Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)

View Poll Results: Mac? Windows? Linux?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac

6 15.00%
  • Windows

29 72.50%
  • Linux

5 12.50%
New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac? Windows? Linux?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mac? Windows? Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator
    Well ..... this is an interesting thread. I guess I'll share my info as well.

I'm using something I like to call "Abnormal XP". It's a customized and tweaked Windows XP Pro. Using this it's easier to experiment with various new progs and ..... a bit of other sphere - games, as well. After all, nobody can deny that software developers favor MSft and that's why majority of games and progs are Win-addicted. XD

At the same time, I pretty much like other two OS better.
    Linux is the freeware version and that's the easiest way to screw every license checking authority. And it let's you do all the primary functions needed. (I'm talking about default setup)

Mac is my favourite. If only it wouldn't be so darn expensive, I'd have it all over the place: at home, in cottage, at work, in the university.....
    What attracts me to Macs are their performance. No other OS is able to launch every single prog available and not even blink or lag. We've done that kind of experiments in many occasions, but it has always been the same - perfect performance.
    [/rant]
    yeah. Macs on average are about 1000 dollars more than PCs. Makes me sad.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member _V0iD_'s Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luckas04
    From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.
    i agree, although the mac software is tweaked and optimised to make the most out of that hardware. I use windows xp, because everything works on it, its performance is great on my setup, WGA doesnt bother me, and, unlike linux, where you have to find alternatives to commonly used programs, which suck, or use wine, which defeats the purpose of linux, (except amaroK, if there was a windows version of amaroK, the world would be a better place)
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

PM or Email me if you're interested.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

What is amaroK?
    Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
    I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
    Does anyne use Suse?

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _V0iD_
    amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
    I have an old Athlon XP 1600 and 256 MB and friends of mine say that this configuration is ok for WinXP. I have to change SO, because a lot of programms doesn't run on Win98.
    So you think I should try Ubuntu as linux distro?

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted destinator's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows...

Gonna try linux sooner or later... =)

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help
    I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

yep, kubuntu is ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME. KDe is also resource hungry, and i dont like it much, but its personal preference really
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What is Gentoo Linux? A linux distro?
    Gentoo is a distro with a BSD-like port system and you can built it from the scratch (bootstrap). Don't try it as a Linux beginner, it's a distro for ppl who know what to do and theres no newbie support for basic problems.

Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
    I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
    Does anyne use Suse?
    That's not really true. You can built a game-optimised distro or use game emulation and there are also a bunch of cool linux games. Linux has it own Gamers Scene, just check it out. Of course, if you don't want to try other games, you should better stay with a win system.

Linux Gamers FAQ
    http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/E...rs/Videogames/
    http://www.linuxday.at/gallery/Wine-und-Emulationen
    http://www.linux-gamers.net
    http://www.linuxgames.com
    http://games.linux.sk/index.php
    http://www.google.de/linux

Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.

I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?
    Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
    Well ...... there are enought resources on your comp to install WinXP.
    I have been able to make XP run on 500Mhz Pentuim I with 64Mb RAM and 8Mb integrated video. And all the things go smoothly.

Come to think of it I once did the same thing with 266Mhz MMX Pentuim as well, but it had some problems with ability to handle large amounts of info, like the net connection and third generation game software....

But the buttomline is .... defined requirements are for those, who don't know that everything in this world is relative and can be altered.

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.
    Free Web/FTP Hosting!

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.
    Hm, i'm running my xp on a 450mhz/512mb K6-2. It's ok, but youtube videos are snatchy and rendering (Poser/Terragen) takes forever.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni
    Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.
    Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.
    Years ago I helped a friend installing linux, it was using gnome interface and its brown color really make me sad. Yesterday I checked a little Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and so probably I'll try Kubuntu for the Kde interface; I don't like the brown of Ubuntu.

New Reply
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast