Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Seinen Hangout

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MH Seinen Hangout

What is that? I never heard of that- but I am familiar with the book (the classic one- currently reading it) how are they related?

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I heard that Crime and Punishment: A Falsified Romance has been licensed. Is that true? I loved reading the series up until the scanlations stopped so reading the rest would be awesome! I also heard it got either a movie or a drama.
    It's on the JManga website, but there does not seem to be any plans to release it in book form.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    What is that? I never heard of that- but I am familiar with the book (the classic one- currently reading it) how are they related?
    The manga is (very) loosely based on the novel.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, compared to the book, I was a bit disappointed in the manga, I do not know, perhaps it was a bit too much to chew for the mangaka? I think visually he did not capture how I viewed the book.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

But the story gradually deviated from the book did it not? The series definitely got me interested in reading the original work (now that think about it, why am I not reading it now? )

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    But the story gradually deviated from the book did it not? The series definitely got me interested in reading the original work (now that think about it, why am I not reading it now? )
    I think the manga lacked the psychological tension that is common in the book, thanks to the writing style, though some things were done good visualization of:

Spoiler show

Still a good read, because it gets you interested in the novel.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

if that was the mangaka's intention then it certainly worked.

Most manga adaptations of classics tend to fall short. There are reasons why works are called classics in the first place, and it is always a great task to rewrite or adapt them. Bold, if anything.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been really into the works of Maruo Suehiro recently, reading two of his short gekiga, Warau Kyuuketsuki and Shoujo Tsubaki, last night. His work mix surrealism, violence, sex, and decadence as commentary on the strange, perverse nature of modern life. His artwork is gorgeous, with incredibly innovative panel work, often reproduced as lithographs in Japan. Much of his work borders on ero-guro, and are not for the faint of heart. Highly recommended for anyone not easily offended, looking for something of the highest artistic quality. Compare to the works of Nishioka Brosis or Kago Shintaro.
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

^He did 'The Strange Tale of Panorama Island', right? I've been wanting to buy that for a while now, but I think the release date keeps getting pushed back or something. I'm looking forward to it even more after sampling the art of some of the manga you mentioned in another thread.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Panorama Island is one of his manga. As of right now the release date is August 12, but Amazon does not yet allow for pre-order. As soon as they do, I am planning on buying it. From what I understand while Panorama Island still has an outsize amount of adult content, it is not borderline guro, like his older, Serindo published works.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As with all art, perverse stuff, nudity is common even in the more older stuff, with the new modern art it is no question it is the main. Though the mix of murder, violence and stuff is kind of a double edged sword. I do not know if it holds much value apart for being there just for gore fan-service. It is truly amazing that art has that far to display the utmost expressionistic aspects of life. It seems expressionism developed mostly out of all of the modern art styles. As his work can be seen on the evil human nature that is common in today's society, I think generally evil as an aspect of art has always been there, the display of it, it is better to see what is evil than to do it. I think it goes back to tragedy being there to get rid of the passions of man, said by Aristotle, though because today we can actually see these things more clearly, in a modern communications age, we slowly get used to them. But I think as far as it goes it can emotionally harm those who are not prepared. Still worth a try to at least see what it is.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

okay I just started reading REAL and I'm now in the 4th volume- I gotta say I missed Takehiko Inoue's humor. It was evident in Slam Dunk, but not quite so with Vagabond since it had a different mood and setting. But again with Real, because of the characters that he has in this story, his sense of humor is showing up again and I really enjoy his style.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here read Gisele Alain? I just sampled it, but it immediately reminded me of Emma. Even the art style vaguely resembles Mori Kaoru's. Did this author work as Mori Kaoru's assistant or something?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Mori Kaoru, I just finished Emma two days ago. But I'm pretty sure it's Josei. Although Otoyomenagatari would be seinen right?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Strictly, both seinen. None of Mori's series ran in josei magazines.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner haet's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Anyone here read Gisele Alain? I just sampled it, but it immediately reminded me of Emma. Even the art style vaguely resembles Mori Kaoru's. Did this author work as Mori Kaoru's assistant or something?
    Did a bit of googling; apparently she hasn't worked as Mori's assistant, but for what it's worth, she has apparently said that she's a fan of Mori's work

The art in Fellows! in general reminds me of Mori, really -- if they have a house style, I think Kaoru Mori would basically personify it -- but it's true that Sui Sasai (Gisele Alain's artist) draws so much like Mori that you could easily mistake them for the same person. There's gotta be some influence.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast