Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Why were the Gantz balls created?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why were the Gantz balls created?

I think the 100pt weapons are in the other room next to the swords and bikes. and i think that giant gantz ball might be for teleporting all the gantz to another planet.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

nah, I think it has to be that locked room beside the bike and sword one, maybe there's a locker room inside or something.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skittles's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gantz556 View Post
    It is possible that there are rooms within rooms within rooms (unlocked by getting 100 points).
    http://view.thespectrum.net/series/g...&pg=12-098.jpg

To be honest, I do not really think the 100pt weapons would just be lying around inside the room next to swords and bikes. They are probably just teleported inside the room, when someone got 100 pts.

Still, it does not explain about the mecha/big robot. Is it hidden in the room or just teleported with the player (when he is sent to a mission)?
    I was thinking that you got the H-gun upon teleporting into the room(so it would in your hand when you're fully teleported inside). The mech(said this along time ago lol) is probably split into parts and scattered around the building gantz is in(then put back together when the mission starts(so it's ready for the player when he gets there).(the building is fucking huge though XD)

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the big assumptions thus-far has been, the ball in Germany was the leader or boss ball, if you can even call it that. It has a cult worshiping it as god, so it being the head of everything seem to make sense to me.

As to why the balls were made, I don't have a clear answer for that. I think however, it was created for humanity's benefit. I have no clue where the creator of the Gantz go the technology to d what it does, but that is another deal altogether. Fighting aliens and saving the planet, sounds a bit cheesy but, thats my guess for now.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mishimoto's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope its not about nazi's wanting to rule the world.
    Last edited by Mishimoto; March 11, 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skittles's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie-Kun View Post
    I think one of the big assumptions thus-far has been, the ball in Germany was the leader or boss ball, if you can even call it that. It has a cult worshiping it as god, so it being the head of everything seem to make sense to me.

As to why the balls were made, I don't have a clear answer for that. I think however, it was created for humanity's benefit. I have no clue where the creator of the Gantz go the technology to d what it does, but that is another deal altogether. Fighting aliens and saving the planet, sounds a bit cheesy but, thats my guess for now.
    Haha, maybe God is in that big Gantz ball(reminds me of something nuri said, lol)? XD

I'll post my theory when(if) the next mission begins.(need to confirm something :P)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amigo!'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

you know they say if people have power they usually are corrupted by it, maybe the black balls are supposed to be defenders of earth, but instead use their power to amuse themselves. i heard awhile back that a bunch of guards at some prison were putting the inmates in gladiator type fights and placing bets, maybe its something like that...
    YO

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Sakata and Sakurai will one day become future Gantzs.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

These are great theories and I can's resist the temptation to contribute. So here's mine:

Gantz balls are created from the not so distant future. They are sent here in the past to do 2 tasks: The first is that it is an "ark", with its main purpose is to save the the human race, by the process of collecting posthumous individuals by digitizing their physical bodies, memories and traits and storing them into the Gantz database. Its second task: is to delay the impending major alien attack that will or already have happened in the future, by recruiting individuals who died in the "real world" and participate in "alien hunts". Gantz is doing both of these purposes simultaneously.

The reason Why the Gantz balls doesn't give any first hand instructions to clueless new players, is because Gantz even allows players with a low-life backgrounds to participate in the game. And with that said, would you imagine teaming up with your murderer or rapist? Another reason is that knowing that a new player may also die during the the game, is that such instructions for these players will be trivial, because new people who entered the Gantz room for the first time are found out to be uncooperative due to the fact that they have recently died from an accident or commited suicide.

After all, players who died will all end up being stored in the database like most who came before, and being in the database is considered to have attained a sort of "immortality", where they will stay there until invoked by a player with a score of a 100 points. Gantz uses the 100 points rule to recycle a deceased player who is usually considered as a good fighter, to give the team a higher chance to survive. And even if an entire team in one mission dies, Gantz is assured that there will be more coming from the real world. Thus Gantz is fulfilling its second task.

But Who created the balls? It may be a group of scientists, designers and inventors who pooled their resources and adopted alien technology that even goes as far back during the UFO sightings in the late 40s, 50s and mid 60s, and who are probably known by the public but are uknown to what is really going on behind the scenes.

They form companies that hold underground projects to create weapons because THEY KNOW that an alien invasion is about to happen. These are probably the people you see on television, selling a new software or a new computer, or they are behind the companies selling gadgets like gps and cellphones, gadgets that are strikingly SIMILAR to what hunters are using. They even hold first person shooter games on the internet to train us unknowingly so that we can all have a better edge fighting against the aliens. But of course, these companies will DENY anything that is going on.

How did these scientists developed the Gantz balls? First of all, these scientists have attained alien technology that enables the aliens to journey through space to go from one star to the other, in only just a small fraction of time. This gives someone the opportunity not to age over time during the long journey through space. The scientists discovered that this is a machine that can slow down time, but further experimentation revealed that they can tweak the machine to send someone or something BACK through time.

So the first drafts of the Gantz balls are being made by scientists at the present, then designs, plans and instructions are sent back to the past to be acquired by the same scientists to develop the technology even further. Thus, the development of the Gantz balls advances every time someone from the future attempts this process by dropping new advanced plans to the past, and with this cycle, that the balls are developed at a quick pace. They did the same process in developing the hunters weapons and gadgets.

So who is Gantz? He may probably be the mind behind all this. He's an unorthodox scientist who is partly respected and yet despised by his colleagues, mainly on his amoral views of the human race and human nature. This is why he created the idea of the hunters and the games which many of his peers find distasteful. He thinks that life in the real world is cruel, so the games shouldn't be different. To him, it's paramount to save the human race from the alien invaders, than focus on the trivial pursuits of the day to day mundane lives of humans, who will end up "immortally digitized" anyway. With this kind of reasoning, that he considers himself to be misunderstood. During the final development of the balls, none of the scientists ever volunteered to be one of the ball's controller, so he volunteered so that he can "prove his theory" to everyone.

So what happens to the people who have been collected in the database? Perhaps the scientists have already found the will-be survivors of the human race a new home, a new planet, safe from the hostile aliens, or perhaps the scientists are amassing one last major army by evaluating whoever player was the best in the "games" (which is the reason for the point system). The "best player" army may either be the last trump card to take back the world from the aliens, or to give time for those who will leave this world to settle on the new one.

And lastly....

But why even children and animals get to play as well? As I have mentioned that it is an ark. Animals are secondary to be digitized but they are just as important, that is, if the mass evacuation of Earth from the aliens do happen, the animals will be a big help with the ecology for the new world. As for children, even though they are forced to be participants in the games, in the event that if they die, at least they are kept in the database and in effect, is "saved", and will serve as the new generation for humanity's continuity. Death has no meaning in the games, even though how brutal the missions would be.

There you go fellows, and as to coin a phrase from Gantz: "That's the theory anyway".
    Last edited by Bigbot; July 29, 2011 at 01:55 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Gantz forum and mh Bigbot.

Well I agree those are some pretty interesting ideas.

The reason why I think Gantz takes kids or some local tarsh into its system is probably due to the Gantz man being a dick. He just wanted to have some entertainment.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Welcome to the Gantz forum and mh Bigbot.

Well I agree those are some pretty interesting ideas.

The reason why I think Gantz takes kids or some local tarsh into its system is probably due to the Gantz man being a dick. He just wanted to have some entertainment.

Thanks for having me.

In reply to your comment, my comment to it is, "maybe", but on the other hand, he's probably just misunderstood. I looked at the manga in both positive and negative aspects of it, but I'm more leaning to the positive.

I don't blame you for having that impression about Gantz, that's also the impression I have about him the first time I read the manga. But as I continued reading it, I can only say that I think he operates the same way as a Christian God would do: as God would never interfere with humans and Free Will.

So I think the reason why Gantz doesn't interfere with the player's lives when a certain newly arrived trash comes along, is a metaphor to associate it with God: God lets evil to go rampant for a while until the "end of days" arrives.

And like God, we blame Gantz for not interfering, the same way some people in the real world think that God is not interfering with humans to make their lives a bit better, and some, blame him for even the smallest or even trivial of problems. Even blaming him that this world is his "entertainment arena."

For the record, I'm not preaching here, I'm just associating it with one religion. But the manga I think, even borrows from the various other religions, like for instance, the Buddhist belief of reincarnation and the pagan belief of invoking a hero or a demigod back to life.
    Last edited by Bigbot; July 29, 2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added info.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Well I can see where thats a real possibility and one definite way to look at the reality.

The Gantz man / controller is the one who makes up the rules during the games, pre catastrophe. So in that essence you might consider him a god, demi god or what have you. The concept of religion being introduced in someway or the other, is not new in the series.

Gantz also decided to punish Kei after the Buddha mission and also threw in the stipulation of him having at least 15 points or he will die in the dino mission as well I believe. I still think though that he was being a dick.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The Christian God does interfere though... like all the time. Even now they're still saying that miracles are happening and all that.

Christianity just seems like one big mess to me... Anyway, Gantz isn't a god.

It's just another human. Everything that Gantz does can be explained away by human behaviour. There's no need to attribute it to god or anything else. It's not even supposed to be based off of any notion of God... He throws you into a world with a set of rules, and if you want something out of it you have to earn it yourself. That's all there is.

Why are there kids and animals? Well it's interesting, that's why. It's not some 'noah's ark' bullshit.... it's not out to save humanity. The technology was put in the hands of a human and he used it to satisfy his greed. End of story.

The reasoning for this is fairly simple... if anyone set out to save humanity this is probably the most ineffective way imagineable. You want soldiers, you take soldiers and you give them the technology. You want to create some sort of ark for the new world, you don't fill up your database 90% with adult males. You certainly don't give a bunch of sociopaths 5 gantz balls with which to capture all the existing Gantz players simply to throw them into suididal situations.

I think you're looking for some bright and optimistic ending when really there isn't one. If by some bizarre twist of fate this whole thing was simply a process to ultimately save humanity they're doing it all wrong.

Lol enjoy your 'new world' with one panda, one dog, 3 women and 9000 men.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hop it dose not end with a save humanity bull crap.But I hope it is far away on the edge of some clich post-apocalopto scenario Damura.By the way dose your name mean anything?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

Nope. Made it up when I was twelve or something. Everyone I knew at the time told me it was a shitty name though I stuck with it for some reason. That's about it.

This site was probably the last one I used it for... that was in 2008 it tells me.

---

I just want a believable ending... I don't want some cheap Noah's ark/utopia plot twist at the end. The world is fucked up. I don't want to see them wipe the slate clean by just sending everyone to a new, safe world. They should be stuck with what they've got. Doesn't necessarily mean it should be a bad ending... if anyone survives this they'll just have to move on.

Everyone - we're all getting off topic somewhat now, please try to segway back to the discussion topic:
    Why were the Gantz balls created? ©~Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie; July 31, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast