Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The English Thread!! XD

Actually, there's a name for this. Conditionals.

There are 3 types of conditionals too.

The first type. present tense..., will....
    If it rains, I will be wet.
    If she goes to church, she will be saved.
    If they go to school today, I will be surprised.

This conditionals are refering to present situation or something that it true. It has not happen but it might happen.

Second type. past tense...., would .....
    If I were a bird, I would fly to heaven.
    If she were there, he would run away.
    If the dog barked, the thief would run away.

Remember, no matter which user it is, the verb behind that pronoun is still "were". It is talking about something fictional. If I were a millionaire.... means I am not a millionaire but what if I am.

Third type. past perfect....., would have been....
    If they had locked the door, the office would not have been broken in by the burglar.
    If she had run faster, we would have won the race.

This is past unreal situation. The things had happened and we are talking it from the past. Like the first sentence, the office had been broken in. Now they were mourning about it and discussed how "if they had locked the door..............by the burglar." In the second sentence, same thing. The team lose the race. Thus, they were blaming it on that girl, saying that "If she HAD run fast, we WOULD HAVE won the race."

I hope this helps.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed this thread

As you can see my grammar is a disaster ;___; ... what you can't see: this also goes for speaking and listening comprehension (my schooltime is over since 10 years and I'm just writing in international boards with a bunch of non-native speakers and also barley speak or hear it, so what do you expect? >.>).

But I would like to have an English language test certificate for my CV and references after my studys, so I started my training again a while ago and also I asked native speaker to correct me at msn (so, feel free to correct me anytime <.<).

What kind of language test would you recommend? TOEFL? TOEIC? ESOL? Another one?
    Which one is the best for international applications and studys?

Any good links to train my grammar?

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

eni!!!

I can help you out with English anytime on msn. Come to msn and look for me. XD I had a "great" time mastering grammar for 3 months, passing the test with a "A" at last, very much to my relief..... phew.....

As for international English proficiency test, I myself had taken TOEFL, so generally I would recommend TOEFL because it's not too difficult compare to IELTS and other tests. However, TOEFL test is based on iBT nowadays (Internet-based test) and it also includes a new section, speaking, which I flunked during my test. =/ Still, if you need anything, I'll be at your service. [br]Posted on: December 11, 2006, 09:03:20 PM_________________________________________________You might find this link useful too: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

eileen!! (you love this kao too, eh? )

Thank you so much for offering your help. I never cared about English during school time and a few years after school I started using the Internet and decided to study about multi- and crosscultures and suddenly needed to read and write English soooo much. It's a shame I can't do it better - but i will become better! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    I had a "great" time mastering grammar for 3 months, passing the test with a "A" at last, very much to my relief..... phew.....
    oh my ... three months? that's hell

As for international English proficiency test, I myself had taken TOEFL, so generally I would recommend TOEFL because it's not too difficult compare to IELTS and other tests. However, TOEFL test is based on iBT nowadays (Internet-based test) and it also includes a new section, speaking, which I flunked during my test. =/
    Yes, I had TOEFL in mind, but wasn't sure if it's the right thing when searching for a job. I don't want to study in a foreign country (maybe - just maybe - studying my master's degree there), but i don't need all this business conversation (TOEIC) either.
    ESOL offers different levels and also a certificate for teacher (maybe useful as a socialworker in a foreign country? ), so far this seems to be the best, i think ... hmhmhm ...

You might find this link useful too: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
    Oh, thank you. This page looks great.
    I like the quiz page. So much more helpful then just reading texts

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Rab & Eileen

I actually learned something new today. Hrph, I look forward to the day I master the English grammar without any effort.
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni
    eileen!! (you love this kao too, eh? )

Quote Quote:
    Thank you so much for offering your help. I never cared about English during school time and a few years after school I started using the Internet and decided to study about multi- and crosscultures and suddenly needed to read and write English soooo much. It's a shame I can't do it better - but i will become better! xD
    That's the spirit!!!!!!

Quote Quote:
    oh my ... three months? that's hell
    Ya, you got that right.

Quote Quote:
    Yes, I had TOEFL in mind, but wasn't sure if it's the right thing when searching for a job. I don't want to study in a foreign country (maybe - just maybe - studying my master's degree there), but i don't need all this business conversation (TOEIC) either.
    ESOL offers different levels and also a certificate for teacher (maybe useful as a socialworker in a foreign country? ), so far this seems to be the best, i think ... hmhmhm ...
    This will help you decide whether you want to take TOEFL or TOEIC. As for ESOL, by far, that's the toughest English proficiency test available. Also, if you were to take ESOL, which want are you going to take? The business one? http://www.cambridgeesol.org/students/index.htm They have different exams. o.O Aside from all these, try SAT! If you can score 800/800 for critical reading, your boss will kneel down and worship you.

Quote Quote:
    Oh, thank you. This page looks great.
    I like the quiz page. So much more helpful then just reading texts
    XD When I go online to look for study materials, I always look for quizzes. Reading pages and pages of informations on boring grammar will only further deteriorate your grammar mastery. XD Thus, quizzes FTW!!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Pevee's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can score 800/800 for critical reading, your boss will kneel down and worship you.
    Heck yes he will!
    Can anyone take the SAT? I thought it's only for middle/high school kids. Well, I think it's tougher than TOEFL, but then again, I'm a high school kid, what do I know. As far as I'm preparing for my SAT, the critical reading part is hell. The math part is pretty much middle school math, and the writing/grammar section only needs common sense and your familiarity of the language.
    ...the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pevee
    Heck yes he will!
    Can anyone take the SAT? I thought it's only for middle/high school kids. Well, I think it's tougher than TOEFL, but then again, I'm a high school kid, what do I know. As far as I'm preparing for my SAT, the critical reading part is hell. The math part is pretty much middle school math, and the writing/grammar section only needs common sense and your familiarity of the language.
    Anyone can take SAT. Anyone. It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher than TOEFL, that's one thing for sure. Math is a breeze, I hardly study anything and still get a decent score, but critical reading sure is hell. Writing is not too bad since I scored 11. Grammar, hmm...you just need to be familiar with language (which I'm not).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone can take SAT. Anyone. It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tougher than TOEFL, that's one thing for sure. Math is a breeze, I hardly study anything and still get a decent score, but critical reading sure is hell. Writing is not too bad since I scored 11. Grammar, hmm...you just need to be familiar with language (which I'm not).
    11????
    You can go to www.collegeboard.com and sign up for one of their services that will give you one SAT questions a day to help you practice because they will tell you the right answer and why it is correct and stuff. After a couple months, it really helps. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. It's really helpful, except for the fact that they don't have the passage reading questions. But it's good for working with your writing section.
    btw. I just got my PSAT score back (it's like a mini SAT) and I got perfect score on the math!!!! help me celebrate!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pevee
    11????
    You can go to www.collegeboard.com and sign up for one of their services that will give you one SAT questions a day to help you practice because they will tell you the right answer and why it is correct and stuff. After a couple months, it really helps. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. It's really helpful, except for the fact that they don't have the passage reading questions. But it's good for working with your writing section.
    btw. I just got my PSAT score back (it's like a mini SAT) and I got perfect score on the math!!!! help me celebrate!
    Full score on math. That's brilliant.
    Writing as in the essay part. XD 11/12

I remembered that collegeboard question of the day thing. XD I used to do one a day but never really improved. I resorted back to my collegebook blue book and princeton review. After 3 months, I improved 120 points on critical reading. Phew.....relief...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, i guess the math part isn't something to be so proud about.
    But 11/12? That's really good, I'd be glad if I got 9.... I suck at writing, I just can't think in that short amount of time. I would be like, "OMG! I spent 10 minutes writing the intro!!!". Yeah, that's me.
    Btw, which SAT prep book do you think is the best? I started buying random ones. I think I should maybe just get the good one.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The SAT is evil! That said, i got a 7 or 8 on my writing but a 760 on my reading? Go ahead and try to figure that one out (my theory is that they couldnt read my handwriting from the scan since even i couldnt). The funny thing about it is that you never use proper grammar in real life situations, I've had this discussion with a former teacher (taught spanish) and the fact is that proper english depends on where you live. In one part of the United States something said one way means something completely different in another section less than 100 miles away...

eni if you think 3 months is hell try 12+ years it never gets to be fun, gets more complex, and NEVER ends. If you need to know it for a test then by all means study it as hard as you can, but for other purposes dont work about how accurate your grammar is, so long as its passable (which your written grammar seems to be)!

To furhter this point, using the previous question as an example: if you said to me "If i was a millionare, i would build a big house" it sounds perfectly fine to me. Grammatically it seems to me that "was" is actually correct being that millionare is singular, and the same can be said for rain (though thats slightly more complicated).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

760 on Critical Reading, I venerate you...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, could have done better though

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea this thread existed before today :O

Well, I'll do my best to help out. I'm not the best at grammar ever, especially when it comes to the "h's" ( have, has, had, etc ) but otherwise I think I can help.

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast