Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Questions about J-Dramas

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Questions about J-Dramas

I've some questions about live-action dramas (not really the right place to ask, but oh well...):

- Do they really have higher viewership (not sure if that's a real word) than anime. If so, how come there's so much anime?

- Are there any dramas with picture quality, cinematography comparable to US dramas? What about sitcoms?

- I've seen a little bit of a few dramas and the acting seemed a little over the top. Are all of them like this?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I actually think there are more dramas than there are anime series, though I'm not sure if that answers your first question.
    Last edited by [Cross]; May 25, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about J-Dramas

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I've some questions about live-action dramas (not really the right place to ask, but oh well...):

- Do they really have higher viewership (not sure if that's a real word) than anime. If so, how come there's so much anime?

- Are there any dramas with picture quality, cinematography comparable to US dramas? What about sitcoms?

- I've seen a little bit of a few dramas and the acting seemed a little over the top. Are all of them like this?
    1. I can't say definitely, but from what I've seen the most popular drama are more popular then the most popular anime. There has been more anime lately for a few reasons. First was the so called anime "bubble". More anime was produced then the market could bear. The other is rise of late night anime on UHF stations. Studios use late night time slots basically as infomercials for the DVD's, where most of the actual money for anime is made. Finally anime airs before school on week days and early on weekends, as well as between 6pm and 8pm everyday. For anime's three time slots, drama has one; between 8pm and midnight (could be a little off an they run a little later).

2. It depends on what your comparing it to. Compared to most sitcoms or soaps yes. Compared to some of the hour long prime time shows (Lost, 24, Prison Break, etc.) no. Over all production quality is very high, if your used to American TV you'd see no glaring problems.

3. Acting depends on the actor and the show. Some actors are simply more talented then others. Also, acting styles differ between Japan and America. By the standards of U.S. TV I've found most Japanese drama actors are pretty good.

Proofreaders 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Digital_Eon's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about J-Dramas

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Absolutely. Even the least watched drama of a given season will probably have ratings comparable to, if not higher than, popular Jump anime. It's probably because of the audience - anime seems to be for a younger audience (the readers of the magazines, it seems) while dramas are watched by a wider demographic, I think. Don't quote me on that... but dramas are very popular in Japan. The more popular ones of a season can get... 20% of available viewers (say, as an average over all ten or twelve episodes)?

(Edit: Yup, timeslots are important. Later at night = more adults able to watch.)

Quote Quote:
    Not sure about this. They're certainly filmed differently; that really stood out to me when watching Japanese dramas for the first time. They're definitely done well, though, especially in recent years (although you can also get cheesy special effects...).

Quote Quote:
    Probably depends on the drama. You'd have to mention examples, because you might either have seen ones where it's intentional (some comedies, for example), or you might just have a different opinion of what "over-the-top acting" is. I mean, I could just be used to it, so...
    Last edited by Digital_Eon; May 25, 2009 at 05:58 PM.

New Reply