Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How were you introduced to One Piece?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How were you introduced to One Piece?

Unlike most other here as it seems g... I was a fan from the first days.[Scanlations were just unbeknown for me back than. When were the first ones released?] XD Must have been in the fall or winter 2000, when it was first advertised in the last DragonBall mangas. He [Oda] was called a successor of Toriyama, so I naturally started to read it from the first volume.^^
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 16, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member croissant's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i started when i saw the anime on tv. Got interested in it and started lurking it on mirc and got hooked on it since. Sure the art wasn't fantastic but its it story and comedy that kept me coming back for more. My older bro can't seem to like it cuz of the art...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member slippy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i ordered the HK dvds of the first 52 epis 7 years ago with my brothers money, was able to see the greatness through the poorly subtitled 'Roof' and 'Sunkist' names and many other mistakes and misinterpretations, and here I am today

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Animes SUXXXXXX.
    I head that it was the best shonen so I decided to read it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

RTL2 -> German television sender. This national sender introduced me One Piece and I kept watching it since I was sucked in the story. Later I found the manga (OP Romance Dawn) on Banzai (stk like a German Monthly Shōnen Jump). This was all back 5-6 years ago.

Around Sky Pia Arc I switched over to Kaizoku Fansubs (Jap Dub/Eng Sub). Also began to read the manga which was currently around AoKiji/W7 Arc.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kaiser Will's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Hum, what a nostalgic question, makes me reminds good times watching One Piece!
    Nonetheless, a friend of mine always keep insisting for me watch the anime, and I always rejecting, but one time for curiosity I downloaded and never more stop, in the begining, I have watched 25 epis in one day! And after I was introduced to manga, that is really great too, because I love what Oda do. And I have a strange eccentricity of keep every stuuf of One Piece in my pc!

Sametimes people keep asking why I like this things(anime)?
    And I answered, because that the author makes you feel that you are in the history, feeling the pain, hapiness, joy, sadness, angry and many others thing!

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Penny's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I was first introduced to it by my cousin, who's a computer programmer/slight otaku. He told me about One Piece, but the Chinese name and the Japanese name. I asked him about the English translation/dub, and he said "One Piece." I got curious , watched a few episodes, and decided I had many more things to do (such as video games and school work).

Then, in the summer of my sophmore year, I decided to try it again. The arc of Baroque Works blew me away. Skypeia made me cry. One Piece is such a beautiful alternative to the real world, where all your dreams are shattered one by one.
    "... The eternally vanished cinema of despair is reeling itself and being turned today without showing a smile or tears. ... Forever on, the cinema of despair is being played and is being reeled yet again today. ... Just like a broken toy."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member JC123's Avatar
    City of Eternal Darkness, and it ain't Alaska!
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Japanese friend that absolutely loved One Piece. It came on Sundays in Okinawa and he would NEVER go out on that day. We became roommates in Vegas and he would still religiously watch One Piece through downloading.

He was the one that said "You gotta watch this" so one day I did. When I saw Usopp taking on Kuja and getting his arse handed to him, I was hooked. Here's a guy fighting with nothing more than a peashooter and he's getting back up.

Then we go to him taking a 4 ton bat... And whooping arse yet again.

I've been hooked for about 3 years now...

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I first stumbled across OP in sumemr '05 in beligum. i was watching a channel a french channel called "Mangas". they were showing the Arlong arc then and i remember the episode being shown was Arlong vs Luffy when he threw him in the water. after that i sorta forgot about it, but came back to it in march '07 and haven't looked back since

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member nxlouco's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, If I remember correctly I was watching the english dub, then I decided to look for it, then saw that the manga and sub were much better, I read like 400 chapters in one day
    Credits To Akasunanosasori For The Sig

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member asuka23's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the 4kids dub a couple of years back and I found it to be incredibly repulsive. The art was unorthodox, the premise seemed incredibly flat and of course, the god awful dub equivalent to scratching nails to a board. naturally, I didn't bother watching anymore of it.

a year later, a friend at another site urged me to reconsider it, and I was rather surprised at its popularity (which intrigued me and compelled me to give it another shot). I was very pleased by the quality of OP, 2 years after I gave it a second chance, its now my 2nd favorite manga and I follow the latest episodes.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler: Long, detailed, and quite possibly dull personal history here. If you are the sort of person who cannot watch home movies without wanting to kill yourself, you may not want to read this: show
    Last edited by Imitorar; April 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Giving a MUCH more detailed account.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rotten The Wizard's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Like most people, it started on a saturday morning while flipping through channels. I really liked the dub theme song. Right then and there I knew this story had potential
    Horrendous are the days that I ravage these seas!

One Piece is the most epic manga out, I kid you not.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Dr. Vegapunk's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was never so much into anime, so I wasnt introduced to it through the anime. I was very much into naruto at the time like about 5 years ago, I decided to visit the Shonen Jump website, and on there they had brief descriptions of the plots of many of the manga they had, I came across One Piece there and decided to check it out, I've loved it ever since, I then decided to watch the anime after I caught up and I loved it even more since they add adventures that we dont get to see in the manga, but I definitely prefer the manga more.

I started to introduce it to my fellow friends, at first they were like "that horrible 4kids show" I convinced them to try it, and now there fanboys, every year they decide to dress up as pirates, color fruit (Devil Fruits!!!), and parade around local anime and manga gatherings around schools and homes. Who knows I might go cosplay!!! sike!!! I'am not the dress up type.

I get alot of heat for watching anime and manga, If anyone tried it once with the right manga or anime, you can get totally hooked!!! It gives you drama, action, comedy, a freakin gallon of tears, it keeps you guessing only to be totally surprised, your pulled into the world, and the stories are sometimes realllllllly long which is a good thing!!! and did I mention its like a drug. Manga, Anime, Video Games, Music and Art are like a daily drug for me.

ONE PIECE FTFW!!!!! Oh yeah!!!
    Last edited by Dr. Vegapunk; December 01, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tenryuken's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

just by watching TV.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast