Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Claymore 85 Review by natli

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore 85 Review by natli

CHAPTER 85: A CAUSE WORTH FIGHTING FOR
    Thanks to shrimpy for the translation! The pictures are from the scanlation by Binktopia.

Rubel

Once again we begin with Rubel. Last month I didn’t have much to say about him since I was pretty confused. But this time I tried to organize my thoughts and came up with a theory. Rubel is conducting a dangerous experiment named ‘Clare’. His approach is: either get stronger or die.

Let’s start from the beginning. As any experimentator Rubel is full of curiosity. It began when he first met Clare. She came to him with Teresa’s head and became the first person to willingly turn into a Claymore. Considering her age at that time, it took a lot of guts. But it didn’t end with that. She fought hard to keep up with other trainees and, even though she was a lot weaker, managed to survive. Rubel took an interest in her, and watched over her progress. Maybe he even cheered her on in her quest for revenge. Number 47 killing an Abyssal one would be quite a spectacle. This lasted till Clare half-awakened in Rabona.

After the half-awakening Clare became a threat. If the Organization would learn what happened, the mainland force allied with the DoD would have a serious problem. That’s when Rubel decided to kill Clare. He sent her and the other half-awakeneds on a series of suicide missions which ended with the Northern Campaign. He suspected that they survived that one too, but as far as he was concerned if they kept a low profile, he could let them live.

The third stage began when, after 7 years, the survivors appeared once again. This time with a clear goal: to destroy the Organization. The existence of the Ghosts is still a threat for Rubel’s side, but they are also valuable as powerful enemies of the Organization. He adjusted his strategy accordingly. He wants to make them stronger, so that they would not fall in the hands of the Organization. He decided it would be good if the Ghosts joined forces with someone like Raphaela. That was the purpose of his whole story. He just wanted to give them the info about Riful, Renee and Raphaela. He never expected that they would actually go and fight an Abyssal to rescue a complete stranger. Even a person like Clare wouldn’t do that. A for Luciela and Raphaela, Rubel’s words gave me hope that after awakening Raphaela’s mind will be in control and that she and Clare will join forces.

All in all, he wants to help the Ghosts so that they become stronger, but if they die he won’t be troubled…well, maybe a bit disappointed. As for his relationship with Clare, I think he is interested in her as an experiment not as a human being. Moreover, he keeps making one mistake. He isn’t scared. Clare and Miria have the power and the brains to destroy any kind of scheme he comes up with.

Uma

Uma’s attitude in this chapter gave me a lot to think about. When the issue of facing Riful came up, she reacted almost violently. It seemed she was terrified. What will happen with her when the Ghosts will confront the Organization? They will have a very small chance of survival. Moreover, if she really is so scared, why did she follow the rest on this campaign? Was it a sign of solidarity? Or maybe she didn’t want to be left alone? If the latter is true she might simply run away at some point or even betray the Ghosts if the other side will offer her safety…well, maybe I’m reading too much into her reaction but fear makes people do strange things.

Helen

The story that Helen told Dietrich was smart. From the perspective of an ordinary Claymore it is more probable that the Organization has some special forces than that there are deserters who were able to survive for several years. Moreover, deserters wouldn't try to draw attention to themselves by attacking the Awakened and even if they decided to kill it they should have killed Dietrich too. Paradoxically, Helen’s crazy behavior makes her story look plausible. But she might have slipped up earlier…

The scene above was awesome. It reminded me that Helen can stretch her limbs. If she ever turns into a partially awakened being (like Clare) this ability will be probably her main way of attacking. It is a common youma ability and we saw it used many times but maybe she will use it in an interesting way. Nevertheless, this ability is a sign of half-awakening, and showing it to Dietrich was a mistake.

Dietrich

Finally, we meet a Claymore that makes the present generation look good. She’s fast, strong, has good reflexes and can apparently jump very high. Moreover, with the amount of attention given to her, she is shaping up to be an important character. Dietrich is a bit similar to Miria. She thinks fast, cares for her team and has a sense of honor. I also think that sooner or later she will figure out that something doesn’t add up in Helen’s story. The question is, what will happen with her? Will she become an ally? Or maybe an enemy who will help to make the Organization’s side look more humane?

Another question is why does she look better than numbers 3 and 5? Is it just because Riful can make anyone look bad? But honestly, she showed some good moves. She managed to dodge both Ghosts and was much faster than Helen. Maybe she is moving upwards in the ranks or maybe she is another half-awakened.

But more importantly… we should change her name. Most of you are probably aware that ‘Dietrich’ is a boy’s name. So, before anything happens with her, let’s choose a nickname

The Chat on the Cliff

The conversation that Helen and Deneve were having was a great source of information. We learnt that the Organization has a shortage of high-ranked Claymores. The only reason that comes to my mind is that they are looking for Renee. That sure shows how important is the Organization’s Eye and how much they are afraid of Riful’s plans.

Another issue mentioned was the age of Claymores. Helen says that Clare is like a spoiled brat. But what age is considered ‘old’ or ‘young’ for a Claymore? It is about time we learnt how old Clare is (or anyone else for that matter). There must be some kind of average age for Claymores, since at one point it was said that Galatea was getting old.

The Map

The map in this chapter shows many important places in the Claymore world. Among others it shows Irene’s hideout, which only fueled speculation on whether she really got killed. Personally, I'm sure that Raphaela didn't spare her life. Not because it's impossible but rather because having Irene appear out of nowhere for the second time would be bad storytelling. The 'returning from the dead' cliché cannot be used too often… but now that I wrote this I'm wondering what I will write if she really does come back

Conclusion

This was a better chapter than the one last month and that’s why this review is far longer. Also, thre was a lot of great shots, so much so that I had a problem with choosing only few. I hope that the action will pick up soon and Renee will awaken the sisters (and Isley will appear and Clare will meet Raki and Priss and…) See you next month!

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sportgal1's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 85 Review by natli

I don't know why everyone has such a problem with Dietrich's name. It's her name and she can't help it. Does it really matter if it's a guy's name? I have no trouble of relating it to her, it seems to fit her personality. Okay, i'm done ranting about that.

I think that Dietrich is like Miria too. I almost think that she's keeping her rank down on purpose. Riful may be strong, but 3 and 5 couldn't even tell that she was strong. That was pretty bad, i think. Either she's hiding her strength, or she's up-and-coming like you said.

As for Helen's cover story, I think it was a bit see through. It didn't impress me all that much. When Deneve followed her, i think that deneve would've gone with or without helen, helen just ticked her off pretending that she didn't want to go. This chapter was a change of pace and i like the fighting, but it seemed to have less developement and it felt way, way too short, so i personally liked the last chapter better.

It's funny, the only person who says there's an outside world is Rubel. Can we really believe him. It'd be a pretty awesome twist if he made it up, although i can't think of any good reasons why right now. Maybe to inspire the Claymores, see their full potential, but that's not a really effective method. hmm.....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Rubel is full of contradictions. I can't figure him out and that's why he's one of my favorite characters. At one time he secretly wished Clare good luck and a while later he sent her on suicide mission. He's fond of her alright but he's showing his love in a strange way. He called her „ugly duckling” i.e. he believed she will become a strong warrior. In fact willingly or not he was catalyst in Clare's growth. Actually I'm not sure he wanted her dead at any point. He could have killed her many times after all but for some reason always gave her chance to survive. When he sent her to Pieta he was bold - try to survive there or die now. Tough choice but he was straight and allowed her to level up rather than ordered Raphaela to kill her.
    Quote Originally Posted by natli
    (...) A for Luciela and Raphaela, Rubel’s words gave me hope that after awakening Raphaela’s mind will be in control and that she and Clare will join forces.
    Which words? I haven't seen any indication of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by natli
    (...) As for his relationship with Clare, I think he is interested in her as an experiment not as a human being. Moreover, he keeps making one mistake. He isn’t scared. Clare and Miria have the power and the brains to destroy any kind of scheme he comes up with.
    To me Rubel doesn't look like a scientist/experimenter at all. Clare isn't his experiment, she's a pupil or a pet like she was once for Teresa (only at first of course). These obstacles he's providing her are meant to make her stronger just like trainers do to make their sportsman achieve the impossible. But that's just my guess.
    One other thing that stroke me was Rubel's response: „you can go to the org if you want, blah, blah, bla... they won't believe you anyway”. Why would they not believe fab 7? Would they have reason to lie? Even if they didn't believe their words Rubel should be put under surveillance. That's logical course of action. If I receive anonymous tip that my trusted employee is cooperating with rival company I wouldn't ignore it but look closer at it.
    Also, what's interesting when Rubel said that Clare brought him Teresa's head and asked him to enter the organization Cynthia and Uma didn't even flinch. Either they've known that much about Clare or they were too occupied analyzing Rubel's other words. Or it could be they quickly bit their tongues and realized that asking Clare about is futile since she never mentioned it thus she wanted it to remain a secret. And I wonder how much about Clare Miria knows. She presumably had access to org's files, she shared with Clare information about Rubel being her informant... She was the only one of the fab 7 that realized Clare's enormous potential (even now Helen and Deneve are all over Miria and think that Clare is weaker while Miria knows that Clare is the boss).

As for Dietrich, I agree. That name doesn't fit at all. It may not be strange to Japanese but for most Europeans it is.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

She's a guy in disguise!! :P

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh, if we need a nickname for Dietrich, how about Dee? Anyways glad to see your review Natli, I like seeing another's opinions on Claymore. About Helens arm streaching. Miria said when she first saw it that normally a Claymore can only do it when near the limits of Yoki release. I would assume that a stronger Claymore would be able to do it with less effort, so Dee may just assume she's really strong. Also most of the Orgs Claymores don't know that a part awakening is possible. So if she buys Helen's story she may just assume that the "secret squad" is made of of warriors at the single digit level. Witch is sorta true. As for Yuma I see her as bieng the voice of sanity in this situation. She's bieng like Ussop or Nami in One Piece. If it comes to a fight, she'll stick with everyone and contribute.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

@Sportgal1
    The scenario in which the mainland is Rubel's invention gives me nightmares but I have it in the back of my mind because it's still possible.
    @Góral
    "But you know, I also took good care of Rafaela in the past and I've grown fond of her, too. If you were not to meet her as enemies, I think the lot of you would get along well..."
    I had this quote in mind. Maybe it's paranoia but anything that Rubel says sounds like a premonition to me.
    @Super Angillis
    You may have a point with this 'voice of reason', god knows they need one. And I also hope that Uma will remain with the Ghosts.

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as I pointed out in my own review, Rubels comment about Claire and Raphelea chills me. Because he has to have known about Claire meeting with Irene, and he definitly knew about Raphelea bieng sent after Irene (he probably gave her the order). So theres a certain nasty irony in him saying that.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member rukori's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

That and the map makes me think again about Irene's death.. It can't be left in the shadows for long and I don't think Irene is alive 'cause if Yagi just keep bringing people from the dead it will lose it's appeal... I can already imagine Clare sobing over Irene's pack of bones.

you shouldn't be so quick to die. life is a precious thing...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Darklight01's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

srsly,wats rong w/ 'dietrich'? lol... its a good female name...atleast i havnt seen it used for a guy...then again i live in usa...might b different elsewhere but still nice girl name...nuthin rong w/ it

New Reply