Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How were you introduced to One Piece?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How were you introduced to One Piece?

Watched the english dub anime and them read the english manga. I realised I was addicted -_-' and needed more OP

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I started with the Manga. My grandma bought the first volume as a birthday present for me some years ago and I read it, I bought volume 2-5 (the only ones that were translated so far) and waited for each volume to be sold until volume 40. Then I switched to OneManga and here I go.

Edit: The Anime is trash, too many really idiotic fillers.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I saw/heard about One Piece was when I was browsing the US WSJ web page and clicked on the OP icon. It showed a picture of Luffy which I disliked due to the art. What got me interested in it though was when I happened to see the cover art of OP Grand Battle 3 for the PS2. The cover was so cool and the art seemed a lot better.

I watched the first three arcs on Toonami. The dub, plus the bad synthetic music made the show really uninteresting. I then downloaded the next episode in the original Japanese (with subs). I made a mistake though, and instead of it being in the Baratie arc, it was the Arlong arc. I don't know what it is, but the Arlong arc has some magical effect on people. It was the beginning of the greatness and awesomeness that is One Piece!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

it all started a while ago...
    i saw this stupied kid sayiing things that made no sense.well i didnt want to waste my time on him ,but i didnt realy had anything better to do.
    it was as i suspected he wasnt my type - too childish but he did make me laugh and later on intreduce my to some ather cool guys. so i went with them along the way and without noticing become a part a the crew.
    nice piece. thanks

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i started buying jump to read naruto but the more i read of one piece the more i liked it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SilversDKRayleigh View Post
    i started buying jump to read naruto but the more i read of one piece the more i liked it.
    I was hokked on after finishing the 42'th book of dragon ball, I went to the book store and bought One Piece 1, 2 and 3... That was propperly back in 2003. I really liked them, But I quited reading OP due to not being able to wait.
    I did that for so many times.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member noonethere's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems I am the only one who discovered one piece thanks to MH :P

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember buying Dragonball for my younger brothers (DB was huge fun for them at that time). I wasn't really into DB, but japanese art in form of anime wasn't unknown to me. Anyway, in one of the books was a picture of Luffy and a cheetah (?), it was an add for the launch of the swedish translation of OP. I can't say it made a big first impression, but it made me remember the title when I fund myself in the bookstore later (this was back in 2003). I was surprised the manga was about pirates, and as I began to read One Piece for the first time my only thought was that *this is really something*, and I still do .

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member reinen's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

It was when I'm still a middle highschooler. It was the anime that I know first, aired every Sunday morning, after DB series. Then, not long after that, the comic series get licensed in my country. At first, I'm not that interested in it, but later on after I got the access on internet and downloaded the scanlations, i began addicted. God Bless the scanlators and Oda.

Anyway, as of now I still don't have the volumes...when I got a sum of money, I'm definitely buying it. (next year? maybe... :P)

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rotten The Wizard's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

the dub on tv years ago.
    The opening was extremely catchy. The most catchy opnening I've ever seen/heard.
    anyway, after that it was OP fiend
    Horrendous are the days that I ravage these seas!

One Piece is the most epic manga out, I kid you not.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dRizzit's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

'04 or '05 summer I saw One Piece Volume 1. in market and bought it because it looked good. Later I started to watch anime too like every night till there wasn't fansubs made for episodes anymore. (at least didn't find any)

Hee, when I find something new and exciting that's the outcome.

Same happened with DBZ and Naruto.
    Last edited by dRizzit; April 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Speed is weight

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mugiwara_no_Jack's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, OP got me, when I read the Dragon Ball volumes which were published here in Germany. After the 42nd volume, the publisher announced something like "there're adventures after Dragon Ball", which was OP.
    After publishing the first 4 volumes at once, I read volume 1 and instantly fall in love with it, so I bought the other 3 volumes.
    Every month came another volume in stores and I began to love it more and more.

So that's how I got contact with OP ... still, every week I read online the weekly chapter and buy the volumes in German ... this month volume 50 is published ... awesome, how fast time runs (and even more awesome that Germany is that close to the Japanese volumes ... I mean, is there any country where volume 50 is translated and published? Don't think so ^^)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member d3death's Avatar
    Country
    Afghanistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my friend crashed his hard.

while counting what he lost.. he was most upset about something called one piece anime..

so to complete the collection again.. we downloaded it complete..
    and this was when i watched it..

stayed awake for 3-4 days+nights non-stop and watched whole in 1 go..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member monkey D luffy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

at first i saw a commercial about it on jetix and thought that i might as well watch it, the hebrew dub was pretty good but had some major flaws, first of they called luffy luppy and usoop usopa and they censored a bit (well alot) and it just stoped after dragons first appearence and since then we get reruns of the 50 or so first episodes, i decided to watch it online and ended up watching arouind 12 hours a day (it was already the end of enies lobby) and i cought up with the current episodes in less then a week. im addicted after i cought up and started to have one piece only once a week i decided to start reading the manga.
    my new dragons:

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Superman's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it was.....2004 i think! Every day i came from school i had to eat and watched tv. I never was into something like that but it was an episode about luffy nami zorro and water!!!
    Anyway it made an good impression because it was summertime and there was sun in the tv as well and sun kinda makes me happy. After that i never watched it but after a time the anime reached the time where Luffy fought against Croc the first time. It was the episode where croc created the storm. It was good but since i was more concerned about my spaghettis staying hot, tv wasnt so interesting, but the ending was great and from that day on i wanted to watch it everytime after school and while eating! ( by the way it was still summertime....cough cough *handwave* who cares) The funny thing is! Since then i cant eat while a commercial break is running even if it is a delicious pizza and is getting cold dammit!
    Last edited by Superman; April 21, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    March 28, 2006—Pampering pets with designer goods isn't so unusual—and now even your houseflies can get outfitted in style.

The fly has cooler glasses than me!!!
    EHHHHHHH WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE CONTACTS WOOOOOT

New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast