Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How were you introduced to One Piece?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How were you introduced to One Piece?

This is a simple enough thread all it's really asking is how did you get hooked on One Piece and what was your first opinion of it?

I ask this question because OP has(in my opinion) a very uphill battle when getting new readers because of a host of reasons( Dub Piece, the beginning chapters aren't even in the same planet as Arlong Arc onwards, some people find the art to be weird etc.) and because a lot of people start out reading One Piece expecting it to be terrible and I feel that a lot of people have good stories for how they got hooked.

Anyways I'll start:

The first time I ever saw OP was on Toonami and I was watching the dub and I considered it to be okay not great or anything. Watched it for a bit and then it stopped showing and didn't touch it for a while.

I started watching other anime's a bit and heard a little about OP and eventually once I found a good site to watch the anime and once I hit Arlong Arc I never looked back, ever.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Stop's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How were you introduced to One Piece?

I didn't like it at first saw the dub but then my friend kept talking about it so I looked for the subs and I started around epi 180 after that I got hooked and watched the anime for like 3 days straight to the fight with lucchi then went back to read everything.
    But yeah the dub almost made me miss a great anime/manga
    Quote Originally Posted by paradoxe View Post
    Its not a king's court, its a pirate ship damnit

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Yabe's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Me next
    My first encounter with One Piece's through the manga. I was reading a WSJ-like magazine when some chapters of One Piece were already published in; so the first chap I read was about Zoro's first appearance.

I thought he was just cool like those dark and cold type of a hero not so different from many other manga, but because Oda paired him up with Luffy the captain who had funny and unpredictable characters/atmosphere (which's actually the thing that interested me: Luffy himself) it made me curious and interest to know the next. The way the story's told also hooked me, it left no meaningless panels but concise and total.
    (Let alone it's the story about pirates which I had prior impression on... So yessh, One Piece FTW! )

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member admirenkiwi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Was bored. At first i thought it was a random anime with ugly drawings and everything but my sister watched it so much and kept telling me that i should watch it that i got curious. After leaving it half way through the first episode before, i ended up liking the rest of the anime as i went on watching as how many awesome characters started to follow after Luffy. Its just one of the best animes i've watched now. (i never watch in dubbed so i dont spoil my animes that way)

and as the person above said, its pirates! its just as interesting as ninjas are.
    Last edited by admirenkiwi; November 08, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt its greatness call me...
    LOL
    Actually I started watching the anime and then I decided I liked it so i read the manga which was more ahead.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Darek Khort's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I had just finished watching Rahxephon on Youtube; and then I searched for other Anime to get my hands on and One Piece was there. I watched a bit and started to like it. Watched continously for a good hundred or so episodes; maybe more. In fact I only started reading the manga around some time after Enel and Sky Island.
    The artwork definately improved after Enies Lobby; especially in the Anime. Love the current artwork.

I only watched a few seconds of Dub Piece with one episode of the Davy Back Fights; and immediately never wished to touch it ever again. There are few Anime that sounds good in English (Rahxephon for instance; I prefer dub rather than the Jap).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member toxun's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple nostalgic question. I like One Piece from my younger bro (overlapped ). He assemble quite numerous its scanlations. He also collect some anime episode from unknown source (honest I've no idea how come he can collect em' all ). At first I don't interested but nowI'M CRAZY FOR IT

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My brother brought the manga, he came and said to me "Look, it's funny how the guys in this manga scream!!" and "The author is a Dragonball fan, look how Shanks looks like Trunks"... =P
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a kid and we were going to visit grandpa. I bought a random number of Dragonball to read in the car, and there was this add for One Piece - pirate manga, coming soon to Finland! I had always liked pirates, so decided to give it a shot. When we arrived to grandpa, we visited the local supermarket for some supplies. There it was, the first volume. I bought, read it, and loved it. Especially i liked the first chapter, it was epic. And character of Luffy, Shanks and Zoro struck me. I patiently read the once a month releases 'till vol 10 or so. Then I watched the anime (Alabasta and Skypiea arcs) in YOutube. I coulnd't wait and I started to read the latest chapters online. Thats my story ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo good thread. =)

First time i heard from one piece was in the "banzaimagazine" which was also my first contact zu mangas. And not so much later i have seen it on the german television (at this time without many cuts) and was a fan. I loved especially the ending of the first episode with zoro in bondage and as music a hard riff from a electric guitar. =D

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched Dub first (was just starting watching subs much less manga) and started avoiding One piece (cork guns just shot out my heart right out). Read how horrible dub is and gave manga a try (smaller file size).

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

One day I was changing channels and I see this wierd kidd stretching his arms. It was like WTF? I kept watching and some time later I discovered manga. Later on, when I caught up with the naruto manga I was bored and found the one piece manga. This happened around july of the last year...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I never bothered with it because I figured it was just Pirate Naruto. My friends kept insisting that it was basically the same anime as Yakitate Japan (another great anime if you haven't seen it, and it includes a one piece reference), and so I finally gave it a chance and got hooked.

My girlfriend was all about naruto and didn't want to touch one piece (she had seen the dub first) so I made her a deal that we'd start watching them together. I showed her the first three episodes of one piece and I had to sit through three (grueling) episodes of shippuden. She liked one piece enough to start watching it by herself and I haven't had to put up with naruto since. Good deal.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZeroChrome's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked to OP since the very first volume of the manga, but never really watched the anime until like 3-4 years ago, when I learned to download stuff from the net. but the very first animated OP that I watched is the Movie 2 that I bought and it was awesome enough to make me buy all the released tankos and movies to support the author

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I first stumbled upon it when I was in my "all-anime" period actually. I had read alot of manga and felt a bit tired of it. But then one time, being rather indifferent to most of his manga collection (I'd read all the volumes of Dragonball, Ranma½ etc. that he had). I went through it from top to bottom and started reading the first volume of One Piece (swedish translation) just for fun and it made made me laugh out loud from the first chapter.

I read the first five volumes there, which was all he had, and since I didn't have any money for buying manga, I started watching the anime from the beginning and found it just as awesome as the manga (which it actually was once upon a time). I watched all the episodes I could possibly find online (up until somewhere at the beginning of the Enies Lobby arc) and started reading the manga from there on until the latest chapter which was late second water 7 arc or something. From then on I've been more into manga than anime.

(THEN I started reading the manga from the beginning and I realized you can't really compare the manga with the anime. )

New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast