Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoshino's Art Style

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member p1xel's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoshino's Art Style

It`s an unique art,I <3 it.Deep black,like really serious seinen:P
    Probably it`s my fav style of art from all mangas.

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've loved Hoshino's artwork all the way through--Especially when it's colored.
    She'd have to do something pretty insane and drastic for me to ever stop loving it <3

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm finally getting a little used to
    at least the 14th is super hot ( someone said the lovechild of tiki and allen- that made all happy inside just thinking about it)
    well many different Allens may be good for me, I very indecisive, so I can switch with my mood

the new rougher looking Allen for when I'm ready to brave reality
    bishounen Allen for the times I need a bishie to look at
    cute Allen from the beginning when I want to think of kiddy times

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member harmaa's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see much of Hoshino's touch in the art any more at all. I'm wondering if it's going to be heavily touched up for the volume releases...

I'll probably lose all interest in this series if the art stays like this. Sad, as it's my favorite one.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member relory's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harmaa View Post
    I really don't see much of Hoshino's touch in the art any more at all. I'm wondering if it's going to be heavily touched up for the volume releases...

I'll probably lose all interest in this series if the art stays like this. Sad, as it's my favorite one.
    Really? I thought especially chapter 198 was remarkable as it resembled her earlier gothic style o.O And I think her lineart and anatomy has NEVER been better as an artist myself I am simply amazed by her talent

It makes me sad that the art style itself is enough for you to lose interest in this series (especially since Hoshino's art always changes, ever since the beginning) *reads primarly because of the story/plot and then for the art* to me the pretty art is like an extra gift to an awesome story. But oh well, I guess Hoshino cannot please everyone... I'm DEFINITLY pleased with this manga though
    Last edited by relory; September 06, 2010 at 04:16 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ying_su's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm agree with you, relory. The art this chapter was too awesome that made me think Hoshino-sensei was compensating the last chapter sketched pages (although i'm convinced those pages were due to her deserved weeks of holidays, or so i hope --nothing to do with her health--).

Her art is great considering she learnd a lot of anatomy and improved a lot the characters figures and musculature: this is very important as an artist level.
    Also, her drawing style won dynamics: hair, face expressions, clothes and movements. This is very important to catch the readers attention (a great example of this are Obata's works).
    Then is the conceptual style: based on Gothics and Clowns: it's still there, never changed: just evolved with more details.
    Finally, the characters aethetics: When a series like this is written upon the years the series can easily go out of fashion which is definitely not good for catching new readers. (Ichigo from Bleach has suffered from this recently: a change in his hair style).
    Appart from all this is something i always say: Hoshino-sensei as an artist can get bored of drawing exactly the same way forever. But she's still Hoshino-sensei. Most of times, changes will bring us a better DGM.

Did you noticed i'm a DGM fanatic??

TIMCANPY FOR THE WIN!!!

7. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member tk_rout's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103. I was reading LQ/ speed scans of these chapters (90-100ish). didn't like the art. Later I came across whatever's HQ scans ; now reading from them. From those scans , art looks good.
    btw when the art style changed ?- like few previous posters mentioned. On side note, mostly female posters are posting here, is it more popular among females ?
    Last edited by tk_rout; September 06, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tk_rout View Post
    D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103. I was reading LQ/ speed scans of these chapters (90-100ish). didn't like the art. Later I came across whatever's HQ scans ; now reading from them. From those scans , art looks good.
    btw when the art style changed ?- like few previous posters mentioned. On side note, mostly female posters are posting here, is it more popular among females ?
    The art style changes every couple of volumes. Hoshino likes to experiment and she gets bored easily.

D.Gray-man is generally liked by girls because of the attractive males, but a lot of females like shonen in general. I'm a female, and I grew up with shonen, so that's just what I read.

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member relory's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno if it's more popular with females (most of my fellow DGM fans where I live are guys ), but I guess there are more active females on forums and such, than guys. There are a lot of guys here too though

If you're familar with the Kingdom Hearts- and Reborn!- fandom, D.Gray-man has a similar fandom, yaoi-pairings are extremely popular as there are many 'bishounen' here :P And well, yaoi-fangirls(and some fanboys) make themselves heard in every fandom xD

øhrm.. I have also heard that the appearant lack of good action scenes in earlier manga chapters, confusing plot and a main character with a very girly voice might scare some guys away when they start reading? 8'D (quoting my brother here lol he's obsessed with DGM too though xD)

12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to paint and draw in my free time! c:

And although I don't draw anime ever really, I do have a very high appreciation for it. Out of all the manga I've ever seen or read, DGM is by far my favorite. Hoshino has a style all her own while still preserving a somewhat realistic aspect to her work. Like some have said, she has an aptness for detail and muscular anatomy. Sometimes I look at the details in the character designs as well as the backgrounds, and am in awe! Backgrounds are a pain for me, but Hoshino doesn't let up on hers at all.

She finds a wonderful balance between horror and aesthetics.

And about what ying_su mentioned concerning evolving style. She's very right. Hoshino manages to keep her art modern and experimental. I don't think it has failed her yet and I have strong hopes for her future work. I love the artwork she's doing now, but would be severely disappointed if it remained the same for the rest of the series, wouldn't you? I don't expect the style now to be the same in a year of even 6 months.

Rock on, Hoshino!

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the D.Gray-Man fans I know in real life are girls. In fact, out of all of them, there's only 1 guy and that's my brother, who only continued read D.Gray-Man past the slightly slow start to where it became really interesting because I bugged him to do so XD

Quote Quote:
    Also, her drawing style won dynamics: hair, face expressions, clothes and movements. This is very important to catch the readers attention (a great example of this are Obata's works).
    ITA. Hoshino-sensei has a very good sense for the dynamics that really make the manga come alive. My only gripe here would be that sometimes she goes a little overboard and there's way too much going on in a single panel, especially in action scenes XD; And yes, Obata-sensei is awesome too

Quote Quote:
    D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103.
    IMO, that was when her art style appealed to me most. I particularly liked the way she drew the characters' faces then.

I like Hoshino-sensei's art, I really do. Honestly even when I gripe about the changes, it's still a lot better than some other mangaka *cough*Kaitani-sensei I'm looking at you*cough*

Well I hope she keeps experimenting and improving! The plot is picking up the pace too, so D.Gray-Man can only get even better

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clamche's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Hoshino's new style. The characters look more mature, they have grown up a little.
    But still I miss her old style - I am nostalgic I think.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The new art style is great. If there was a new manga with the same kind of art, I'd probably read it for the art alone. The thing is that its just not as great as it used to be. The art in D.Gray-Man has gone through a lot of changes. I remember that at one point it even resembled Bleach with the long faces/chins and thin lips. I think the art was at its best during the Ark arc. I bought volume 12 recently and stared continuously at the art. It was just that great!

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm rather annoyed with the art. It would be fine if it was a little bit more compact and detailed. The handy thing with rough art is it's much more complementary with horror - in clean art, it's too easy to get desensitized. I've already had this happen - all of the Thirds scenes didn't bother me. The one time this manga has recently touched me was the rough style in drawing charring people like Alma in chapter 192. I have been okay with everything to chapter 193. Now it's all dull.

Also, the art indicates how much plot can progress in a scene given the panel sizing. The panels as of late have been so big and grandiose, barely any plot can be written. I can understand this for big plot-changing events, but not every single page.

I miss the old style. I miss the old pacing. And I miss the old fans who have been jumping ship because of the hiatus and now these chapters.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 13Tsubasa's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I love her latest art style.
    However I do agree with earthforge on this:
    Quote Quote:
    Also, the art indicates how much plot can progress in a scene given the panel sizing. The panels as of late have been so big and grandiose, barely any plot can be written. I can understand this for big plot-changing events, but not every single page.
    This is the part that annoys me as well. For me it's like the chapter has ended so quickly, most parts take so many spaces that the story barely progress and that makes the one month wait unbearable, if it was weekly I would have been fine with it.
    Last edited by 13Tsubasa; September 13, 2010 at 05:50 PM.

New Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast