Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 125 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shounen Magazine (Kodansha)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekly Shounen Magazine (Kodansha)

Well I really was never going to do this one too...but with Sunday and Jump with talkbacks and a new initiative at Ritual regarding them, I decided to try a talkback for the third and final of the shonen big 3: Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine. Hopefully it will start actively picking up like Sunday's is at this time but we'll see what happens. For the time being, here's what we got for the week:

Spoiler: 2010 Covers show

Issue 50
    -Fukamaru Akina (model, cover)
    -Bloody Monday (color page)
    -Tobaku Haō-den Zero
    -Hajime no Ippo
    -Shinyaku "Kyojin no Hoshi" Hanagata
    -Zerosen
    -Shigyaku Keiyakusha Faust
    -Daiya no Ace
    -Shibatora (cp)
    -Seito Kaiyakuindono
    -15 no Yoru AIDS (short story, cp)
    -Godhand Teru
    -Fairy Tail
    -Smash!! (cp)
    -Code Breaker
    -Baby Step
    -Area no Kishi
    -Ahiru no Sora
    -Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
    -Mahou Sensei Negima!
    -Air Gear
    -Junjō Karen na Ore-tachi da!
    -Pero Pero Pet!
    -Mou Shimasen Kara
    -Shimada Eijirou no Choi to Dake Gekijou
    -Absent: Tsubasa, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Kimi no Iru Machi

Issue 51:
    -Fairy Tail X Yankee-kun to Megane-chan (crossover, cover/cp)
    -Fairy Tail (cp)
    -Yankee-kun to Megane-chan (cp)
    -15 no Yoru AIDS (continued, cp)

Cover/content images (from Ritual):

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/937471/02.jpg.html
    http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/937472/03.jpg.html

As for content: I know a few of these series, but of this only two things are certain:
    1. Hajime no Ippo = KochiKame/Conan, the old man of the mag that remains popular or won't go for anything
    2. Negima = D.Gray-man, not so high in the ranks but always a top seller in volume format.

Moderator message by: hatsuharupeace
    Edited thread name; added the "Weekly Shounen" bit. Have fun discussing guys!
    Last edited by Akiyama; July 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added cover

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sexy Randal 105's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magazine TOC Talkback

I want a Shonen Rival toc. =P

Just kidding. But wow Air Gear is low.
    Click here to read my story, "Shadow Hawk."

Currently reading: Claymore, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezlebub, Akaboshi.

Listen to my podcast here.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hayashida's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

or a young gan gan toc :3

but yeah, nice one ataru, i love weekly magazine;
    wow, bloody monday up top, fairy tail around the middle the negima down below, bizarro
    some of those other series sound damn interesting too

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    or a young gan gan toc :3

but yeah, nice one ataru, i love weekly magazine;
    wow, bloody monday up top, fairy tail around the middle the negima down below, bizarro
    some of those other series sound damn interesting too
    It's not that bizarre: Negima is usually around the mid-bottom of the mag...but as I said in the intro, I consider it like D.Gray-man: it doesn't get the rank but it's sales are huge! (being a Negima fan until...well, events that have happened through the last year)

Somehow though I've never read either (want to read one of them due to the author and my promise after finishing his "previous" series), the fact there is a Fairy Tail/Yankee-Megane crossover next week seems like fun...though both are about at the length that they should be getting an anime by now. (though hopefully after what happened with RAVE, they get an animation studio who knows to pace themselves...though considering Magazine anime never last as long as Jump's or even Sunday's, it may be another year-series)

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i guess d.gray and negima are similar in those respects

fairy tail is damn good man; but yeah whats with the cross over? that stuff happen often? does seem pretty fun
    yeah i've been dying for a fairy tail anime, watching all these shorter series that havent been around as long getting eps.
    what did happen with RAVE? i heard it did pretty terribly...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

fairy tail is damn good man; but yeah whats with the cross over? that stuff happen often? does seem pretty fun
    yeah i've been dying for a fairy tail anime, watching all these shorter series that havent been around as long getting eps.
    what did happen with RAVE? i heard it did pretty terribly...
    Been wanting to read Fairy Tail myself but sort of made myself oblidged to finish RAVE first...since I've spent all year collecting it and grew to love it.

I don't know about ratings or anything, but one of the biggest problems with RAVE...was that it was just animated too soon. By the second half of the anime, they were literally going one chapter an episode and ended (from what I hear since the last episode I saw was around the intro of the Dohryu Squad) with a massive story-turning event. It's such a shame the anime was done the way it is, both due to it's content and how much was never gotten to...but I sort of rediscovered the series through the manga and love everything I've seen of it, both what was and what wasn't animated. (though strangely enough I now own all of Tokyopop's releases but the last I read was Haru vs. Shuda in the sky...)

As for the cross-over...I don't know how often they happen but I think the Yankee/Megane mangaka is a former assistant of Mashima's...so it's sort of like, for example, some of the team-up art between Watsuki (the master), Oda & Takei (the students).

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread! So many unappreciated/underscnalated series in ShoMag I don't know where to start. Bloody Monday and Code Breaker are amazing series. It's a shame Del Ray has no taste in manga: how do you license Dragon Eyes two years ahead of SZS? I have no hope for licensed Daiya no Ace.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    Been wanting to read Fairy Tail myself but sort of made myself oblidged to finish RAVE first...since I've spent all year collecting it and grew to love it.

I don't know about ratings or anything, but one of the biggest problems with RAVE...was that it was just animated too soon. By the second half of the anime, they were literally going one chapter an episode and ended (from what I hear since the last episode I saw was around the intro of the Dohryu Squad) with a massive story-turning event. It's such a shame the anime was done the way it is, both due to it's content and how much was never gotten to...but I sort of rediscovered the series through the manga and love everything I've seen of it, both what was and what wasn't animated. (though strangely enough I now own all of Tokyopop's releases but the last I read was Haru vs. Shuda in the sky...)

As for the cross-over...I don't know how often they happen but I think the Yankee/Megane mangaka is a former assistant of Mashima's...so it's sort of like, for example, some of the team-up art between Watsuki (the master), Oda & Takei (the students).
    daymn. yeah its pretty annoying when a good thing end because of a stupid decision. i guess thats why i haven't heard inkling about a fairy tail anime anywhere. RAVE must've been pretty good though for you to buy so many vols

its pretty cool that mangakas do that kinda thing. the plot lines might'n be so serious, but i can see how the coming together of teacher and student would be good for the art and would inspire those looking to get into it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

daymn. yeah its pretty annoying when a good thing end because of a stupid decision. i guess thats why i haven't heard inkling about a fairy tail anime anywhere. RAVE must've been pretty good though for you to buy so many vols
    It's sort of weird how I got back into RAVE...with the way the anime turned out, both from how crappy Tokyopop was and the anime in itself (this infamous moment involving Haru's father punching King over and over for no reason whatsoever), I sort of forgot I liked the story regardless of it's faults. Then one day, I was browsing through a Barnes and Nobel and checked out a later volume...and something in me reawakened. (whether it was the characters, the plots, the powers, the fact everyone was talking about Fairy Tail...or just the fact there was a cute catgirl) I picked up the first two RAVE manga volumes and spent the last year getting every Tokyopop volume up to the most recent one released! Sure I don't have time to read it (as I said, the last I read was the end of the Haru/Shuda rematch) but I do not regret it. (I also got the first two Getbackers volumes the same day...but while Hevn is...well, heaven, I just couldn't get into it somehow)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I've never really heard of anything in Magazine other than Zetsubou, Fairy tail and Code Breaker. I've read some Megane though....either way nice new thread! Maybe I can find a manga in here to like that won't die in a year.....

(Excuse me, just mourning the loss of Hyde.)
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting i really hope Shonen magazine will grow a more scanlation following, i have only heard of a hand full of series on here :-/.

Look forward to catching up on some and discussing the TOC with everyone lol.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Succubus's Avatar
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

so many sports in this magazine.... like 30%

WSJ got only one sports.. ES21 Lol

anyways is it true that tetsuwan break got canceled?
    known as Lucifer / Killy69 / Medusa / L41n / Guts

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Magazine TOC Talkback

Compared to Jump (yeah...I can't believe ES21 is all that's left), Magazine loves its sports, whether it's soccer, baseball, boxing or...badminton!? They also seem to be more reliant on "slice of life" and "dramatic" series compared to the others, giving it the image to some of the "mature" of the shonen trio.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What Shonen Magazine series are scanlated? and what is their status?????????? (WIP)

Issue 50
    -Bloody Monday Yes but Slow, Currently at v2c9, if you can help the scanlation group, please do.
    -Tobaku Haō-den Zero --- Nope.
    -Hajime no Ippo Yes, caught up YAY
    -Shinyaku "Kyojin no Hoshi" Hanagata -- Nope
    -Zerosen - nope
    -Shigyaku Keiyakusha Faust - Nope
    - Daiya no Ace -- 2 chapters released, Please help the scanlator catch up if you can.
    -Shibatora -- Yes but about 6 volumes behind, if you can help the scanlator catch up please do.
    -Seito Kaiyakuindono-- Nope
    - Godhand Teru Stalled, volume 3 chapter 12 (SOMEONE PICK THIS UP! PLEASE lol)
    -15 no Yoru AIDS -- nope
    -Fairy Tail -- yes, and caught up (YAY!)
    -Smash!! -- Stalled, 22 chapters released, currently around 10 volumes in japan.
    -Code Breaker Caught up
    -Baby Step -- Nope
    -Area no Kishi -- YES! currently being scanlated, latest release c14, if you can help out the scanlation group please do!
    -Ahiru no Sora-- Yes, but behind! if you can help the scanlator please do!.
    -Yankee-kun to Megane-chan -- Yes! but behind, please help the scanlator if you can.
    -Mahou Sensei Negima! YES! and Caught up!
    -Air Gear Yes! and CAUGHT UP! yay!
    -Junjō Karen na Ore-tachi da! -- Nope
    -Pero Pero Pet! -- Nope
    -Mou Shimasen Kara -- Kinda, only the one shot has been scanlated.
    -Shimada Eijirou no Choi to Dake Gekijou -- Nope
    Tsubasa, Yes! and Caught up!
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, -- Stalled, V3c1 (21)
    Kimi no Iru Machi -- Yes, Caught up!

Overall info:
    7 series Caught up, 6 series are being scanlated but are behind, 3 series are stalled, 11 series are unscanlated.
    Last edited by ssjohn; November 13, 2008 at 10:27 AM.
    TVFanOnline the podcasting home for all your television needs from Soaps to Primetime hits and even movies TFO is your one stop shop for all your TV Related podcast needs

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

-SSJohn: The AIDS one I think is either a one-shot or a short story so it only starts in this issue. Other than that, the only series that even seem to be noticed are the ones that have lasted for a long time and the ones really gotten out there...in other words: Ippo, Negima, Air Gear, Tsubasa & Fairy Tail. Zetsubou is a maybe...but only since it's so far behind. I'm a bit surprised that Bloody Monday is so far behind and that even Godhand Teru (which is the second longest currently in the magazine outside Ippo) has little coverage...but something tells me from this hunch in my head that Yankee/Megane may be getting the next major boost.

New Reply
Page 1 of 125 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast