Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Seinen Hangout

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by luca_torkjør
    Hellsing: Alucard=just sexyyy...*sigh*
    Battles are pretty gory but cool
    No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P

Translator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zombietoaster
    No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P
    yea just because a manga has some gore, it doesnt necessarily mean it is cool.

oh well gory scenes scare the hell out of me lol
    Still I crave for Seinen, somewhat bloody ones,
    I dont feel like reading Shonen mangas any longer, cept for good ones. ・・・なんて・・言ったりして・・

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the manga that have been mentioned are also personal favorites of mine, such as: Lone Wolf and Cub, Berserk, and Battle Royale (although I'm finding myself not liking it as much anymore...) for the same reasons that others have mentioned. So I'll talk about some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Priest by Myung Woo Hyung, cool characters and an even cooler story. The artwork is unique, dynamic, and fits so well with the story. It takes place in the american frontier and is about an undead priest who seeks vengence against a fallen angel and his disciples. It might sound corny at first but give the first volume a gander at your local bookstore and if you like seinen manga I'm sure you'll like this one.

Fist of the North Star by Tetsuo Hara and Buronson, since it was published by a Shounen magazine when it first came out I'm sure if some would count it as a Seinen manga... but I the action is so freaking awesome that I became a fan. The story isn't the best but it works alot better at pitting super powered fighters against each other (unlike DBZ).

Deus Vitae by Takuya Fujima, it has a fairly interesting story but what got me on the series is the incredible artwork. It's about a war between advanced android beings and humanity. The action is pretty decent but the art style is just sweet...

And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

luca_torkjør : well what you said made it sound like you think gore is a definate minus.

thorsama : I agree with you about priest. but for people who want to try it out. read atleast three volumes before making up your mind. the first two are very heavy on action, while the third is much more story. (it swings alot between those two in this series, wich i think is good.)

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Blade of the Immortal
    20th Century Boys
    3x3Eyes
    Monster
    Akira
    Mushishi
    Elfen Lied
    Oh My Goddess
    Chobits
    Vagabond
    Kozure Okami
    Gantz
    ... should be the ones I like really much. Nothing much to say why, I just like them.

*think* I know I have forgot something important on my list *think*

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thorsama

And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.
    T_T no truer words have been spoken.

Anyway, i dont think vagabond would transition that well into an ova. I mean the pace doesnt suit animation, most of the time. Talk about it in the vagabond section anyway, that is what it is for... Maybe i should ask about it.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member White Rabbit's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk
    20th Century Boys
    Vagabond
    Planetes
    Lone Wolf & Cub
    Eden
    Lady Snowblood
    Blade of the Immortal
    Samurai Executioner
    Kiseijuu
    Barefoot Gen
    Adolf
    Humunculus
    Akira
    Music of rebellion makes you wanna rage

But it's made by millionaires who're nearly twice your age

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 九尾写輪眼
    Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com
    oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Post Thanks / Like

Shamo- Just started it, a story about a 16 year old boy...blah blah, klls his parents goes to jail gets raped, learns selfdefence.
    Berserk-Tons of blood+Sex
    Gantz- Kei Kurono wins the story had great artistic categories.
    Vagabond- About a young man destined to become the best samurai

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

20th Century Boys , Berserk, Gantz, and Vagabond are my favs right now. I just love all of them they are just very addicting and I'm sure all of them will be classics for sure if they aren't already.
    BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni
    oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one
    u read it too? AWSOME!!
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Camena's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Seinen Manga?

wait...so does that mean Battle Angel Alita would be seinen??? I don't really know what to classify that one

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Seinen Manga?

it certainly fits the bill especially given how violent it sometimes get in Alita.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone! I have been looking avidly for a community which celebrates Seinen manga. It is perhaps my favourite type of manga, next to One Shots.

Kaiji Kawaguchi has been receiving a lot of attention from me recently. While his style is mild, he is a fantastic story teller that can really wind you up. His firm grip on reality, I find, has the reader respecting not only the characters but their situations, as well. In Araragi Express, the protagonist is both noble and earnest, a perfect role model for the male audience. As I was reading it, I was constantly saying; "what the fuck" and laughing. It was that good.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Taiyo Matsumoto's Black and White series, which was heavily stylised and focused a lot more on themes instead of the story.

I also like a lot which have already been mentioned; Bokko, Vagabond, Berserk, YKK, Gantz.

From this thread, though, I would be very interested in Monster, 20th Century Boys, Mushishi, Priest, and The Ravages of Time!
    They sound bloody good. Oh, I can't really remember this series, as I read it many years ago - but it was the first Seinen I read (not including Berserk or Blade of the Immortal!) called Sanctuary. I'd love to read it again.

New Reply
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast