Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: English Study Thread - Polish your forums communication skills!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The English Thread!! XD

well this thread seems pretty dead, so i figured i'd try this. let's see who can spot the mistakes in this blog i found online (they weren't intentional, but they should stick out at least for those studying for english proficiency tests).

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 "

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Pevee's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on (I don't know about this one. It's probably right though.) Mercury News, and it's (can't use it here because the IT would be President) an interesting read ,covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games (which games?) and the company. For example, did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz? Yes Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 smile"

I'm not a native speaker.
    ...the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pevee
    "Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on (I don't know about this one. It's probably right though.) Mercury News, and it's (can't use it here because the IT would be President) an interesting read ,covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games (which games?) and the company. For example, did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz? Yes Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 smile"

I'm not a native speaker.
    hehe u overuse commas, but so do i so i can't really say much about that . the "it's" actually can be used there because "it" refers to the interview. you did manage to pick up on most of the stuff that i saw though

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Pevee's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anbu_BD2021
    hehe u overuse commas, but so do i so i can't really say much about that . the "it's" actually can be used there because "it" refers to the interview. you did manage to pick up on most of the stuff that i saw though
    Yes, I have problems with commas. I just overuse them, all the time. You should have seen my research paper.
    The interview wasn't mentioned in the previous sentence. Yes, it makes logical sense that the "it" would be the interview, but since the previous sentence does not specifically contain the word "interview", I think "it" would rather refers to the president of the company instead.
    ...the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short....

MH's Peacemaker 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Leen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anbu_BD2021
    well this thread seems pretty dead, so i figured i'd try this. let's see who can spot the mistakes in this blog i found online (they weren't intentional, but they should stick out at least for those studying for english proficiency tests).

"Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3 "
    Hey, I'll give this a try with my limited knowledge. XD

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example, do you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk in Blizz? Yes,Blizzard really is that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding its next game title, "Please let one of them be D3 smile."

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read covering numerous Blizzard topics about the games and the company. For example did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk at Blizz. Yes Blizzard really are that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their next game titles. Please let one of them be D3
    Blizzard eh? Love their work...

Blizzard President Mike Morhaime has been interviewed over on Mercury News and it's an interesting read (Pevee is correct here, bad transition, should have said something like "the article was an interesting read") covering ("which covered") numerous Blizzard (redundant) topics about the (their) games and the company (and how they run their company, or their company). For example (a comma is needed here) did you know there are around 400 devs and 1,100 customer service folk (folk isn't a good word here, needed another term, like workers.) at Blizz (It's considered bad writing to suddenly shorten a name for no apparent reason.). Yes, Blizzard really (in writing, "really" as well as "very" aren't good words to use.) are (is) that huge. There's also a rather evasive response regarding their (its) next line-up of game titles. Please let one of them be D3

Post Thanks / Like

Hi~, dudes... i was taking a Survey, and it had this question:

[] Are you or were you once a fob?

Can anyone tell what in the hell does "Fob" mean? please *-*?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol only meaning for FOB that ive ever known is (language warning)
    Spoiler show
    but that cant possibly be what it means in this case lol

SilveryShadows

Fob-"Fresh Off the Boat" More explanations follow the link.
    from http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fob

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^^LOL haven't heard that more than once but its funny to see it on here. Yes, that's a great resource, urbandictionary. You can't exactly take everything you read on there for fact, but i've passed it along to a few non-english natives and they love it, one girl was able to stump her English teacher in the Czech Republic, a native speaker! Anyway with the last part of that paragraph:

"There's also a rather evasive response regarding *their* next line-up of game titles."

You could still use "their" here, referring to the company as a whole or even the people in the company who make the games. It's another instance of the passive voice, really either or is ok here, it's usually based on whatever you feel like saying at the time, at least in conversation. I would use "their" more times than "its".

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Avalonblitz's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anbu_BD2021 View Post
    lol only meaning for FOB that ive ever known is (language warning)
    Spoiler show
    but that cant possibly be what it means in this case lol
    LOL Sounds like waat someone from northern England would say.
    The funniest oneI've heard is 'pillock'.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark soul within's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we English have created some strange slang terms. Anyone know any Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Here's a few Ive heard before:

"Artful Dodger" - Lodger

"Barbed wired" - Tired

"Giraffe" - Laugh e.g. "You're having a giraffe"

"Macaroni" - Pony (slang for £25)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Meccamputechture's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dark soul within View Post
    Yes we English have created some strange slang terms. Anyone know any Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Here's a few Ive heard before:

"Artful Dodger" - Lodger

"Barbed wired" - Tired

"Giraffe" - Laugh e.g. "You're having a giraffe"

"Macaroni" - Pony (slang for £25)
    Those terms are dying very hard. In my twenty years of life I've heard very little of them.

---

FOB also stands for Fresh Off the Boat. Tis an insult and is directed at people who are foreign and make it obvious in the way they speak. I've never been an FOB.

dgraydivinity.net
    Descendente de Noah

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jiraiya-sama's Avatar
    Near Morpeth, a town in the north east of England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Thread

Who aside from Cockneys use that rhyming slang? i shall stick to geordie accent thanks much!
    Last edited by Jiraiya-sama; August 10, 2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: lack of question mark

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DemonDays's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Thread

Im from middlesbrough and i was wondering if anyone else from other parts of england use the terms 'mint' and 'devoed'?

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast