely(I mean personally I think he'd dead but im not going to rule out the possibility that he is still alive) If he is dead then I think that the his team will revive him. He's just to much of an asset to lose to the team and the Gantz war effort. He is also our only glimpse into future weapons and only reference to said weapons. Like kurono he is too important and will definately be back.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Amnesiac's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

A revived player comes back with his score back at zero, so logically he also loses any special equipment he had. It's a reset

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    A revived player comes back with his score back at zero, so logically he also loses any special equipment he had. It's a reset
    @Amnesiac-Hmm, interesting theory. Would this include his g-suit? I hadn't thought of the possibility of him losing his equipment. I don't think that is all that likely. He didn't seem to care when his mec and flying bike were destroyed(probably thinking that he would receive them when returning to the room...) Unfortunately the best point i can come up with is that Katou still had his Y-gun when he came back(I know that this will most likely spark another debate and that its really not that good a point). I think that the only thing we can do is wait and see unless you have a good supporting argument.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member georgemarvin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Oka served several purposes already.
    1. He let us see the armor and giant robot in action that Oku first showed us the drawings of waaaayy back in issue 154, as well as showing that some of the bikes can fly.
    http://mangavolume.com/index.php?ser...154&page_nr=24
    2. He showed us that nobody's immortal, no matter how many times they ave cleared.
    3. He showed us just how inferior that the Tokyo Gantz team's equipment really is.
    4. He showed us just how effective Nishi's stealth tactics are.
    5. By having Oka walk away from the fight, he provided Oku with a way to cut Nuri down to size, while still allowing the Tokyo team to get the kill.
    6. His "death" was a great way to keep fans interested in the series. After all, the battle had taken nearly 2 years; that's a long time for even an epic battle, much less a preliminary one leading up to the big fight.

We'll probably see Oka again before the series ends; I don't think he's really dead. But if he is, Nishi recognized him, so it's even possible that Nishi will rez him with his 100 points. Not likely; Nishi's a selfiish little bastard. But possible.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Wtf are you talking about George... Nishi didn't even see Oka... he was all wounded n' shit. Not only that, but Oka's in a seperate memory/database.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    We'll probably see Oka again before the series ends; I don't think he's really dead. But if he is, Nishi recognized him, so it's even possible that Nishi will rez him with his 100 points. Not likely; Nishi's a selfiish little bastard. But possible.
    @georgemarvin- I also don't recall Nishi knowing who Oka was. Im not ruling it out because Nishi has contacts and with such a high level Gantzer to not be known by Nishi would be suprising. It would appear that the Osaka team was well in tune with the the goings on of Gantz as well. They were overly confident and the heroin junkie had a laptop/camera hooked up to some kind of points system. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Osaka team was involved with some kind of online Gantz network that Nishi is part of. Granted a lot of the team was comprised of idiots who thoroughly believed that the tokyo team were the aliens. However there were much smarter members on the team that would care enough to know the goings on of other teams. For example when Nishi showed "catastrophe" he mentioned that "we"(or something along those lines) didn't know what it was but came to the general concencus that it probably had to do with nuclear war.(suggesting that he was talking to MANY members of other Gantz groups)

So Im way off topic... but I think that the possibility of Nishi reviving Oka is unlikely like Damura said(I mean this is really something we haven't seen yet and the limited size of the memory would suggest that revivng a player is specific to your respective gantz ball) Again Im not going to rule out the possibility especially since gantz is malfuntiong but I would believe the theory that if Nishi knows who Oka is that he is confident that he will be revived by his own team. He probably doesn't care. He was more interested in Izumi and if Nishi is ever to revive ANYONE it would probably be Izumi because he played with him and saw his skills first hand.

Im still confident that if Oka is ded that he will be revived by the Osakan team and that the nerd kid is going to turn rambo(mark my words bud-RAMBO).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry GeorgeMarvin I gotta agree with everyone else. Nishi
    doesn't know or has ever seen Oka before. Besides Oka is in Osaka's
    data banks just like Ansu. Somebody from Osaka would have to
    revive him.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If Nishi and Oka are both members of the gantz chan/internet community of bloggers, then they "know" each other (omg, they're friends on myspace). Given that both characters' knowledge of gantz is far superior to that of other hunters, it's 95% probable that they are both members of the internet community. Also, there was a page where Nishi said Oka's name (one could come to a lot of conclusions about this). Based on this, and one's determination to follow the set of implications Oku has left us with, one could easily conclude that they know one another. Besides, if Oka was one of the "stars" of gantz, which we assume he was, then he's bound to have prestige in the community.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    If Nishi and Oka are both members of the gantz chan/internet community of bloggers, then they "know" each other (omg, they're friends on myspace). Given that both characters' knowledge of gantz is far superior to that of other hunters, it's 95% probable that they are both members of the internet community. Also, there was a page where Nishi said Oka's name (one could come to a lot of conclusions about this). Based on this, and one's determination to follow the set of implications Oku has left us with, one could easily conclude that they know one another. Besides, if Oka was one of the "stars" of gantz, which we assume he was, then he's bound to have prestige in the community.
    @kaliayev- well i think the point is just that it didn't appear that he knew of Oka as well as someone like Izumi. Nishi and Oka didn't cruise over to each other and fist bump each other like buds either. It is likely that they know about each other or have even talked to each other online but i have a feeling like their relationship is simular to our relationship with other manga helpers. Im gonna agree with most guys on here about theories or speculation but im not gonna sit down and have a beer with them and shoot the shit because what the relationship is is business.

In conclusion they probably do know each other but they would never show it. There is also no real evidence that I know of that suggests that they do know each other.

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast