Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Hoshino's Art Style

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hoshino's Art Style

I find that even though DGM is primarily an adventure type series the action scenes in the manga are very well done. I just love Hoshino's knowledge of anatomy and attention to detail. I also find how she draws the crushes and creases in the characters' clothing to be very interresting and useful in giving us a better idea of how the characters are moving.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys.. havent read D-gray in a long time.. But would you guys kindly tell me some good manga illustrations where Allen looks cool? I'm making a sort of collage so I'd appreciate it

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else find that the art has become a little bit shojo (if only slightly). The lines, the expressions, the page layouts, etc... everything seems more in style with something you'd find in a shojo manga. While not necessarily a bad thing, I was always more of a fan of the shonen-esque style during the Ark arc. I've said something along these lines before, but even at its worst D.Gray-man's art rocks!

(The only I really dislike is Allen's current haircut. Them sideburns don't suit you Allen!)

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bloomerwedgies's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think so too. I agree it's especially noticeable if you compare the current art to the really sharp, high-contrast-black-and-white, angular style of the Ark arc. Things are a lot more fluid and flowy now, and she's giving everyone much pointier features and those really huge, dark eyes. I think it's the change in the eyes that I am finding really striking--they seem flatter and less expressive, almost dull. Considering that the characters are exhausted and depressed, perhaps it's appropriate! Fortunately, we are not into "Rose of Versaille" tarantulashes territory yet. Let's hope the shojo curve doesn't continue that far! *laugh*
    I must say, though, I am enjoying the return to her gothy, gloomy-Victorian roots that's been happening lately. The "London After Midnight", gaslight horror took a back burner after the Timothy arc and I really missed it!

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading your post reminded me of the way Allen's eyelashes have been looking recently. It seems like a current trend now to have white haired characters have white eyelashes. Personally I dislike it, it's very distracting.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Reading your post reminded me of the way Allen's eyelashes have been looking recently. It seems like a current trend now to have white haired characters have white eyelashes. Personally I dislike it, it's very distracting.
    That trend is pretty old actually. Even Hoshino used it before.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally like it a lot! I think she is one of the most best mangakas. I admire her for how she draws all the details so perfectly. Who cares if Allen has become somewhat girlish.... I think the way she draws him is just adorable and I cant wait to see how he looked like in the past!

"One shot is for all you did to everyone here... And all the rest are because you messed up my clothing." ~ Cross Marian to Level 4

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

JUST READ CHAPTER 216, ART= AWESOME

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AlphaIkaros's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Hoshino's artstyles during the Noah's Ark Arc and Level 4 Arc. It felt like their movements were really swift. I didn't like her style during the Alma Karma arc, it's kind of messy and I had a hard time distinguishing who is who... as well as when Allen left the Black Order, its somewhat "shoujo-ish" and it seemed like it didn't fit for a shounen manga. Recently, her art style had changed, again. I think it's a lot better now and you can clearly see the smoothness of lines in her drawings, specially the hair and the creases in their clothes.

Anyhow, I still missed the "dark" theme/aura she does in her drawings. You can see what I actually meant by reading the old/first chapters and the recent ones

+-----+-----+-----+-----+|Magi Section|Tumblr|+-----+-----+-----+-----+

New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6