Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hoshino's Art Style

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clamche's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoshino's Art Style

I agree with CrudeCross - Allen's hairstyle is like Alma's. His old hairstyle was better. And the faces Allen makes during the battles seem to me a bit unreal, with the mouth in such shape.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I preferred Allen's design in the earlier volumes of D. Gray-Man. There are instances in which he does look too similar to Alma, making some of the previous chapters confusing as hell when trying to figure out who is attacking who. I don't think Hoshino's current style is bad, I just preferred the old style better. Much better compared to this new one.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The good thing about Hoshino's art styles is that no matter how different they are from each other in terms of quality, etc..., they still come out looking better than the a lot of the art from other manga series !

5. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Yuzuki-An's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there! I'm new here ;> Well, I was following forum topics for a while now but my English was (and still is) so bad, horrible and just dead so I couldn't write anything at all. It's hard but I'll try me best, so forgive me my horrible grammar and everything x]
    And about a topic.. for me Hoshino's best art style was at the time when Allen lost his arm and till Lenalee's fight with Eishi. I believe this art style was from volume 5 to volume 7. For me it was like the best art style in the whole manga world ;O then the one from Ark arc is my 2nd fav. The current one isn't bad, well, it is good but I miss the old one sooo much. The style from the very beginning was cool too, cute yet sometimes creepy, so different. I will love Hoshino-sensei whatever she will ever draw.. Um.. and I don't like Allen's hair style now ;x It's so not Allen.. just.. just no! ;o

Um, so nice to meet you^^'

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner andrea1chan's Avatar
    Country
    Iceland
    Post Thanks / Like

i prefer the ark arc style it was (in my words) ozom

but the style in the Alma/kanda arc was a little confusing and i'm kinda ok with it now but Hoshino is(mabey) experamenting with her style now and the noses are starting to look a little more like her old style(in chapter 202)

but the Ark arc style will alweys be her best style

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Niko_kun's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrea1chan View Post
    i prefer the ark arc style it was (in my words) ozom

but the style in the Alma/kanda arc was a little confusing and i'm kinda ok with it now but Hoshino is(mabey) experamenting with her style now and the noses are starting to look a little more like her old style(in chapter 202)

but the Ark arc style will alweys be her best style
    I agree with you ^^ But in the volumes 16,17 the style was so amazing! It was so detailed.. i miss her old style ://
    visit my brazilian D.Gray-man fan site. - www.dgraybr.blogspot.com

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dlanor_A.Knox's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I still like Hoshino's art style, but the thing that bugs me is that the drawing she made at the nico-nico thingy (in the hang out thread) is kinda like her old style...
    Sooo wazzup with that??
    They have slaughtered millions of Teemos... Pentakill is coming!!!

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that it's just the difference between having an entire month to work on a chapter in the comfort of your own studio and having to whip something up on the spot.

I don't know about you, but drawing while other people breathe down your neck gives me a lot of pressure. And I find that drawing against a wall or whiteboard is really awkward and more difficult that an isle or desk.

She's probably more comfortable with her old style and just reverted to it under the circumstances. Something like that?

Just my thoughts.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

So, i loved the thick lines from chapter 206. But i am a thick line lover. ^_^

I've been reading more good comments than bad from people about the art.
    I guess this chapter was faster to decode, but still beautiful.
    There are people saying that she changed again. I don't think so.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I like thick lines too. FMA had thick lines and they looked great. I couldn't imagine FMA with thin lines like early DGM or Death Note/Bakuman.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the art style of this chapter. And the beautiful scenes that she mad *like the house with snow, was really nice.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Maybe's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don´t know, why people keep on complaining every new chapter, that they don´t like the "new" art style or Hoshino´s art in general. (Btw. this "new" art style has been Hoshino´s style at least since Vol. 20, so it isn´t that new.)
    I personally love her art style, old or new (it still looks better than so many other art styles). I even like the recent art style most, her knowledge of anatomy has so much improved since the move to Jump SQ and her inking has improved too.
    I also liked the "thick" (I don´t think they´re that thick) lines of chapter 206. They were very dynamic and made it another great chapter. (Only thing I didn´t like was Allen´s face about page 2-3, it looked a bit strange, but she´s ill and so I think it´s awesome that she still keeps drawing)
    About Allen´s hair and design I have to say, that I like it much more as it is now. He looks more mature and not any more like a lil´ kid.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Allen looks like a young man rather than a child now. He has still been able to retain his pretty-boy image though, despite his maturing design. Hoshino gives us the best from every angle. I love D.Gray-Man's art!!

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

What i like too in Hoshino's art is that she cares about the time, like the lenalee hair. It's growin up, isnt stopped at when she lost it. She wanna show us how the characters can grow up and this makes me really happy. I don't like a story that the main character appear 16 years old and die (or the story ends) with 16. Its boring -__-

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, Niko-kun. She really does pay special attention to time. That's one of the many motifs that have been a part of the series since the very beginning, so I'm glad she takes it seriously.

New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast