Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Lesson - The Basics: Understanding Layers

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lesson - The Basics: Understanding Layers

Layers are perhaps the most powerful function ever contrived in graphics design software. Their concept is extremely simple, and also essential to anyone who ever wants to be able to do pretty much anything in Photoshop.

Here's my attempt to explain what layers are and do, with some links below to some other people's explanations just in case you still don't understand:
    • A layer in Photoshop is "container" that contains graphical data.
    • Using layers means that the file you are working on is not "flat". Instead, it consists of multiple images stored in layers stacked on top of each other.

Let's say I opened up Photoshop and I drew a circle. Now I want to give my circle eyes because I want to turn it into a smiley face. I have two options: 1) Just draw the damn eyes, or 2) Make a new layer for the eyes.

You should be familiar with option 1. Let me explain option two.

I'm now going to use an ANALOGY.

Have you ever seen 8.5 inch x 11 inch (standard paper size) pieces of plastic that are transparent? Also known as "laser transparencies" that I can print stuff on and then display onto a white screen by shining a lightbulb behind it? That's essentially what a layer is.

In Photoshop the layer at the very bottom (also known as the background layer) can be likened to a piece of paper. Every layer I create on top of that is a sheet of transparency.

So in real life, let's say I draw a circle on a piece of paper. Now I want to give it eyes, but I'm not gonna just draw them, I go to my local stationary store and buy some laser transparencies. I put the transparency on top of my paper where I drew the circle, and then I draw my eyes on top of that with a marker (markers can draw on plastic).

There are a couple of advantages to this:
    1) I can move the piece of plastic transparency around freely without affecting the circle under it.
    2) I can wipe and erase anything I draw on the plastic without having to worry about affecting the circle under it.

That's exactly how a layer works in Photoshop, only I don't have to go to the stationary store to place a transparency on top of my paper, I just hit the New Layer button at the bottom right of my screen. I also don't have to only use marker, I can use all the Photoshop tools I want on my layers.

Get it now?

Further Reading:
    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc5/v41/linda41.htm
    http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/onli...ers/layers.htm

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member La_Muerte's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lesson - The Basics: Understanding Layers

cool, i knew this but u made it sound simple and i understand it better than i used to

Get Zan http://kamikaze.dreamhosters.com/
    Quote Quote:
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured it's the perfect starting point for our Lessons. If you don't understand Layers, then you pretty much can't do anything ^_^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member delete's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question. What are the modes for? Normal, multiply, darken, etc. What does each one do? ^^

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Normal is normal.

Screen and Multiply are opposites of each other, and are the most useful non-normal modes.

Screen will make the layer only display the parts of the layer that are brighter than the layer(s) beneath it.

Multiply will make the layer only display the parts of the layer that are darker than the layer(s) beneath it.

Brighten and Darken do the same thing, but not as well because they're not as anti-aliased.

I don't really know what the other ones do.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Darken just shows the parts darker than the parts below it as normal (so parts brighter than the parts above it in the darken layer will totally disappear).
    Multiply basiclly covers the layer beneath while making it darker (parts brighter than the multiply layer will show, but will be darker).

I'm so bad at explaining stuff..

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanations. :knk
    I really appreciate the explanations. I only use mutiply, soft light and normal. I never know the usage of luminosity, exclusion and so on. >.> There's even a mode called 'color'. What exactly does it do?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member delete's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation ^^

n00bish question:
    Is it possible to merge just two, three layers, etc, but not all? If so, how?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

@delete just select the layers you want to merge (using control and left click) then right click em and choose merge layers ^__^

@Reen I will take a look and perhaps make a list of them :@

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@delete: Also when you select just a single layer, and hit CTRL-E, it will merge with the layer directly beneath it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you It's easy to understand ^ ^

New Reply