Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hoshino's Art Style

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner jocewin_vdl's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoshino's Art Style

i like those styles both but i like the old style better

No matter what happens, I'll keep on moving
    And until this life runs out of me, I'll keep on walking
    -Allen Walker

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member candy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jocewin_vdl View Post
    i like those styles both but i like the old style better
    KINGDOM HEARTS!!!I love that game! back on topic:i prefer the old style. i don't know maybe i just have to get used to this art. my favorite art was from the ark arc.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 13Tsubasa View Post
    I love her latest art style.
    However I do agree with earthforge on this:

This is the part that annoys me as well. For me it's like the chapter has ended so quickly, most parts take so many spaces that the story barely progress and that makes the one month wait unbearable, if it was weekly I would have been fine with it.
    Agreed. She keeps drawing two page spreads or one page=one panel. It's becoming a little like Bleach in that respect. But yes, like you said, it would be okay for a weekly (though Bleach can be a bit unbearable though it's a weekly and like that too) but for a monthly, it makes the story move at a snail's pace. Not to mention that we only get 30~31 pages per month. Standard weekly series get around 17~18 pages a week, so that's about 70 pages a month, twice the amount we get in 1 chapter of D.Gray-Man D: For a more fair comparison, contrasting with another monthly series, Soul Eater, that gets about 40 pages a chapter :/ But then again, Claymore in the same magazine as DGM also gets about 31+ pages.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tick's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    But then again, Claymore in the same magazine as DGM also gets about 31+ pages.
    That's the normal average for Jump SQ and for most monthly magazines. Soul Eater also have around 35 pages per month, it just get's more than this because, after the anime became a success and FullMetal ended, it became the main series of Shonen Gangan.
    SE also has a very slow story if you read it every month. It's normal, we're just not accustomed with it, because the series was weekly before. Tenjo Tenge is an example of a very slow developted monthly manga. D.Gray-man i'ts just normal, the same thing as always.

The Advent of Despair...
    Black Carnival

http://gustavosnovaes.deviantart.com/

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ying_su's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess 31 is the normal quantity for a "supreme quality manga magazine"...
    (See the white text on the big blue Q here: http://ih.fotothing.com/44098.jpg )

TIMCANPY FOR THE WIN!!!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DGM Hang Out Thread

I don't really get why everyone is so upset with Hoshino's art style! I really don't... =(

I mean- I'm not that great at drawing and so when I see a mangaka's work I'm alwways impressed. I can't recall how many times I wished I could draw like them... And so if I see someone saying: "This magaka's art is crappy." I can't help but be somewhat angry. Those are moments where I practically would ask that person to show me what he can do with a G-Pen.
    Those people put a lot of effort and time in those projects and anybody who has already tried to draw a doujinshi knows what I'm talking about.
    In my opinion only people with art skills nearly equal to a normal mangaka should be allowed to take such judgement.

For my part I must say that, yes, at first the art was a bit hard to get used to but I have the feeling that with time it will get gorgeous. I love the way she draws the facial expressions. They do look natural to me and to be honest I prefer them to the way she drew them in the "Ark Arc".

For comparison:
    http://www.mangareader.net/210-15202...apter-111.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/210-47809...apter-192.html

Just wait and see. It will get better. I just hope she doesn't overdo it in her condition. Hoshino-sensei should also care about herself a little.

Moderator message by: riki
    Moving to the appropriate thread. ^^
    Last edited by riki; October 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

7. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dlanor_A.Knox's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I'm beginning to fall in love with her new style...
    At the last chapter and Alma's soul... I was like; WOOOOW 0o0 It's so good!

Whatever Hoshino draws, it stays unique and thats something a lot of people faill at ^^
    They have slaughtered millions of Teemos... Pentakill is coming!!!

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Defade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DGM Hang Out Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SerenePhenix View Post
    I love the way she draws the facial expressions. They do look natural to me and to be honest I prefer them to the way she drew them in the "Ark Arc".

For comparison:
    http://www.mangareader.net/210-15202...apter-111.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/210-47809...apter-192.html
    I'm of a completely different opinion. I felt like her art in the Ark arc was the a peak of her career. The style, the shading, the lines...everything was perfect(especially around the time Tyki fought Allen). Of course, her art in the beginning of the 190s was nice as well, but in the recent chapters(196 & 197) the faces have gone downhill...most of the time I can barely tell characters apart anymore.

It seems to be recovering in the last two chapters since some panels are drawn beautifully(Alma's soul), so I'm still hopeful.
    Last edited by Defade; November 03, 2010 at 05:37 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

The art in the ark arc was nice, but it looked flat. Like paper. There was no real depth to it, even if it looked pretty.

The art was at its best in Volumes 18 and 19. After DGM came back it started to deteriorate a bit, but it's getting better now. These last three chapters were a vast improvement over 194-197, which were drawn pretty pitifully.

11. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    The art in the ark arc was nice, but it looked flat. Like paper. There was no real depth to it, even if it looked pretty.

The art was at its best in Volumes 18 and 19. After DGM came back it started to deteriorate a bit, but it's getting better now. These last three chapters were a vast improvement over 194-197, which were drawn pretty pitifully.

In a way I agree with you. The art was still very good and better than the one of other mangakas but as you said it was flat and also if I hadn't known who draws DGM and someone had shown me that art I wouldn't have recognized it as Hoshino's.
    I'm sorry to use that word but in a way it looked somewhat "mainstream". That has by far not to be something bad but with her art now I have the feeling that I'd recognize it anywhere just like with a signature or a fingerprint.

The art of the Ark arc may have been detailed and very good. But in the last three chapters it has been superbe and moved me more to tears than in the other arc.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nyxem's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont rly see any changes

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mitokomon's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha not seeing any changes would be so convenient for me ^^, her new drawing style bothers me a lot. It feels as if I'm reading a complete different manga so I can't agree with the ones who say they prefer the new drawing style. In the old way I believe the drawing and the story completed each other, the drawings made the concept alive and also helped the series to differ from other ones by making them look 'new' both in story and in style. So basically I completely agree with the things Defade said.
    As to the fact emotions being displayed better, I think it would still be possible with the old style, cuz a mangaka captures that naturally as the story evolves and the series continue. My hope it is that she reverts to her old style, which suited the d.gray man more or something else than this one would also be better.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't really revert to your old style. A mangaka's art style evolves naturally. And DGM was Hoshino's first serialized title (she's only 30 years old), so it's completely natural that her art is significantly different from what it was in 2004.

I hope she stops experimenting with her art soon though (Lenalee's hair, Allen's scar, her new habit of using bright, cheerful colors, etc.). I can see DGM lasting for ~40 volumes, and it makes me paranoid knowing that the art could change at any time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MSofAofCOCA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

personally, i don't have too many problems with the new art style(s). I don't know how correct the series Bakuman is but according to it, Shonen manga in Jump sells better if it is more 'violent'/'boyish' style, which DGM was in the begining. It's true though, the abrupt change between chap. 186-187 and onward, is dramatic. Maybe she used the hiatus time to study up on anatomy and improve. Maybe the switch to SQ brought out her true style, since she now has more time to draw roughly the same amount of pages as she did way back when for weekly jump.

Her new style is a bit more girlish but also realistic. It's true that some characters can get confusing like Bak and Allen and Lenalee + young!Link + young!Kanda but hey, kids do tend to be cuter. Looking back on the first few chapters of DGM, her anatomy improved greatly from oversized hands and feet to more detail.
    The only thing that still bothers me, is that some times the characters look like jelly: but it think that's her just getting used to it.

I absolutely love her ability to use water color - the bright colors contrast greately with depth of the series, and the compositions are just awesome!

I think the reason i don't mind hoshino's different art styles is probably because in all the different versions, there's still something about the way the characters are drawn that can only be done by the creator. which is why i don't think there's another artist. Also, I got the first 9 novels for New Years and after reading them, I realized that there was no radical change in styles - it looked as if the art style got 'cleaned up' rather than change.

from this, i don't really understand why people have so many issues with her new style...

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have anything against the new style, in fact I like it. The only thing I dislike, or should I say hate, is the way Allen looks. He looks way too much like Alma, who has probably one of the ugliest designs. Allen's haircut is just wrong (those sideburns... ugh), his old one was better. Plus he seems to have really dark eyebrows now. I wouldn't mind it so much, except for the fact that he no longer looks like the same character anymore.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast