Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Seinen Hangout

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

MH Seinen Hangout

*hijacks thread* The seinen section got a little revamp last night, as you can see

Discussion threads that aren't aimed at a specific series have to go to the Otaku Cafe from now. The demographic boards will be focus on the one-thread-per-series-schema. But we're not that evil to chase our seinen fans completely off into the mixed-demographic discussion section - so here's the MH Seinen Hangout for the more commonly seinen talk!

Feel free to chat about "manly manga" in general and about those who don't fit the stereotypical description of seinen. Discuss seinen magazines, authors & artists, the scanlation scene and meet other seinen manga lovers and fans of mature manhwa (seongin) and manhua as well.

Have fun! ~eni

Spoiler show
    Last edited by baboysai; March 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is Seinen Manga?

thanks for letting us know what is the real meaning since at first sight the first thing that came to my mind was ero-senin...lol (naruto)

<br />[B]Looking for translators for hayai scanations...current project Rave Master.<br />go to <br />Topic Requesting Translators

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member okyatoks's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    thanks for letting us know what is the real meaning since at first sight the first thing that came to my mind was ero-senin...lol (naruto)

That was funny!!!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ohh right now i know what mean seinen
    before i just know read manga

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Your favorite seinen (and why)

This forum seems to rely on shounen manga mainly, but once you get to a certain point when reading manga, you'll start to question wether there isnt anything more mature. And I thought we'd use this topic to talk about some awesome seinen!

Personally I'm not that much into violent seinen, when I read something mature I prefer reading something psychological or slice-of life.

Say hello to Black Jack
    Probably the one that opened my eyes for seinen, starts off pretty slow but gets very intense after a few volumes. Too bad the scanlations stopped, but for the few lucky ones that know french, dutch or japanese; stick with it and you wont regret it!
    About a young man who starts his career as a doctor but quickly finds out about the "dark side" of the medical world.
    This manga had such an impact in Japan that they even changed laws!
    The artwork is very good too, and that's always a plus! I think you can get the first volume on www.toriyamaworld.com

Monster, 20th Century Boys & Pluto
    By grandmaster Urasawa, probably the best writer in seinen manga ever. Thrillers like you'll never see another in manga. Epic of proportion, dark & twisted underneath, plot-twists up the wazoo. Just stop reading this and go read them instead.

Mangascreener
    You might think "Huh, is that even a manga?".
    No, it is not. But it is without a doubt the BEST seinen scanlation group there exists. High quality releases of the best you can find in its genre. They did Monster & 20th Century Boys too fyi.
    Just check out anything there and you're bound to find something to your liking if you're searching for intelligent manga.
    Personal favorites: Ryuguden, Homunculus, Mushishi, Ciguatera, Vinland Saga
    the url: www.mangascreener.com

Especially Homunculus is one of the most twisted rides ever. It's by the guy that did the manga of Ichi the Killer (which the movie was loosely based on, but the manga is so much better and even more insane).
    What really caught my attention about this before I started reading it was the story, allow me to quote:
    Quote Quote:
    Homunculus tells the story of a middle aged man, who spends his days living in a car, smack inbetween a park infested with homeless people and a large, upper-class hotel complex. He has nothing, yet he is always classily dressed and looks well taken care of, despite the fact he sleeps in his car. Once a day, he always takes the car out for a ride, no matter what the weather. One day, an oddly dressed young man approaches him, and asks him if he would like to participate in a little experiment... Involving having a hole drilled in his skull. He promptly refuses; he has no need for money anyway. The next day, however, his car runs out of gas and gets towed. Desperate for money to get his car back, he approaches the young man and accepts to have the hole drilled in his skull. ''A safe procedure.'', he is assured. But then, of course, that's when the side effects kick in...
    The madness really kicks in at volume 2.

Zetman
    This is probably the only exception as far as violent manga go in seinen. But I'm just a mad fan of Masakazu Katsura's artwork.
    The same reason I loved I''s so much, despite I'm not that big on ecchi.
    It's like a superhero comic, but manga-fied. It starts off slow, but there's enough to hold your attention till the later volumes.

and last, but definitely not least (I'd even say best)
    is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    The most relaxing, mind-massaging manga you'll ever read. It's basically about a female robot called Alpha who tends to a little café in a post-apocalyptic Yokohama.
    Don't expect any sci-fi action, these are all just slice-of-life stories that totally make you chill out. Very beautifull artwork, especially the environments.
    some links:
    http://www.cafealpha.org/
    http://ykk.misago.org/
    http://souhaku.ufpag.com/index.php?m...age&PAGE_id=22

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Kiseijuu and Homunculus is most certainly my favorite onces. The reason, both plays with the mind and makes you really think.. or that's what I think anyway.
    Oh and if one want's BT version of the co-op projects @ mangascreener the place to look is at The Hawks who have done many of them.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't know Zetman was seinen ( I recently read the first chapter a while ago ). But my favorite Seinen manga would be Blade of the Immortal - although it's very close between BotI, Berserk, and Vagabond. It just depends on which artistic style I'm most more interested into at the moment. I haven't read anything outside of warrior seinen manga yet, though.

Post Thanks / Like

i gots to go with Elfen Lied, Hellsing, and Gantz.

EL- cute little girl kills so awesomely, but has a much sweeter split personality.
    Hellsing - vampire/vamp-hunter/nazi free-for-all war (with the Big D himself, of course).
    Gantz- taking names, kickin *ss. repeat steps 1 and 2.

then again, a 18.6 gb hd doesn't allow for many whole series, what with naruto, bleach, op, kenshin, sk, flcl and a bunch of other non-seinen series.i don't have enough space for another series. i need a new computer so badly

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say my favorite Seinen mangas to read would have to be:

I'll give descriptions after I finish reading the manga in whole or all that has been released

Battle Royale - Hands down one of the best mangas I've ever read. The story of what could have happened had Japan won World War II. Japan as a facist police state implements a tv show called the program, where one 9th grade class each year is sent to a evacuated location and forced to kill each other in front of cameras until only one of them is left. The plot centers around the main protaganist Shuuya Nanohara, but the way they go into detail its almost as if everyone has a co-lead so to speak. It also has 2 of the coolest villains ever the sociopathic and overly sexual Mitsuko "hardcore" Souma and Kiriyama a wealthy genius who has the inability to feel emotions. You may have heard of this due to the controversial movie of the same name, but the movie doesn't do this work of art justice at all. So much more in depth and such better battles many of which are drawn out into more then 3 fights. Back stories for every student gives more of an explanation as to why they act they way they do given their situation. Very Violent and Graphic Sexual content in a few parts, the content is rather disturbing sometimes, not for the light of heart. If you have the stomach for it this is a must read!!!

Parasyte/Kiseijuu - I'll write a review for this but I'm only up to chapter 25

Gantz - The story of Kurono Kei a typical heterosexual japanese male, who meets a classmate from his childhood in a subway station one day and they witness a homeless drunk about to get hit by a train. They save the mans life at the cost of their own, only to realize they are not dead, but are now part of an militia (for lack of better words) who are all newly deceased and recieve missions from a black ball with a sleeping extraterrestrial in it, to kill certain aliens that normal people can not see. Later on you find out vampires come into the mix. As ridiculous as all that sounds its awesome and worth a read at least through the first alien hunt. Lots of violence and sex, so if big boobs and severed body parts offend you don't read it.

Berserk - Probably the most popular Seinen manga, follows the story of Guts, a mercenary with insanely inhuman strength. The first third of the manga is basically the same as the 26 episode anime, except a few main characters are left out in the anime. I'd say the manga is more Violent and deffinately has more sexual content. Basically its a midevil/supernatural manga that has a lot of different arcs to it (the story really changes as it goes on) This is one hell of a violent manga with a lot of rape, so if that isn't you cup of tea I'd advise you do read this.

Post Thanks / Like

where I can get Naoki URASAWAs manga ?

He made many legendery things, like
    20th Century Boys
    Happy!
    Jigoro!
    Master Keaton
    Master Keaton
    Monster
    Pineapple Army
    Pluto
    Yawara! A fashionable Judo Girl

I have only 20th CB, do you know guys where I can download the rest?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz Section Created!

New Gantz Board!

We finally created it thanks to the contributions of Jinchuuriki and HisshouBurakien.

EDIT: And Illuminati-Manga. XD

Have fun there discussing and helping fans get their Gantz chapters.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member La_Muerte's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz Section Created!

yay

Get Zan http://kamikaze.dreamhosters.com/
    Quote Quote:
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Shaka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome
    I walked around the world to discover that what I was looking for was inside of me.<br />

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

you rock lol its about time. Gantz is awesome

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, no mention of I-M?

._.

Well, if you prefer LQ releases, don't mention us ;/

But, anyhow, thanks for the Gantz board. I'll give you guys a heads up when we put out our releases that aren't mis-labeled & don't have horribly colored extras.

New Reply
Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast