Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Shounen Hangout

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MH Shounen Hangout

I'd recommend Vinland Saga as well. It has some interesting characters and a nice storyline to it (with a revenge theme, though not quite as dark as Berserk, which I see you're reading).

Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi or a classic like Rurouni Kenshin. If you're willing to step a bit out of your comfort zone and try a sports/slice-of-life manga, please give Cross Game a try. It's storytelling at its best.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi
    How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mad Re: MH Shounen Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you
    I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conn-man View Post
    I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?
    Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it
    Totally agree with koen here. The early chapters all kind of follow the same formula and in a way that they give you the "wash, rinse, repeat" sort of feeling, but I wouldn't call them bad by any means. I still found them to be entertaining because I really like the characters. The story starts to pick up once a certain older brother character is introduced (around volume 3 or 4, iirc?), but I'd actually give it at least 50 chapters or so before judging. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give it a shot.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I started reading kekkaishi like I said a few posts ago and now I'm on ch 102. I love it and recommend it to who ever likes really well thought out plot and characters should read this, it does read a little richer than most but its worth it.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew you were going to like it conn-man. It'll become even better I am glad that you have considered reading it and that you like it.

Did you like it from the beginning? Or did you have to struggle yourself through it?
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i've liked all of it, the early chapters were all character development and humor and thats never a bad thing. the highlights of the early chapters for me was the stuff with uro-sama, that was fun, and when shishio came onto the scene.

now the story has gone crazy, but its still organized. all these new groups and characters, im having trouble remembering names of people and places but ill catch on.

yoshimori is definitly my favorite character, and as you can see, madarao. yoshimoris growth has been very good, him and tokine both need a power boost at the stage im at, so im looking forward to that. ill hop onto the kekkaishi thread as soon as im all caught up.
    Last edited by conn-man; December 08, 2010 at 04:49 PM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    I was thinking of going with a great Shounen-type manga...
    From the list in the Shounen section... which should I choose?

- D.Gray Man
    - Hitman Reborn
    - Fairy Tale
    - Psyren
    - HunterXHunter

I also heard about Veritas being great....
    And I was wondering if anyone had read Vinland Saga...

I'm looking for something that would fit with what I love (see the list I read), but that wouldn't be too much of the same thing again...

Thanks a lot guys!!

PS: By the way, I recommand any of those manga/anime I listed above!
    From the 5 on your list I have not read Reborn but concerning the other one. I guess HunterXHunter is a must be at least until the end of the Greed Island saga. After you need to bear the huge number of hiatus Togashi is taking. Fairy Tail is quite enjoyable but not at the same level as One Piece. I found the last arcs quite weak but the new one looks promising. Psyren is ok but I must say I'm not a huge fan of it (and the art is not really impressive). I used to follow D. Gray Man but it's becoming complex and I find there are too much incoherences.

Otherwise, I would recommand Kenichi and Gintama. I found them better than the ones above and Gintama has been some of my biggest laugh in 2010.

A bit of topic wrt to this thread, if you have not read some of Naoki Urasawa works (Monster, 20th century boy...), do it.

And GTO, did you forget it ?
    Last edited by k-dom; December 11, 2010 at 04:15 PM.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with k-dom on Fairy Tail and DGM (though I'm still reading it and trying to understand it ). Psyren is pretty good, though the pacing can feel off at times, especially the end (but it was inevitable). I thought the art for Psyren was impressive, actually, but I guess it could be a matter of taste.

Kenichi is another good one - also quite realistic in that all the martial arts and moves are really real. Matsuena-sensei does his research, that's for sure If you like/enjoy ecchi as well, this would also be right up your alley...

I'd also recommend Nurarihyon no Mago. Under-read manga with great art and a great story. The starting is admittedly slow, but once you get past that, every arc just gets better and better. It's very charming because most of the characters are based on Japanese folklore and it has a sort of mystic feel about it.

If you're looking for a slightly different kind of shounen, I'd recommend Bakuman. (*biased*) In Bakuman, the pen is truly mightier than the sword! You won't be seeing fistfights or sword duels and whathaveyou that you're probably used to seeing in shounen manga, but they "battle" with drawing manga! It's definitely a breath of fresh air~

If you're wondering about length (if it matters in helping you make the choice ), Psyren, Mago and Bakuman are all fairly short, so they should be fairly quick reads/catch-ups. DGM and FT would take longer but they aren't that long either. Kenichi is past the 400 mark, so it would take you the longest.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend -Hitogatana-. Only three chapters have been translated so far, so far it's really good. Great art, great action scenes, great main character, and potential for a great story. Huner x Hunter is obviously classic, not quite One Piece but almost as good. I'm behind on my reading but Mago and Gamaran are also great. The latter is just vicious; no special powers, no fantasy, just brutal fighting and strategy.

I do read Vinland Saga and love it. Very similar to Berserk, without the fantasy settings and less violent. Vinland is not as good but if you like Berserk you'll like Vinland.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Shounen fans: Don't miss the first Mangahelpers Manga Awards! Nominations are open here!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

A friendly reminder since I've noticed more and more deletes.

For new members, and maybe old members who may have forgotten. There is a "Thanks" button at the area where you can find "edit" and "quote" buttons at the signature area of a post. Now what I want to remind people is that its great to show gratitude and say thanks but rather than posting thanks to a person what you should do is to click the "Thanks" button. Not only will this free up posts that don't really add to the discussion but it also saves your time posting a one liner - which you should generally avoid in the first place.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ao no Exorcist by Katou Kazue

just for my personal knowledge what is a cursive writing in japanese and why is it hard to read ?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member l3gitimat3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ao no Exorcist by Katou Kazue

i wasnt even aware u could write japanese in cursive
    O_e
    Icon made by me!~

Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast