Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 12 of 491 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Xophien View Post
    Come on, there's the actual word Meister in the actual chapter 02 of the actual damn thing. That doesn't make any actual sense anymore

I'm saying the guy making the website for Shueisha just misinterpreted it. End of the story >.>
    Same here. It was clearly written "Asklepios" in the manga itself.
    The web ppl probably just googled for a latin version without talking back to the mangaka >.>
    Last edited by eni; December 07, 2008 at 12:29 PM.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sexy Randal 105's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh come on. The Japanese haven't even mastered their own language. There is bound to be some confusion when there is one way to write two things that sound exactly the same.
    Click here to read my story, "Shadow Hawk."

Currently reading: Claymore, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezlebub, Akaboshi.

Listen to my podcast here.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Issue #3:

Bokke - san (cover, color), Eyeshield 21 (color)

Bottom:

Neuro
    Mago
    To Love Ru
    Asklepios
    Absent: One Piece

Issue 4 -5

One Piece (cover, color), Bleach, Bokke - san (color), Toriko (special 4 pages), Komi Naoshi (one shot).

I'm starting to worry about Mago. It's been yo - yoing a bit over the last couple of weeks. Before everyone who doesn't read it freaks out and complains that Bleach is getting color again even though it got color in issue 2, keep in mind the chapter didn't get color this week. A page of color omake (similar to V Jump Bleach) was included to promote the movie. There was no spread nor did any pages of the chapter itself have color this week.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Mago's dropping doesn't really worry me, it has a nice following and even if it only lasts.... say.... a year it'll have made it's impact as a refreshing supernatural series.

and now shameless plug

http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump/112341.html

Jump Top five begins again! Let your voice be heard.... as long as you have a livejournal account.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Akamaru Jump Previews:

Okimoto Osamu (Kochikame) One Shot:

Spoiler show

Aso Shuichi (Yushagaku) One Shot:

Spoiler show

Tanaka Yasunori (Hitomi no Catoblepas) One Shot:

Spoiler show

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Good god if Shuichi Aso's one shot isn't scanlated i'll be full of the sad :O

all three look excellent, and i'm personally amazed at how far the HnC manga-ka's art has come since that ill fated series.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Akamaru Jump Previews:

Okimoto Osamu (Kochikame) One Shot:

Spoiler show

Aso Shuichi (Yushagaku) One Shot:

Spoiler show

Tanaka Yasunori (Hitomi no Catoblepas) One Shot:

Spoiler show
    Actually I already linked to the Akamaru page earlier so it's not really that necessary outside giving us image pictures directly on this page.

Somehow with OP getting the official color page for 4/5 (it's not really getting the cover cause it's probably "all series"), I'm starting to wonder if Psyren's possible color for it's first year anniversary will come in 6/7 (just to make it easier) or if they will actually give it a cover and color page in one of the next issues!? (like Gintama's obviously going to get for it's 5th...even if it's 4th wasn't celebrated until Valentine's day last year) Heck, Psyren could even get the big color in 6/7...but Jump never really gives series still sort of new or weak the big holiday front cover so I imagine it being Naruto or...oh please don't make it Bleach again.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All the oneshots look really good. It makes me wonder if Okimoto is tired of doing Kochikame. That'd be awesome if he ended it in order to start a new series.

Currently reading: Claymore, Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezlebub, Akaboshi.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What would be awesome about the longest manga in history ending? Personally, I'd kind of like to see Kochikame keep going until Akimoto dies, just to see how far a manga can go. That would be quite an achievement.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just saying, it's something I'd continue to use when referring to the manga, since, sort of officially, it's what's being called.

If the original script handed to the editors from the author explictly said one name is to be used, I don't think the company would want to continue to call it something else, would they? It can also indicate that they wish to keep it vague, with the double-meaning/pun in the title.

The manga Cloth Road is called Cloth Road on the cover, yet they made multiple references in the manga for Crossroad (same pronunciation when converted into katakana).

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member fxu's Avatar
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the name Meister makes more sense than My Star when it comes to football, I'm talking out of my own experience here.

Meister is master in German. When translating master to Spanish or Italian it comes out to maestro, and maestro can be used as slang for somebody that really knows what they're doing, professionals. When someone can dribble the ball and do all kinds of tricks, they are often called maestro.

Maybe someone that has knowledge in Spanish dialects (although I'm sure it's the same for any spanish-speaking country) and football may understand what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by fxu; December 07, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    B I N K T O P I A

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Randal 105 View Post
    All the oneshots look really good. It makes me wonder if Okimoto is tired of doing Kochikame. That'd be awesome if he ended it in order to start a new series.
    I don't really care if KochiKame ends or not, but seeing Okimoto do something else is always interesting. Having to keep his art unified for thirty years it's nice seeing him draw in a more modern style. I'm glad to see his one shot looks like 2008 and not 1976. There are many veteran mangaka incapable of that (**Adachi, Takahashi** ).

completely missed your link Stranger and Heiji - sama posted the new bottom five. Sorry about double posting them.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 07, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder who is going to win the race for the longest manga ever: Kochikame or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. How old are both mangaka? It'd be kind of hard for Jojo now though since it's monthly and has a long way to catch up.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

JoJo is at 95 volumes and counting, but you're right, the monthly pace has certainly screwed JoJo out of its chances, though it will still be well over 100 volumes long. However, JoJo isn't in second place. There's Golgo 13 and Oishinbo (which isn't so much longer then JoJo, and would probably be about the same length if Steel Ball Run hadn't gone monthly), and those are just the ones that come to my mind. There may be a few others, but I think Kochikame has nothing close to it except for Golgo 13, which would be longer if it were published consistently, as Kochikame has been since it started. (I read somewhere that Akimoto has never taken a week off. Ever. In over 32 years.)

And to answer your actual question, JoJo's manga-ka, Hirohiko Araki, is 48. Kochikame's manga-ka, Osamu Akimoto, will turn 56 on Thursday.
    Last edited by Imitorar; December 07, 2008 at 11:15 PM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    # Serialized comic with the longest span: Sennin Buraku by Kō Kojima, serialized from 1956, still ongoing.

# Comic with the most graphic novel volumes: Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo by Osamu Akimoto, 160 volumes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...of_Japan#Manga

Quote Quote:
    Sennin Buraku (仙人部落, Sennin Buraku? , roughly Hermit Village) is a manga series by Kō Kojima which runs in the adult magazine Weekly Asahi Geinō, published by Tokuma Shoten in Japan. It is the longest running comic with only one artist, being published weekly since October 1956, and the longest-running strip ever in Japan.[2] By contrast, Golgo 13 is the longest running manga to be serialized in a dedicated manga magazine with Doraemon the second longest, and Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo (Kochi-Kame) the third longest (Asahi Geino is not a dedicated manga magazine).
    As for 'length':
    Kochikame - 161 vols
    Golgo13 - 148 vols
    Oishinbo - 102 vols

(all three ongoing)

//edit
    Oh, forgot... in terms of 'old' and 'long' (especially anime - 1980 eps as of oct 2008, longest-running animated TV series in history), a look at Sazae-san is interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazae-san

Quote Originally Posted by Finestela View Post
    I'm just saying, it's something I'd continue to use when referring to the manga, since, sort of officially, it's what's being called.

If the original script handed to the editors from the author explictly said one name is to be used, I don't think the company would want to continue to call it something else, would they? It can also indicate that they wish to keep it vague, with the double-meaning/pun in the title.

The manga Cloth Road is called Cloth Road on the cover, yet they made multiple references in the manga for Crossroad (same pronunciation when converted into katakana).
    Reminds me on the Elemental Gerade mess >.>

Hm, I see your point but since the manga isn't for an non-Japanese audience in the first place, I guess that there never was an 'original script' containing the romanisation handed to the editors in the first place. They don't care about such things if it's not a name in latin letters to begin with. Therefor I can picture easily that the people who were in charge of the website simply transcribed it on their own because nobody really cares, the Japanese audience will navigate and buy via the Kana/Kanji.

Also, English in Japan is used primary for design reasons and is rarely carefully thought over, sadly. So... hm... I think we beat a dead horse seeing that we care about stuff that the mangaka or publisher probably just chose on mere looks and I wouldn't even be surprised when they - like in your example - jump between different versions for whatever promotion reasons >.>

But, I think that what the publisher does is not always what the mangaka wants as they naturally (should) care more about their story as the company and therefor I prefer going with the author's idea (as seen within the story) until stated otherwise by the author directly - which doesn't always help looking back to Elemental Gerade again. That's why sometimes we (or better said: the English publisher and up till than the translators) need to agree on a title on our own, neither the official way nor the author's weird logic makes sense to the international audience all the time. The Cloth Road/Crossroad is a good example. It's maybe the same reading for the Japanese but for the English audience it's just idiotic to keep up with a clearly wrong (or English pun gone too weird) term >.>
    Last edited by eni; December 07, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Thread Closed
Page 12 of 491 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast