Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoshino's Art Style

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Ayah's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: changing art

Shoujo-like? I thought the new style is more shounen compared to the old.

<3 glasskatana for the sig
    Tayo na sa Sineskwela Pinoy Hangout Thread v.16!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    British Indian Ocean Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: changing art

@Ayah: I agree.

Anyway is it me or it looks like in chap. 91 they changed the art again??
    [img width=126 height=170]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1333/earlsigla7.png[/img]<br />[size=12pt]CLICK THIS!! QUICK!![/size]<br />I colored the manga I didn&#039;t steal it!<br />http://oathkeeper.jconserv.net/index.php &lt;-- KH fans click here please^^

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mariahechidna's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Chapter 187 Artwork

Is it just me or does it look like this newest chapter, 187, was drawn by someone else. It looks similar to how d.gray-man use to look but looking at the characters it felt like someone else is drawing it. Road looks too developed, Jesdavi look actually masculine, I couldn't tell Miki Tiki from his "brother" and Allen's face is now more rounder. I see so much difference in the characters now I just have to wonder. Even in the color pages it doesn't look like Hoshino's skill.... It's missing her subtle touches I'm use to. Not to say this new look is bad, its just not what I'm use to.

Could someone else be drawing this? Did her style change that drastically over the course of what, 4 months?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chapter 187 Artwork

Nah its still Hoshino you shouldnt look at the general design artists always got the habit of perfecting it, if you take Road rewind and Road ark1 and road ark2 and finaly Road london. Notice the eyes they change drasticaly every time and yet its still the same artist. . The position changed the reference with the mouth and even the hight of the head changed.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mariahechidna's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

True, and I understand an artist perfects their art and I know it takes pretty much 4 books or about 25 to 35 chapters before their art stabilizes (and about 20-25 books to change again), but something about this new chapter, it looks so different, and its small things but so many I just had to ask.

Even in books I can see how they progress but if you look at the last two chapters and hold them side by side it looks like different artists--but I tend to look far too in at artists works to learn their styles and niches and this chapter threw me for a loop

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siberia's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends, I love Hoshino's artwork no matter how it was/is.
    MyList of reading n watching

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member TitaniumChloride's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite the changes, it is still definitely Hoshino's art. You can compare it to a recent image she's done as an autrograph for the JyanBANG! show:

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    Spoiler: Screenshots show

My Manga List (outdated)

Shows: Supernatural, Legend of Korra
    Webcomics: Homestuck, Paranatural, Gunnerkrigg Court
    Tumblr: onewayworld

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget as well there has been a lot of time between both chapter 186 and 187 Also in order to come up with the new noah uniforms and all she must have done dozens of different angles on paper (full size road! full size tyki!! full size kanda!!! full size allen!!!!) anyways the studio must be littered with drawings. Its not like she draws a chapter out of thin air, she can look over the main designs and then draw them into the story.
    Always when there is a dressroom change you get some things different. Its not a crime and it doesnt change but adds to the fact that Hoshino takes her work seriously and that shes an awesome artist!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member andrewsungchehau's Avatar
    Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

It couldn't be other people's work aside from Hoshino sensei herself. Sure they are changes in places but I think its more awesome and suitable for the dark atmosphere in the manga. I'm hoping it can change a bit more into the darker atmosphere which will make it more awesome and cooler, as well as beautiful artwork IMO.

Definitely love her artwork.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tick's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Its Hoshino, but her stile its changing a little again (its normal, her stile always changes). Shes using less grey on the drawings and more of a "black and white effect", using more shadows (and I think thats awesome ^^). IMO thats the best artstile she ever had.

The Advent of Despair...
    Black Carnival

http://gustavosnovaes.deviantart.com/

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Her drawings are always great and catching, people might not like all the new noah outfits but i find Roads Wisely's and Tykki's pretty good and they are the main noahs, also Lullu havnt seen hers yet ^^.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ketorin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yes the art work has changed but it also did when there was the previous break. And about the Road thing she might be doing that on purpose since that really isn't Road's true form, Road van most likely manipulate it however which was she wants

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tick's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    About Road, I think she's better now (before, she looked like a Boy) and now it's really better (IMO).
    Her art its aiways changing...

The Advent of Despair...
    Black Carnival

http://gustavosnovaes.deviantart.com/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sydney's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The artwork seems more detailed because she had more time to concentrate on the artwork. I absolutely love the detail...it is much better than when she turns in nothing but sketched work. Hopefully having the manga monthly will give Hoshino more time to concentrate on the artwork.

The style we have now started to show when the manga came back on the last hiatus around March, so this isn't too new. I love this style better than the angular look we've been getting from chapters 138-179 or so. But the angular style isn't bad either.

I've looked a little through the earlier chapters and Zone, and her style has changed so much since those times. I like her style in the earlier chapters too. Actually I like all of her artwork. ^^;

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Her work is always good but due to the timetable she prolly didnt have time to do it how she wanted.
    The last chapter the 50p just got that amount of care she prolly wanted in it and it looks great, not everyone would agree with the new costumes of the noah but they are nicely done.
    Try to make a all white outfit work on a figure and youll see its dmn hard

New Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast