Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Seinen Hangout

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MH Seinen Hangout

well what I really do is look for the manga title, and as it shows, there usually is a link to the thread, thanks to the lovely DB mods.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I read Book of the Moon, an extraordinary one shot by Furuya Usamaru. Rich in symbolism, Book of the Moon stands with Music of Marie as Furuya's most accomplished story. It is chapter 5 in his one shot collection Garden. I highly recommend reading it, along with all of the other collected stories. It's a great overview of Furuya's various styles, from gekiga to mainstream seinen.

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, well since I would consider it a seinen title, are there any manga which has characters that are philosophers? Nothing magical or fantastical, just pure realistic philosophy? Not a realistic title though, something with more philosophy to it?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Music of Marie comes to mind. Very similar to Book of the Moon, only longer. Anything by Daiuke Iragashi would qualify. Witches is the only manga of his that is fully translated online. All four volumes of Children of the Sea are available for sale in the US and Canada. Fujiwara Kaoru's manga are all very philosophical too. She does josei not seinen though.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My reading list of awesome Seinen becomes longer rather than shorter
    Currently reading 20th Century Boys, and it lives up to the hypes and rewards easily. A great manga, kinda the same type of thriller as Death Note but with this lovely 60's/70's/Rock contents and time jumping all the time. Great storytelling and cool characters!

Afterwards I'll probably read Kisswood. Really, I go by cover pages - good cover page -> I'll start reading
    And this one is kinda awesome: http://8.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8...wood_cover.jpg
    Also: Gon. Someone posted some really funny pictures of it, without any words or stuff - they just looked so hilariously funny, and I love this wordless humor! This is the type of page that gets me laughing: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...anga/055gc.jpg

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't read Gon, it is reputably a classic. If it lives up to reputation let me know. Beginning in August Kodansha will be reissuing it in the States. 20th Century Boys is definitely a classic, maybe the best mystery/thriller in manga history.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I still haven't read Gon, it is reputably a classic. If it lives up to reputation let me know. Beginning in August Kodansha will be reissuing it in the States. 20th Century Boys is definitely a classic, maybe the best mystery/thriller in manga history.
    I think Gon big times is a question of personal taste. I mean it contains not a single line of text and only gives comedy via images. I think it's hilarious and great though, you should definitly give it a try

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with an open mind, high tolerance for disturbing imagery and themes should check out God's Child. This is proper alternative manga, modern art in the format of a comic. I've had the chance to read a little of the Nishioka siblings warped work before and am really excited for more. Fans of Kago Shintaro's or Furuya Usamaru's 'Garden' and 'Palepoli' will enjoy. Please keep in mind this series has some very disturbing scenes and is not for everyone.

13. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I see, also translated by Kotonoha, they have such an interesting choice of series!
    I'll definitly have a look at it. It's already completed with only those five chapters, isn't it?
    Edit: nvm, seems 1 volume is all but that it actually has 11 chapters, so there must be 6 more to come.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything scanned by Kotonoha is worth checking out.

Just got done reading the released chapters of God's Child. It was wonderfully disturbing and twisted. Totally agree with what Kaiten said about it. This is alt manga to the core. It really feels like you're reading a piece of modern art. But yeah, it is most definitely not for everyone. But if you have a strong stomach and want to expand your manga horizons, I would recommend giving it a try.

I hadn't read anything by the Nishioka siblings before, but now I really want to check out more. I had seen Journey to the End of the World a long while back and thought it sounded interesting, but kind of forgot about it until now. Anybody read this? It looks like the scans stalled quite a while ago, which I'm sure is why I didn't take a look at it the first time I heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I read Book of the Moon, an extraordinary one shot by Furuya Usamaru. Rich in symbolism, Book of the Moon stands with Music of Marie as Furuya's most accomplished story. It is chapter 5 in his one shot collection Garden. I highly recommend reading it, along with all of the other collected stories. It's a great overview of Furuya's various styles, from gekiga to mainstream seinen.
    Kaiten already knows my opinion on this, but Book of the Moon is one of the best things I've read in a very long time. It was sooooooo gorgeous. The themes were totally different, but when reading it, I got the same feeling from it that I got when reading Music of Marie. The art style, the tone, everything reminded me of Music of Marie. I love all of Furuya's various styles, but this is the one that really grabs me the most. I wish he would write more stories like this.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Journey to the End of the World is great, sadly scanlations are unfinished and I don't know if they will ever be completed. A very short one shot of theirs is in the absolutely essential AX, Volume 1 collection.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's licensed in English? I've seen that collection before, but never realized it was licensed. I will certainly be purchasing this. <333

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was compiled for the US market, could be wrong though.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Journey is something we want to restart over at Mangascreener, but so far we haven't managed to trick someone into translating it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I figured. I'm sure it takes a special person to translate Nishioka

New Reply
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast