Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Battle Angel Alita/GunNM

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Battle Angel Alita/GunNM

Title: Battle Angel Alita/GunNM
    Genres: Seinen/sci-fi/action/adventure/cyberpunk
    Author:Yukito Kishiro
    Artist:Yukito Kishiro
    Publication:Viz Media
    Start Date:December 1990
    End Date:April 1995
    Number of chapters at review:9 volumes
    Number of chapters read by reviewer:all of them

General Overview: Battle Angel Alita tells the story of Alita ("Gally" in the original Japanese version), an amnesiac female cyborg. This cyborg's intact head and upper torso are found in a state of suspended animation by the cybermedic expert Daisuke Ido while he is out searching for useful scrap. Amazed by his discovery, Ido quickly returns home and works to revive her. Upon finding that the girl has lost her memory, Ido names her Alita, the name of his recently deceased cat.

The rebuilt Alita soon discovers that she possesses instinctive knowledge of the legendary Martian martial art Panzer Kunst, although she has no other memories of her previous life. Alita must learn to navigate, exist, and fight in the Scrapyard, whose inhabitants themselves live in the shadow of the tantalizingly close floating city, Tiphares. Her journeys take Alita across the Scrapyard and surrounding areas, as she tries to recall more of her past.
    (From wikipedia) On a side note the original name was GunNM but it was changed to Battle Angel Alita for the english translation, hence the mian charactors name change.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art:8.5
    Clean and crisp, this manga lacks the realism of many Seinen like gantz or berserk. But it also does not have the over cartoony look of most shonen. Bottom line, the art is above average and I love the style, but it is not the greatest out there

Plot:10
    Everything flows and conects beautifully. There are no lose ends in the end ether

Characters:10
    No charactor that has an affect of the story will just disappear and be forgotten (Cough cough Gantz) names reappear or are referenced at apropriate times. Charactors also acuately display diferent sides of humanity.

Theme:9
    the themes themselves are nothing out of the ordinary, it's just the way they are handeled. They just go much deeper then they do in other mangas

Originality:8
    Not the most origanal story, but great none the less.

Overall:10
    My favorite manga I have read, and I have read a lot. Anyone who likes sci-fi should cheack this out or anyone who wants a really deep story but still likes to have a fair share of good fights.

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battle Angel Alita/GunNM

I've seen parts of the anime but I'm interested to see how much Alita or Gally develops over time. From last I've seen, she was starting to discover that she has latent battle prowess which she could use. It would be nice to see where this all ends.

Good review.

(Please read from right to left.)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The anime only covers a small part of the manga and i have not seen it myself, so I can't say how true to the story it is, but thank you for the reply

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As with anime/manga crossing, there is sure to be some definite difference. As for the comment, no problem.

(Please read from right to left.)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

About the art, I think we should take the "start date" as an argument.
    That quality 18 years ago ... even now, it's still beautiful. A 10/10 for me.

About the characters, well, the girl is a great character but I don't think so about the scientist-father (sorry, it's been a long time since I read it). But it's true that main characters are really well developped. (About Gantz, no one is forgotten, they are all going to come back at some moment ...)

For the originality, I put a 10, there isn't that many cyberpunk manga (BLAME is the only other one I can think of).

You talk about depth in the story & ... for what I remember, it's more philosophy about the characters than real depth in the scenario.
    Last edited by zelllogan; January 06, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I admit it, I rated the art by todays standerds, I love the art work but I was trying not to give everything a 10 and sound to fan boyish, like I said this is my favorite series so I had to find SOMETHING that wasn't perfect

As for Gantz, I am not all that far in it, maybe at chapter 150 or something, I enjoy the series but it's hard to read such an expliset manga when you have a kid brother around all the time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

All review are biased but series like GUNNM deserve a 10/10. I'm not a fan of that manga (I don't really like cyberpunk), but I can recognize a masterpiece when I read it. Among the old mangas, GUNNM and AKIRA are always taken as an example. There is a reason why there aren't many cyberpunk mangas today: How can you beat these two ?

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

so true, so true

New Reply