Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: I could care less :: Note to trans/scanlators

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ijen's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty I could care less :: Note to trans/scanlators

ie. I care.

I've been reading a lot of scanlated manga recently and I've noticed a common theme and a common error in translation. Actually it's just an miss-typed English turn of phrase but getting it wrong awkwardly changes the meaning, so please bare with my pedantic ways.

You know that bit were the arrogant bad guy underestimates the main character and shows his uber-cool careless attitude by stating his complete lack of interest in anything to do with the character who's about to get an against-all-odds victory? Yes? Yes, I know you do, we've probably read that scene a gazzilion times.

I don't know what it is in Japanese or Korean but I can tell you what it's not in English;

“I could care less”

The correct phrase is “I couldn't care less”. Could. Not. Caring and not caring. The difference between the uber cool bad guy status and My Little Pony.

To say “I could care less” is to say “my carelessness quota has not been exceeded – I still have some care left!”. This is not remotely cool. Nobody says that, unless what they actually mean is “I'm emotionally involved with you”. And we all know where that leads, depending on the rating.

Lots of love,
    Ijen

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PitylessEnvy's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I could care less :: Note to trans/scanlators

I've noticed that as well. And it's not just for scanlations, the phrase seems to have become accepted into our everyday language. It's similar to a lot of other phrases (i.e. It's cold as hell in here)
    http://theprojectscans.21.forumer.com/
    ^The Project Scanlations

New Reply