Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The English Thread!! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Dark soul within View Post
    Yes we English have created some strange slang terms. Anyone know any Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Here's a few Ive heard before:

"Artful Dodger" - Lodger

"Barbed wired" - Tired

"Giraffe" - Laugh e.g. "You're having a giraffe"

"Macaroni" - Pony (slang for £25)

We're know for using a lot of idioms/similes in the southeastern United States. Here are some that I use:

That dawg won't hunt- That isn't good enough

It's colder than a witch's ___ out here!- self-explanatory

That's slower than molasses flowing uphill on a cold day- ...again self-explanatory (molasses is a thick syrup for those who don't know)

I'm sweatin' like a wh_re in church- It's hot, and I'm sweating profusely

That was mighty white of him- That was very kind

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Thread

Enklantii....

Nice thread. Well, I've been studying English in school for five years now. And I have almost perfect grades. Still, I don't understand everything you say here. But I understand most of it.
    Also my mother is a English teacher (food and kitchen things) and now I know what rutabaga means (and whats the difference between to cube and to dice). And my big brother had the best score in the english test that everyone (in the 9th grade) made. Our english teacher thought we lived in America for few years because my brothers accent is almost perfect (well, mine too).
    It was really weird when I saw a letter in our school where someone from america had written "where" to where he was supposed to write "wear".

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

i don't understand most of the shortcuts people use.I just know two of them;
    btw-by the way
    imo-in my opinion
    but there're lots of others people use very often.If you know any other,can you note them for me?
    (i know,this is not a question about the grammer but i lack understanding what's written so imo ( ) it still counts)

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

shinsengummi, look over this one:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...en_(Netzjargon)

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member zerocharisma's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The English Thread!! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    Just something interesting here..... (by the way, that is not even a sentence, it's just a phrase)

I live with my siblings and parents, whom you have met before.
    I live with my parents and siblings, whom you have met before.
    I live with my parents and siblings whom you have met before.
    I live with my siblings and parents whom you have met before.

I had my grammar class earlier on and I was intrigued to know the response from all of you regarding those 4 sentences above. What do they mean? I had a great time listening to all the debating and discussion about those 4 sentences so I just want to share them with you. XD

For those of you who want to know the explanation to those 4 sentences, here you go.

Spoiler: Try first before you click this though show

Interesting?
    One more detail about the above; when I write the sentence without the comma, I indicate that the siblings and parents (or vice versa) with which I am living are the ones you have met, as opposed to those which you have not met. Including the comma indicates that, oh by the way, you have met them before.

When I was teaching English, this confused most students: What is a comma splice and how do you fix it?

z.
    Last edited by zerocharisma; December 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner lordkaly's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

hi someone is here?
    i'm learning english and this post has inspired me..i am reading nodame's manga in english..so i need to improve my level of english---thanks
    no existen las coincidencias solo lo inevitable..todo se transforma..una y otra vez hasta que aprendas a mantener la boca cerrada y la mente abierta..siguiendo mi leyenda personal

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Punky fish View Post
    It was really weird when I saw a letter in our school where someone from america had written "where" to where he was supposed to write "wear".
    You'd be surprised at how inept most Americans are at using the English language

In any event, it's very common for people who study a language that isn't their own to acutally be better at using it the proper way than those of whom are native to said language. My friend was a A+ Spanish student in high school and is now double majoring Spanish with Political Science. He went to study abroad in Mexico earlier this year, and even though he is fluent in Spanish, he still had difficulty speaking with many people due to different dialects, misponuciation, etc.

Most people native to their own language butcher it with the use of slang, mispronunciation, verb confusion, etc. I for one have a New York accent and attend school in the Southern United States. When I try and communicate with some of my classmates it's like we're speaking two difference languages lol. I'm also told on a regular basis that I don't know how to pronounce words or speak the correct way because of my accent lol.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

When people want to read they are recommended to read a book that is appropriate to their abilities.
    However, what does that actually mean?
    How do you measure someone's reading ability?

Intl Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GEshode's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, when i want to read a book in a foreign language I take a look inside of it an see if i understand about two-thirds of a page if that is the case, then I probably would say it is appropriate to my abilities, because I can understand the major plot, but there is still something I can learn from the book. If two-thirds are not okay with you, maybe three-fourths are the way to go...

If you eliminate the impossible, what ever remains, how ever improbable, must be the thruth!
    The GEshode Thread
    The journey, which is called life

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.I suppose if I could read less than 2/3rd of the book I should go out there and get more experience first.Thanks for the reply.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

lol - laughing out loud
    wtf - what the f*&@
    lmao - laughing my ass off
    nsfw - not safe for work (don't open at work or you might get fired
    brb - be right back (I'll be be back in a minute)
    ttyl - talk to you later

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member rafazildo's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a teacher who said he was once in a congress.
    there were people of many countries, all of them speaking english.

surprisingly they had almost no difficult in understanding what each other was saying, but had trouble when the native english spokers were talking...

----------
    I try my best to write accordingly with the grammatical rules and stuff. But it's difficult.

On the other hand, it seens that in english, one have more freedom on the way of speaking/writing. I mean, albeit something is written all wrong, it still can be understandable by the others.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jackitshot's Avatar
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,buddy, I am learning english
    Can I have two questions? About dice, a big red dot on the dice is said as No.1 in english? or what?
    Spoiler show

And there are someones know or study wordpress for blogs? i am studying it.....

Enjoy yourself!

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoho, hello there!

Now, I see that the thread is as good as dead, but still I'll try to breathe some life into it.

First to answer the bloke's question: "ace", or "one"; whichever you choose. You could've googled it, though - much faster. Click.

And now to my question So I've recently started to wonder about the usage of "I" and "me", "he" and "him", etc. I read the basic rule regarding this issue, but I still can't figure out which pronoun I should use in sentences like these:

He's older than I.
    or
    He's older than me.

She's just like me.
    or
    She's just like I.

In the first case I'd wager on: "He's older than I.", but then again most of the time people say "He's older than me." or "He's older than I am.". Hence my confusion.
    And in the second case the sentence "She's just like I." just doesn't sound right to me. At all. But since I'm not a native speaker I cannot really tell what sounds right and what wrong. So help, please.
    Last edited by antifon; February 04, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antifon View Post
    And now to my question So I've recently started to wonder about the usage of "I" and "me", "he" and "him", etc. I read the basic rule regarding this issue, but I still can't figure out which pronoun I should use in sentences like these:

He's older than I.
    or
    He's older than me.

She's just like me.
    or
    She's just like I.

In the first case I'd wager on: "He's older than I.", but then again most of the time people say "He's older than me." or "He's older than I am.". Hence my confusion.
    And in the second case the sentence "She's just like I." just doesn't sound right to me. At all. But since I'm not a native speaker I cannot really tell what sounds right and what wrong. So help, please.
    I don't have exact references at this point, but I have been taught (a long time ago, around 12-13 years, so the conventions may have changed) that "He's older than me." would be grammatically incorrect. "He is older than I am" is the more complete form, and the "am" is usually discarded, making "He is older than I" the more grammatically correct form.

New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast