Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ~International Community Hangout~

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Adorien's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ~INTERNATIONAL RESORT HANGOUT~

Okay, thank you guys! It's cleared up a little now. And about "who" and "whom", I had an idea, because it's the same in Bulgarian and probably in other languages.
    Anyways, thanks again! And I really should start reading books in English. It's scary to me when I open a book and don't understand half of it, and then I close it. ^^'
    Last edited by Adorien; August 21, 2011 at 06:37 AM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BakaHaze's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's what happens when I open a book of chinese, it's like a whole page of squiggles and I suddenly don't feel like reading it anymore. But take it slow, word by word, then piece the whole sentence together. (With a dictionary, or someone who is fluent.)

That's how I worked on my Chinese.
    ~Haze - 羡慕嫉妒恨! ^^ ~嶺上開花!!~

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Go, go, Adorien!

Even until now, if I read a book in English, there would be tons of words I didn't understand. I would usually read the whole sentence, decide on the context of the sentence, and return to the unknown word and guess its meaning. As starter, using dictionary might be good, but it is not effective to open a dictionary every time you don't understand a word in a longer text. Guessing like that is the fastest way. Later you can check the meaning on the dictionary, whether you guess it true or not.

But the most important thing is: use your English. Talk, talk, write, write. Don't be afraid that you'll do wrong. You won't realize how quickly you'll grow; I was once through that situation. XD

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Adorien's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm thinking of bying the English versions of books I already have, that way I'll know what the story is about and it will be somehow easier. I also think that it's kinda pointless reading with a dictionary, I tried that once and I wasn't getting into the story at all. I do try to write as much as I can, but there isn't anyone I can speak to. So I can understand basic things, but I'm not good at talking. Everytime a foreigner asks me for directions, I'm really nervous and all I can do is say "err" and give some basic, not gramatically correct explanation. So if one day I live somewhere that I'll be only able to express myself in English, I think I will be better at it.
    Anyways, thanks for everything, phio-chan! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by BakaHaze View Post

Yeah that's what happens when I open a book of chinese, it's like a whole page of squiggles and I suddenly don't feel like reading it anymore. But take it slow, word by word, then piece the whole sentence together. (With a dictionary, or someone who is fluent.)

That's how I worked on my Chinese.
    Yeah, that's how I'm trying to work on my Japanese. :P Good luck with your Chinese!
    Last edited by Adorien; August 21, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ~International Community Hangout~

If anyone has missed, MH has arranged awards for Manhwa and its sub-sections. You can find the links below. There are plenty of categories to nominate your favorites. We would love to see your participation.

Manhwa Awards
    The Breaker Awards
    Noblesse Awards
    Tower of God Awards

See you there

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3