Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: The DGM Hiatus Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The DGM Hiatus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    The comparisons are only that there are hiatuses. Other than that, it doesn't really fit. HxH runs in the most popular magazine, is a top title for the magazine and currently has an anime. SQ is popular, but it's still only a monthly with circulation that pales in comparison to WSJ. Berserk is in Young Animal, a much smaller magazine in a different demographic. But it's also been running for over 20 years, so it's fanbase spans generations. Add in the recent anime movie project, those two have had a spike in popularity, bolstered by other media. DGM doesn't really have that. But even so, I don't see it's audience disappearing at all.
    Yes, that's one of the reasons to pic them as example.
    We never got a chart with age range for DGM in Jump SQ. Actually i don't remember anyone posting anything about Jump SQ and age range.
    I have to aim for diversity cause we are in the dark.
    Hmmm, i think i will do a quick search, maybe there is something somewhere.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

No, i didn't find any research about age range on Jump SQ or D.gray-man after it went to Jump SQ.
    Last edited by Asclepius; May 30, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I remember, SQ's readership is somewhat older, despite it still being a shounen magazine. It's sort of reflected in some of the titles having a more mature edge to them.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

DGM is better off than D.N.Angel. The author frequently puts it on hiatus for years at a time to work on brand-new series.

Legal Drug was on hiatus for years as well, and X will probably never be taken off hiatus.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well so much for the tantrums only being on other sites.

I believe the height of DGM's popularity was probably while the anime was running, when it was next most popular after the so-called "Big Three." Fourth most popular anime in Japan. That ended with a big cliffhanger as everyone here probably knows, which upped people's appetite in the manga instead. Things may not be the same as a few years ago, but if even now, sales are still relatively strong since the anime ended (which they seem to be), I don't see anything to worry about.

Also I don't get all this doom and gloom about "artist's intentions" and "silence." It's fairly clear right now that the intent on both the publisher and mangaka's part is to continue when possible. Is it really that hard to understand writers and artists aren't sweatshop workers who have to slave through illness and injury? Like any other artist Hoshino might be able to do some light side work here and there (she may even be contractually obligated by Shueisha), but that doesn't require anywhere near the time and effort she has invested in DGM. None of it even comes close!

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fuff's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Re: The DGM Hiatus Thread

is it on hiatus this month too?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

No artist is contractually obligated to do oneshots. That isn't anything I've ever heard of. Artists make a base salary, and are then paid per page, with them earning more for color pages and any extra work they do for the tankoubons. They're also obviously paid for any licensing for their series, be it toys, other merchandise, anime, videogames, etc. I'm sure most mangaka have a bunch of ideas for series floating around in their heads. Oneshots are just another avenue to float something new out there to gauge a response. If such a contract existed, where they're required to do so many oneshots, I'd seriously doubt it'd be with someone like Hoshino, who isn't necessarily prolific. It'd be a hinderance to DGM. That's why it makes a ton more sense that she elected to design an anime, and do a oneshot. She isn't contractually obligated to do so many DGM chapters per year obviously, so why would she be obligated to do anything else of that nature?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuff View Post
    is it on hiatus this month too?
    Unknown for now. We'll find out when the TOC comes out.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Looks like it is.

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 20Tsubasa's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of surprised that I haven't been on here for 5 months and there hasn't been a chapter yet.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a couple of rumors about the reason for the author's hiatus but I think they are mostly just people trying to come up with reasons for it. Everything from she is sick...again to she is pregnant/has a baby, to she has broken (insert bone here). Who knows when the series is coming back, but I honestly wish she'd give us a explanation.
    For anime debates and more check out http://yoiinori.wordpress.com/

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

We have an official explanation: she is recovering from illness.

They're not obligated to tell us more than that unless something changes about her or the series' status.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i see
    its sad some of the best mangaka get sick so often

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

so when will it be back?

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    so when will it be back?
    Not in this issue.
    The ToC is already out. But i was expecting that, cause when DGM comes back after such a long hiatus, it will appear in the cover or the site/twitter.
    We saw the preview of the cover a few days ago. I was only waiting for the confirmation.

Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Kalyra's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting into other manga since this has been on hiatus, which are all pretty good. But I miss this manga a lot lol
    It'd be really nice to know why she is sick, it's worrying for the author and the series. It's starting to get frustrating how we aren't being told.
    Anyway I hope it comes back at least next year..

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Has it been more than a year since DGM had a hiatus?

I've been reading other manga as well, but I'm still sad that the series is still on a hiatus. I hold a soft spot for DGM, and my only wish is that Hoshino-sensei hasn't lost her drive to complete the series.

New Reply
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast