Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Seinen Hangout

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MH Seinen Hangout

That is a damn good list, you could do a lot worse. It's not all seinen (mostly, not all) but the Manga Taisho Awards are always good too. Whatever genre or demographic they always select great series. Not just the winners but all the nominees.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That is a damn good list, you could do a lot worse. It's not all seinen (mostly, not all) but the Manga Taisho Awards are always good too. Whatever genre or demographic they always select great series. Not just the winners but all the nominees.
    Aye, not bad either. Still so far I think I preferr the media arts festival awards.

Historie is a very enjoyable read, but I don't see how it won against Kokou no Hito. Perhaps it's just the scenario beeing a little more interesting for Japanese readers? After all I guess that I'm much more familiar with greek/macedonian/persian ancient history, personalities and sagas than most Japanese students are, simply because of the geographics and culture of Europe.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Um, th winner 2010 caught my attention a long time ago, but I just could not find that manga scanned, I knew it was a good manga since it even won this award, but I'd better ask my fellow seinen fans if there is a group that is scanning Thermae Romae, I just love historic series?

Also glad Historie also won an award, it is connected with the history of my country after all.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I'd also been interested in Thermae Romae for a long time and couldn't find anything.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    yeah I'd also been interested in Thermae Romae for a long time and couldn't find anything.
    Yeah the best I can find of it was two volumes to download raw in think but no trans or scan, sad really and it is an award winning series, I suppose many online readers did not show interest.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully someone develops an interest in Thermae Romae, the raws look awesome. And it's from Comic Beam, a sure sign of quality as far as I am concerned. There are some interesting looking series nominated this year too: Omo ni Naitemasu is by the mangaka of Kuragehime, a series I really enjoy. Daisuke Igarashi's new series is nominated. Brides Story, by the mangaka of Emma, is nominated. Great series and fully tranlsated. I hope I am a Hero wins this year. Great manga, great main character.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the magna Saint Young Men have a thread? I searched the forums but I could not get clear results?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

No clear results usually means no. Feel free to open threads for such series if you aren't sure after using the search function
    And if the thread looks nice I'll probably go ahead and start reading it soon, too

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    No clear results usually means no. Feel free to open threads for such series if you aren't sure after using the search function
    And if the thread looks nice I'll probably go ahead and start reading it soon, too
    Thanks I felt like the series needed a thread and attention, I would also try to recommend it in the featured series thread. It is a comedy seinen.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. I think it does have a thread, Benjamin. Iirc, it was stickied a long time ago, back when Agrias was a seinen mod...

and here you have it: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57186
    Last edited by baboysai; February 16, 2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it wrong that I actually like Arakawa more than St. Young Men. I love both but Arakawa appeals to my sense of humor. And Hoshi is epic

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I like both equally. But for different reasons. I like Arakawa for Nino (obviously- avatar?) and Ric. I like St. Young Men for the whole idea itself. But the humor of both appeal to me.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I always felt them to be similar, I would put Yotsubato! with those two manga as well, I mean sure it is not from the same author, but Arakawa Under the bridge, Saint Young Men and Yotsubato! pretty much belong to the same genre of seinen comedy.

Any similar manga to them?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    I like both equally. But for different reasons. I like Arakawa for Nino (obviously- avatar?) and Ric. I like St. Young Men for the whole idea itself. But the humor of both appeal to me.
    I love both but I love how silly and warm Arakawa is. The humor is similar in both but something about Arakawa is so human.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    I always felt them to be similar, I would put Yotsubato! with those two manga as well, I mean sure it is not from the same author, but Arakawa Under the bridge, Saint Young Men and Yotsubato! pretty much belong to the same genre of seinen comedy.

Any similar manga to them?
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's shonen but it may be the most cynical manga ever. The anime is even better than the manga. Pyu to Fuku Jaguar is similar but it's also shonen

How could I forget! Super Cruel and Terrible Tales of Mangaka. If there is a just and loving god someone will translated Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, if they can somehow find raws. It's out of print now but I've read the first volume of the old VIZ version of volume 1.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 16, 2011 at 10:35 PM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Zetsubou, Kait. And it never crossed my mind that it was actually shounen.

Yeah I've seen scans of that VIZ version of "Even a Monkey can draw manga" coz I think you mentioned it at some point, Kait. It's a surprise that VIZ even decided to do it. Dark Horse was probably more up to it.

New Reply
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast