Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Which Shichibukai is the Strongest

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dracule Mihawk

15 53.57%
  • Donquixote Doflamingo

7 25.00%
  • Bartholomew Kuma

1 3.57%
  • Boa Hancock

0 0%
  • Blackbeard

4 14.29%
  • Trafalgar Law

0 0%
  • Crocodile

0 0%
  • Gekko Moriah

1 3.57%
  • Jinbe

0 0%
New Reply
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Power of the Shichibukai

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finale's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time for the top 3 SH's to move up to Shichibukai level?

One last comment on the whole was Ace part of WB's crew before his fight with Jinbei, if Ace was a member at the time of his fight with Jinbei it wouldn't be surprising to Ace that Jinbei has visited WB's ship many times before because he likely would've been present for at least one such meeting.

As far as the SH's and Shichibukai level go, Jinbei being on the up and up kinda ruins my hopes for Sanji having a Shichibukai level opponent unless he fights Doflamingo or someone else that could be added later. Before he was even introduced I pictured Jinbei as being a powerful fishman karate martial artist that would be his version of Mihawk vs Zoro. However being the honorable man that he is I doubt he would fight Sanji if Luffy is the one to rescue him. After this arc it may be a while before the SHs face another Shichi since I see them making their moves while the WG is in disarray after the WB war. So there may be a few openings in the Shichi ranks.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time for the top 3 SH's to move up to Shichibukai level?

Sorry Imitorar, but I just can't let this slide without explaining one more thing.
    As far as I'm concerned, the offtopic posts could have been moved to a better topic quite a few posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    One last comment on the whole was Ace part of WB's crew before his fight with Jinbei, if Ace was a member at the time of his fight with Jinbei it wouldn't be surprising to Ace that Jinbei has visited WB's ship many times before because he likely would've been present for at least one such meeting.
    You might want to read this page again.
    Ace was only surprised about Jinbei's claim that he hates pirates.
    But I agree otherwise.

No, just to say at least something about the title of the thread.
    Luffy is already there, more or less, since Shichibukai's strenght varies a lot. Zoro isn't that far behind either, but Sanji has a little more work cut out for him.
    It's not something that will happen in a blink of an eye.

Moderator message by: Imitorar
    Well, the discussion has been moved, as I said it would be. To everyone, please keep your discussion of the strength of the Shichibukai in this thread, and out of the other thread.
    Last edited by Imitorar; February 16, 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Power of the Shichibukai

Some recent discussion got me thinking for a bit. You know how often we love sizing up the Strawhat's against the threats (well at the moment its the jailbreak league vs Impel Down we're guessing), so let's say Oda gets bored tomorrow (not gonna happen) and stereotypically matches the 8 Shichibukai (if you include Crocodile) against the nine Strawhat's. What fights would you expect?

My list would be:
    Luffy v Blackbeard (Clash of D's)
    Zoro v Mihawk (kinda obvious)
    Sanji v DoFlamingo (Opposing personalities, but I can still see similarities)
    Robin v Hancock (...well it would be hot if nothing else...)
    Nami v Moria (both kind of mage style fighters)
    Chopper v Kuma (a doctor against doctor vegapunks greatest creation)
    Ussop v Jimbei (wannabe-brave versus a fishman of honour)
    Franky v Crocodile (I dunno, steel versus sand seems like a clash of eras though)

....and Brooke plays background music...

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Makki's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere here I saw, someone stated that DoFlamingo wants to be pirate king...
    That is absolutely not true.. It seems his plan is to destroy all the dreaming in the world (was it that?, please correct me if I am wrong).
    Also his power seems to be pretty strong. It seems he can control people against their will (I remember one chapter where he used that). So I guess a strong will (maybe some reference to Haki (King Haki) is needed to fight him.
    That all makes me doubt anyone of the SH would fight against DoFlamingo besides Luffy, just cuz luffy and doflamingo seem to oppose each other the most. But still there is no evidence for that either. Just my opinion and theory about Doflamingo.

And luffy surely is on the level of a shichibukai. But it is also true that he would not stand a chance against Mihawk for example. Same goes maybe for Zoro against Jimbei oder Sanji against Boa (definitely.haha). Their abilities are just so various that no one can beat all others. I think the same goes for the Shichibukai if they had to fight against each other.
    I felt like saying this...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Doflamingo isn't after the destruction of dreaming for the sake of it.
    Who gives a shit if people will dream or not. It's just that his philosophy is different, and he thinks poorly of people who do dream, to simplify it.
    Of course he wants to become a Pirate King. Otherwise he wouldn't give us all that crap about how the New Age is coming.

And I don't know if a strong will alone is going to be of any help. He seems to control muscles of other people, or maybe even nervous impulses. We have yet to see what's the principle behind his puppetry.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question, and I just want to say, I'm not arguing or anything, I'm just unsure of something.

How is Mihawk considered weaker than Black Beard? I know that he has given Shanks a scar, but he said that he was slow, and would be hurt more if he got hit than regular people would (I think, when he was vsing Ace and as he got burned). Also, I don't think Shanks lost to BB, otherwise he would have been caught, or at least injured more, he doesn't look like the guy that runs from a battle simply because he can not win. It was more likely because he didn't want to start anything with the Shichibukai.

I'm pretty sure Zoro is fast, which means Mihawk is faster, and could probably kill Black Beard before he used anything like that black hole thing. But even if BB got a hand on Mihawk somehow, it wouldn't do him much good, as Mihawk doesn't have DF abilities.

I was just wondering because Everyone put Mihawk below Blackbeard, could someone help explain to me why?

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minimz View Post
    Also, I don't think Shanks lost to BB, otherwise he would have been caught, or at least injured more, he doesn't look like the guy that runs from a battle simply because he can not win. It was more likely because he didn't want to start anything with the Shichibukai.
    Do you remember the first time we saw Shanks - when Luffy was a kid and when we Shanks was just beginning his own adventure as a captain - he already has this scar.
    So, it has nothing to do with BB as a Shichibukai. Moreover, BB wasn't a DF user either when he injured Shanks because he hasn't betrayed WB yet : indeed, at this time, Ace wasn't a pirate yet.

I suppose Shanks got his scar when him and BB were both under a Captain, Gold Roger for Shanks and WB for BB when they were both ship's boy, novice.
    If someone could find the picture when Shanks proposed Buggy to be his nakama, we normally would see the scar. If we see it, it means, he really got it when he was a Gold Roger's nakama. Otherwise, he got it when he was himself a captain and before he first met Luffy.
    He could also have got it during the year that precedes Gold Roger's death because Gold Roger disturbed the crew one year before he was killed. But it seems improbable : I don't see Shanks fighting the WB pirates alone ...
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; February 20, 2009 at 09:13 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, shanks is expected to be able to fight at or even above the admiral level given that he is a yonkou and everything. He said BB gave him that wound and it was no accident and there wasnt any carelessness on shanks part, meaning BB was strong enough to actually give shanks an injury when fighting seriously. Not only that but shanks was visible concerned of what BB might want to do and was certain ace wouldnt be able to defeat BB. While whether BB being able to defeat mihawk is pure speculation, it is very reasonable to assume BB is at the very least in the same tier as mihawk.

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, shanks is expected to be able to fight at or even above the admiral level given that he is a yonkou and everything. He said BB gave him that wound and it was no accident and there wasnt any carelessness on shanks part, meaning BB was strong enough to actually give shanks an injury when fighting seriously.
    Yes, BB was strong enough to give him such an injurie but why are you talking about Admiral Level and Yonkou ? Shanks was not so strong at this time.
    If I said, Alvida was strong enough to beat Coby (when he was not a marine yet), you cannot say that Alvida is at present as strong as Coby. This is the same with the guy who tried to kill Luffy when he was a kid. This is the same with Moria and Kaidou etc ...
    And of course, this is the same with BB : it was at a certain time he got the scar.
    Shanks is a yonkou and BB is not. BB is someone who will grow more and more but you cannot conclude BB is as strong or near Shanks in terms of strenght from the scar. So you cannot compare present and past. But the interesting thing is that his scar is burning, not only that he got the scar. WB also have a lot of scars of old ennemies but at present, there is no scar that burns (it means no old ennemy dangerous for him). Whereas, with Shanks'scar burning, we know that BB - who has always been strong - is now a really dangerous guy.
    Last edited by Lord Rayleigh; February 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok, it makes sense now, lol it gave me a shock that BB could give shanks (present) a scar... I guess BB would be roughly as strong as Mihawk, but I still think Mihawk's cooler ;D, anyway i just wanted to say thanks for clearing that out

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The strongest Shichibukai? (Pre-BB)

Who is the strongest among the Shichibukai? I wanted to use Crocodile instead of BB because I assumed that BB would win a majority of the vote.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The strongest Shichibukai? (Pre-BB)

I am inclined to believe mihawk is the strongest of the group you presented. I believe he could fight on par with either WB or shanks and the admirals.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Mihawk used to duel with Shanks back in the day he had 2 arms though no?

And nothing says that he lost baddly(or even if he lost IIRC) so technically, he CAN fight on par with Shanks lol

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mihawk is the most likely person probably, which is funny because he's the only one without DF powers. I don't really think that Croc or Moria have a chance since Luffy defeated them already. The rest all have an argument to be made for them. We're pretty well aware of Kuma's power, but the other 3 are still all up to personal instinct.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I have a feeling that everybody is going to say "Mihawk" simply because he looked so cool in his first appearance. I mean, there's nothing else to base it on. So he fought Shanks evenly, that was 10 years ago. Things can change in a decade. We have yet to see Jimbei fight, or see Hancock or Doflamingo engage in serious combat anyway, not to mention that Kuma looked mighty threatening back in chapter 484, and Moria gets shortchanged because Luffy beat him People have a tendency to ignore the beginning of chapter 464 and remember that Nightmare Luffy was the deciding factor in that fight. Crocodile also gets shortchanged, but he's much harder to defend, since he was actually outfought by Luffy, but bear in mind that it was a close thing, with Luffy saved twice and getting several lucky breaks. If he hadn't been conveniently carrying water around his neck, he never would have figured out how to hurt Crocodile. The circumstances ended up playing to Luffy's favor, but in circumstances less convenient for the opponent, Crocodile would be much more deadly.

In short, I think that due to lack of proper exposure, and no other way to determine strength in One Piece, you can't really judge which Shichibukai is the strongest. Personally, I'd be inclined toward Mihawk, Kuma, or Doflamingo, maybe Moria, but that's leaving Jimbei out just because we've seen absolutely NOTHING from him. So in shorter... I think that it could really be any of them except for Crocodile or Hancock.
    Last edited by Imitorar; March 29, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

New Reply
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast