Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Some basic questions about scanning magazines

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Some basic questions about scanning magazines

Good day, afternoon, evening, night, or in whatever time you're viewing this.

I thought about this step for quite some time and it's more of a mixture out of boredom and a speck of ambition and goodwill that I finally want to give it a try, so here it comes:

I noticed a lack of some scanlations constantly asked for around "the scene".

For once there's Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro. Possibly only known to most through the tankōbon volume scanlations done by Anon. So even though this one gets serialized in WSJ there are still no ongoing scans, which is kinda stunning, I guess.

Then there's another piece constantly asked for, and yet there's rarely a source for it: Vinland Saga serialized in Monthly Afternoon.

So I get both magazines on a regular basis (i.e. within 2 days of the release in Japan) so naturally I wondered just why there aren't any scans yet. So I maybe want to give it a shot, for the greater good. (rite)

So right now I'm thinking about scanning and cleaning. Although I'm not sure how fast I can get into the cleaning part to do an acceptable job. The easiest thing might be the Afternoon magazine, since it comes in a pretty good quality already.

So here's the first question:

How would you scan magazines? Since the volumes are pretty big, obviously, bending isn't really an option. So I guess cutting, or dissolving the glue (any tips on that?).

Second question:

Since Jump has an overall shitty quality most of the time. (And the Neuro chapters normally getting released way back into the magazine not getting the nice whiteish toned pages either) Is there any good guide about cleaning the mess that are Jump pages? Especially the pinkish or greenish ones with major deficiencies in the original print already - if you read Jump you know what I'm talking about.

Ultimately, I might just try to do the whole job myself (from scanning to translating), but I guess I have to give it a try step by step first.

Also, obviously since I got both magazines I could also (try) to do other stuff out of those magazines, if need be. (but let's not overdo it right away, although I might do already)

Thanks in advance for your hopefully helpful suggestions!

Kind regards

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 1211's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some basic questions about scanning magazines

Use your ironer for dissolving the glue, and scan the pages on about 600dpi or higher, for nice resolution scans

Check out the tutorial section for more information on BOTH subjects
    Join nerieru-scans if you want to help on Kenichi!!

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chiresakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good safe method for debinding that only uses a hairdryer: much less chance of burning, leaking, or setting on fire

http://senbonzakura.kageyoshi.net/20...binding-books/

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing to use is hairdryer, actually . . . that's what I usually do . . .

But sometimes, I don't know about WSJ, but if the glue isn't that bad, you should be able to pull off the page even without heating up the glue. I mean . . . Rival is really bad sometimes with this (since my copy is falling off already even when I just widely open the page . . . and Rival is twice thicker than WSJ . . . >.>")

Scan at least at 300dpi. No less than that for a good scan. >_<"

And . . . for cleaning, you got to go read the guide, but you have to scan stuff using grayscale as well . . . that should at least take care of the color thing a bit . . . but I'm not a cleaner, so it's always better for you to go read the tutorial for cleaning . . . >.>"

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner anpan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're impatient like me, just use an iron or microwave. You shouldn't have any problems with the book catching on fire unless you leave the iron on the book or microwave it for like 5 minutes. After that the pages just come out easy. I'd recommend 300 dpi because its faster to scan/upload. You don't really need quality any higher than that unless it's crazy detailed like Hellsing or something... As for jump it's pretty much uniformly shitty, the quality isn't any better in the front or back. Sometimes you can be lucky and get one with good ink but that happens about as often as winning the lottery.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner fujitofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time I scan those I'm in a hurry, so I actually just rip off the pages directly :P.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner jojodacrow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I figure the OP already has figured this out but for others:

Actually for magazines I just break the spine and cut the page out. You can get right next to the spine and just cut it out with out destroying the rest of the book.

I do this and never have trouble losing any of the picture and I scan regulary from afternoon, Lala, Petit, and LaLA DX. Afternoon is nice because it usually has a nice white gap by the spine which is more forgiving if you mess up. The shoujo magazines are a bit less forgiving.

As for tanks. This is how I debind mine:
    http://www.noated.net/~jojo/step1.html

I realize I'm not in the majority here on this one. But not many people were debinding when I started so I had to come up with my own method. Works pretty well for me now.

New Reply