Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoruichi's Zanpakutou

Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner brunoq's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Yoruichi's Zanpakutou

I was reading again some bleach chapters tha I've got here in my computer, and after watching the last bleach movie (the one about two people mastering Hyourinmaru), I've got myself to wonder, How does the contract of a Shinigami and a Zanpakutou works?

We've seen in the series that a Zanpakutou is born from the shinigami Soul, see the immediate appearence of Zangetsu when Ichigo got his powers for the first time. And then when he fought Kenpachi, his travel to his Inner World and finding out the zangetsu leaves there, inside ichigo. We see Zangetsu saying that if ichigo looses to Kenpachi is better for him to have Asoichi, the nameless soul cutter ( http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/111/05/ ). And then we see him earning Zangetsu's power and beating Kenpachi.

Later on, I will show Tousen Kaname, former Captain of the 9th Division, we learned on a particular part of the manga, the tousen Zanpakutou wasn't born with him, but it belongs to another person, his dead friend was the previous owner of tousen Zanpakutou ( see http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/148/09/ ) . And for revenging her he took her zanpakutou off her grave and swore that he would bring justice to the world. So, now we see someone taking another person zanpakutou for himself, and later on achieving Bankai with it. So, that means tha Tousen got the Zanpakutou, made a contract with it and became it's new owner.

Now, on the movie, we see Hitsugaya making a contract with Hyourinmaru, and, at the same time, his friend makes too. So that means, two people took Hyorinmaru, it wasn't born with them, like Zangetsu. Later on the movie we see the chamber 46 saying that they already knew Hyourinmaru's power, and the knew it was strong, and that only one man should have it, by the law. So, my guess here is, Hyourinmaru was created in the soul of someone, and after this someone dies, it goes looking for new owners, and binding with them by contract, and goes on eternally.

Now, here goes my theory: Every one knows that Yoruichi was the 2nd division captain, and we know also that every captain (aside of kenpachi) has a Bankai. So we know, Yoruichi had a Zanpakutou. But, what happened to it? Reading again Yoruichi and Soi Fong fight, I got something interesting. Suzumebachi (Soi Fong Zanpakutou) was Yoruichi's Zanpakutou. And she left it behind when she went away with Urahara. To not say that I'm crazy, look at this page of the fight ( http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/158/03/ ) . Soi Fong clearly says "The ability that you were never able to master " . So, you see, Yoruichi left Soi Fong behind, she got mad, saw her zanpakutou there alone, took it, told that it was left behind and made a contract with it, mastering it, and achieving BanKai, and then Becomig the new Captain.
    That's my theory. It would explain Youruichi lack of zanpakutou, and kind of make it easier to understand.

So, what do you think about it? (sorry for being too long!)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yoruichi's Zanpakutou

Tosen took only the "shell" of his friend's Zanpakutou, and after that gained his own Zanpakutou in the empty sword he took. It's like Ichigo's Zanpakutou in the very beginning of the plot, when he doesn't even have the Zanpakutou's spirit inside the sword he received from Rukia's powers. It was just the bigger version of Sode no Shirayuki, without the spirit in side of it.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member WaveBossa's Avatar
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. I read the whole thing and I think you may be correct. But does that mean that before Soi Fon took her zanpakutou, did she have a nameless one?

And, does this mean that yoruichi will find a new one, or do you think that yoruchi will take it back

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This has actually been brought up a while back. Many of the old Bleach manga on OneMnaga have some mistranslated parts, and that line was one of them. (I leave finding the true translations based on the raw to yourself, but if you don't find them and no one posts them here, I will search for it.)

If I recall correctly, that line is supposed to just say something like an ability that Soi Fon had not mastered before Yoruichi left, simply stating that she has improved herself.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Raizen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the soifon line was that she had not perfected it when youruichi was here, not that youruichi didn't perfect it

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted TheChosenOne's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Tsuki and Raizen's right, the page brunoq is referering is a mis-translation. This is what was correctly stated.

Spoiler: Mistranslation show

Spoiler: Correct Translation show

11. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner brunoq's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Samui: I never saw anywhere that tousen only took the shell of his friend's zanpakutou. It's only you assuming, so a I see your opinion there but It's still unknown the origin of his zanpakutou, the only thing that we know is that it was from his friend. And there is no such thing as a Shell, every zanpakutou is different even on it's sealed form. See on the movie, that Ichigo and Rukia recognize Hyourinmaru on it's sealed form. So I'm assuming that every zankaputou is diferent even in it's sealed form. So, when ichigo got his powers from rukia, that was zangetsu, and it was just asleep waitting for it's owner to call, like every zanpakutou.

As for the rest, the mistranslation really got me there. But, anyway, how about tousen and Hyourinmaru examples? and what happened to Yoruichi's Zanpakutou, What do you think?

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brunoq View Post
    Samui: I never saw anywhere that tousen only took the shell of his friend's zanpakutou. It's only you assuming, so a I see your opinion there but It's still unknown the origin of his zanpakutou, the only thing that we know is that it was from his friend. And there is no such thing as a Shell, every zanpakutou is different even on it's sealed form. See on the movie, that Ichigo and Rukia recognize Hyourinmaru on it's sealed form. So I'm assuming that every zankaputou is diferent even in it's sealed form. So, when ichigo got his powers from rukia, that was zangetsu, and it was just asleep waitting for it's owner to call, like every zanpakutou.

As for the rest, the mistranslation really got me there. But, anyway, how about tousen and Hyourinmaru examples? and what happened to Yoruichi's Zanpakutou, What do you think?
    Well, there is another thread devoted to issue of Tousen's zanpakutou. So, discussion on it should go in that thread. There, you will find many of people's opinions on the matter.

The Hyourinmaru thing occurs in a movie, which is not considered to be a part of the Bleach canon. Unless it occurs in the manga, you really should not use it as any sort of evidence to something other than the events of that specific work, i.e., the movie's plot is only relevant to the movie and not Bleach as a whole. You should take this as a general rule for everything, including the movies, video games, and moments of the anime that differ from the manga. Furthermore, from most things I have seen, it seems that the next movie about to be released is the first one in which Kubo has been greatly involved in the writing of the plot.

Finally, the on-topic part about Yoruichi's zanpakutou: I don't think anything has happened to Yoruichi's zanpakutou. We simply have yet to see it, but that does not mean she does not have one. In a Bleach color book ("All Colors but the Black" is the name, I believe), Kubo drew all of the lieutenants with their zanpakutou. (By the way, for clarification, source material solely produced by Kubo like this color book or the databook should be taken as part of the canon, because Kubo himself created it in the universe of Bleach.) Even Nemu had a zanpakutou although she has yet to be spotted with one in the actual manga. The unreleased form of Yoruichi's zanpakutou may even be something small, resembling a tanto similar to Iba's unreleased zanpakutou, and thus fit in clothes.

Whatever the reason, I don't think that not seeing her zanpakutou should be taken as Yoruichi not having a zanpakutou.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i actually didnt read the whole thing but im not sure its possible to use another persons zanpakuto and i dont think yoruichi is ever shown with her zanpakuto anyway

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kikrox1 View Post
    i actually didnt read the whole thing but im not sure its possible to use another persons zanpakuto and i dont think yoruichi is ever shown with her zanpakuto anyway

I don't have the relevant chapter/page in front of me right now, but I believe a younger Yoruichi is shown with a zanpakuto on her hip in a flashback with Urahara - she was talking with Ichigo at the time, in that training space under the Soukyoku hill, discussing the similarities of that place with the space under Urahara Shoten.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nordicbattlesigns View Post
    I don't have the relevant chapter/page in front of me right now, but I believe a younger Yoruichi is shown with a zanpakuto on her hip in a flashback with Urahara - she was talking with Ichigo at the time, in that training space under the Soukyoku hill, discussing the similarities of that place with the space under Urahara Shoten.
    Here's the page you're talking about. It certanly looks like she has a zanpakutou on her hip

Spoiler: From Chapter 130 show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    Here's the page you're talking about. It certanly looks like she has a zanpakutou on her hip

Spoiler: From Chapter 130 show
    ty for finding it for me ._. and now that i have seen it i think soi fons zanpakuto sheath looks different so it cant be the same sword

Last edited by kikrox1; October 28, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member patz's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Yoruichi's zanpakuto???

is the bandage/robe around her hand? I guess that's why we never see her holding one around.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/178/01/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/178/02/

Look at her hand closely.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yoruichi's zanpakuto???

Quote Originally Posted by patz View Post
    is the bandage/robe around her hand? I guess that's why we never see her holding one around.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/178/01/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/178/02/

Look at her hand closely.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean sorry

Would you mind clarifying your idea? What does a bandage have to do with her Zanpakuto?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member patz's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought she disguised her Zanpakuto.

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast