Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Decent hosts?

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rebmastu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Decent hosts?

Earlier this afternoon, ironically almost immediately after I'd released something, go figure, my website was shut down due to someone reporting us for violating copyrights. Eheh.

Anyway, here's my question: Does anyone know of a decent host with a good amount of space and a TON of bandwidth + speedy connections? Cost isn't an issue right now, I just want to get the site back up as soon as humanly possible.

For the record, we were using Dreamhost. (NEVAR AGAIN)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner melfra's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Decent hosts?

(in league with Rebmastu here, actually)
    Cost is definitely an issue. We're not looking for dedicated hosting just yet since, while we draw a decent amount of traffic, it isn't enough to validate much more than a shared server. A connection with decent speed is preferable, but as long as it doesn't crawl around like Dreamhost (Dreamhost? Hmm, where have I heard that before...), we'll be fine.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 1211's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got a 'spare' shared host, the old one we've been using that is, it's not as shitty as dreamhost I reckon, as long as you don't get 200k hits a day

You can use that till you've got a new host if you want, also the new one I switched to is secureservertech.com, it's a bit expensive though, but they include the domain if you pay annually.
    Join nerieru-scans if you want to help on Kenichi!!

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner anpan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We (Maximum7) have a reseller account with our host and have some space and plenty of bandwidth to spare. We are willing to host other scanlation groups for cheap (a few dollars per month) on a first come first serve basis. PM or leave a reply if interested.

If you would rather get your own account, the name of our host is Eleven2. We were also with Dreamhost in the past and I can tell you that Eleven2 is MUCH better than Dreamhost. As a forewarning to any groups considering getting hosting with Dreamhost, their cheap prices and generous space/bandwidth limits may be alluring, but their servers are horridly overcrowded and slow, and they throttle your account if you get any significant amount of traffic. Steer clear.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anpan View Post
    We (Maximum7) have a reseller account with our host and have some space and plenty of bandwidth to spare. We are willing to host other scanlation groups for cheap (a few dollars per month) on a first come first serve basis. PM or leave a reply if interested.

If you would rather get your own account, the name of our host is Eleven2. We were also with Dreamhost in the past and I can tell you that Eleven2 is MUCH better than Dreamhost. As a forewarning to any groups considering getting hosting with Dreamhost, their cheap prices and generous space/bandwidth limits may be alluring, but their servers are horridly overcrowded and slow, and they throttle your account if you get any significant amount of traffic. Steer clear.
    I've heard decent thing about Eleven2 (then again, I heard good things about 1 and 1 as well as Dreamhost, so yeah), and it was one of the hosts we were considering. I noticed they have a pretty sweet deal going on right now too, so that makes the whole thing sweeter, but how is their downtime and speed? Can't seem to get any good answers through google since everyone seems to mention these things only when it gets bad.

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner anpan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Their uptime is very good, any time our server has gone down their support team was quick to respond to our requests. Speed is also very good, they used to be faster when they were using Litespeed, but they moved back to Apache and now it's a bit slower but still by far faster than Dreamhost. You don't need to worry about the deal right now because they usually have a sale whenever there is a holiday, so if you miss this one just wait a little while and it will happen again.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Their uptime is very good, any time our server has gone down their support team was quick to respond to our requests. Speed is also very good, they used to be faster when they were using Litespeed, but they moved back to Apache and now it's a bit slower but still by far faster than Dreamhost. You don't need to worry about the deal right now because they usually have a sale whenever there is a holiday, so if you miss this one just wait a little while and it will happen again.
    Just wanted to thank you again! Because of your praise for the site we went with Eleven2, and holy crap, it is MUCH faster than Dreamhost. Support has answered all of my questions quickly. I'm quite pleased thus far.

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rolobio's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I use godaddy.com for my hosting and domain name. They're great! The technical support people are very fast and always help me solve my problems. I have 1.5TB of bandwidth and 150GB of space (the Deluxe hosting) and I can hook up any domain name I want in addition to my main (rolobio.com) and they all share the same bandwidth/space...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kazuyama's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

hi can i aso request a reseller acc aso.
    i want to some blog there..
    how much it cost?
    price??
    requirements?

New Reply