Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
Thread Closed

Thread: Bleach influenced by WWII/Pearl Harbor?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach influenced by WWII/Pearl Harbor?

"Though the attack inflicted large-scale destruction, the damage was not significant in terms of American fuel storage, maintenance, and intelligence capabilities. Had Japan destroyed the American carriers, the Pacific Fleet's ability to conduct offensive operations would have been crippled for a year or so (given no diversions from the Atlantic Fleet). As it was, the elimination of the battleships left the U.S. Navy with no choice but rely on its aircraft carriers and submarines — the very weapons with which the U.S. Navy halted and eventually reversed the Japanese advance. A major flaw of Japanese strategic thinking was a belief the ultimate Pacific battle would be fought by battleships, in keeping with the doctrine of Captain Alfred Mahan. As a result, Yamamoto (and his successors) hoarded battleships for a "decisive battle" that never happened." (Wiki - Attack on Pearl Harbor)

I don't know why, but with Kubo's tendency to slip in historical, cultural and other hints into his work (someone on BA made a connection between Barragan and an old poem about a spanish king protecting his kingdom), Im feeling that maybe Yamamoto is based on the Japanese general behind the Pearl Harbor attacks. In bold, the plan seems similar to the manga counterpart's plans and expectations with the Winter War (which is pretty much now), perhaps this is the big twist to the arc. Yamamoto's misjudgment of Aizen and his forces, will lead to Aizen DEFINETLY having a totally unexpected ace up his sleeve.

I wish I could go more into this and extrapolate on details and potential plot twists but Im tired, and I know others on here can probably think of things better than me. Think about the above and see what you can make/predict of it. I definetly think this is relevant to the character and future plot.

EDIT - I hope someone on Bleach Asylum reads this, they usually have insightful information there.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach influenced by WWII/Pearl Harbor?

I don't really see much of a connection actually. The main connecting thing that I see in your theory is that Yamamoto has the same surname as the general from Pearl Harbor, but Yamamoto is not an uncommon family name in Japan.

Also, I wouldn't say that Kubo really has a tendency to slip in historical references as we haven't really seen much of any. The only good historical reference I can ever recall Kubo making in Bleach is the jazz reference he did during the vizard gaiden (although it would be historical inaccurate if the present of Bleach is set to our time).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That relationship is far to small to be even considered as Tsukisama already said it's not an uncommon name in Japan.

Next I'm pretty sure that Kubo has never made any relationship to history, sure a comparison can be made between Barragan and a Spanish Poem(link?) but I've made my fair share of comparisons and given a few minutes I could find a comparison for near anything.

Yamamato isn't really hoarding anything, I mean he's not hoarding captains since he split them so hoarding doesn't seem to be a very good use of the word.

Next just because Yamamato is underestimating Aizen doesn't mean anything. I could compare that to literaly countless other battles(Germany vs Russia WW2 comes to mind)
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; October 23, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I think would be relevant to point out is the information we gained from Kubo in his recent interview.

He clearly states that his inspiration for his characters comes from music primarily. Moreover, he even states that he does not really have any big plans for Yamamoto at the moment. If he were truly inspired by the historical General Yamamoto of whom you speak, Kubo would probably hint to make it seem that he has some greater purpose for Yamamoto, but all he says is that Yama-ji is a character who is designed to be mysterious like Shunsui and Unohana (yet another hint towards Unohana's hidden power ).

Thread Closed