Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Gantz: human or A.I.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz: human or A.I.

im sure its a bit of both. I think theres a little room with a cubicle in every city and some random person is payed to sit there and watch each mission through a monitor(probably thinking theyre watching a game show or something) and give feedback to everyone and draw a little scetch for each person, this then gets sent somewhere to get filtered to make it sound like gantz. example: Kato is always getting hurt. Gantz filter: Goddamn it Kato why you always dying lol.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz: human or A.I.

Gantz is a computer operating system controlled by humans.
    So, I'll go with the closest answer, which is = A.I.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The Gantzman does sort of seem barely human.... I think if he ever was born a human something must have happened to him to make him ready to control the sphere. Some sort of crazy science experiment that dulls your emotions and also makes you go bald (not necessarily a bad thing. If you're going to run around naked for the rest of your life, baldness suits you. Just imagine the Gantzman with hair... weird).

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Otters11's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz is too funny to be heavily A.I. It's like the minds of the people in them having been living on the streets for too long, before being turning into naked space monkeys.

They was one character whose main purpose was she was a hot actress/model.
    Gantz called her Titz or some such, and I just loved the damn nicknames.
    Gantz = Dyslexic, Drunk, Stephen Hawkings typing with a m0nkey in his lap. Bad keyz.
    Plus that who Dog or panda joke, I loved that too. And the Dog's and Panda knew they were being mocked?

HATED, the Damn bird robot thing with the granny and the kid. I wanted to cry. Still it's interesting cause the serious doesn't let you sit without considering what you are reading. Are you going to accept this? This is a story, this is the turn, will you follow a story for the sake of a story? I'm not sure I approve of decisions, Maybe they are being radical/ridiculous/extreme at times because controversy gets more discussion or attention?

Damn, I miss the Lara Croft/Angelina Jolie look alike. She was the only one who was like, Wow. Yes. Damn Monkey shrine. Buddha etc. Die for you? Gun's and Roses. That whole massacre was painful. I've read real war history books that were less painful to read.
    Last edited by Otters11; July 14, 2011 at 04:10 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

What do you think is too "radical/ridiculous/extreme" in terms of being controversial?

I think it was Kishimoto that Gantz kept calling Titz or Big Titz or whatever other variation. My favorite part was the little comments he made if a character scored 0 points by the end of the mission.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asahina View Post
    Gantz is a computer operating system controlled by humans.
    So, I'll go with the closest answer, which is = A.I.
    this is a simple and true

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Otters11's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    ^

What do you think is too "radical/ridiculous/extreme" in terms of being controversial?

I think it was Kishimoto that Gantz kept calling Titz or Big Titz or whatever other variation. My favorite part was the little comments he made if a character scored 0 points by the end of the mission.
    There is a lot. But the nakedness was at times a little much. We know they are naked. Do we have to see full height/frontal framing that much? You can argue, that well you really don't understand it if you don't have to experience the same struggle as the characters who are psychologically faced with this unblinking reality either? ...Bu do I want to see this? Not really. But I do want to read the story and see what becomes of each detail. Even if it is a detail I don't enjoy.

~ Like that Buddha shrine. Man that pisses me off! It's the only one where I can feel like "here read this" and still convey the range of emotion and struggle the series explores without feeling they went too far. (At least I think. I was so pissed or depressed, I haven't re-read it. Since reading it again after the series finished that arc.) My God, reading it, taking it in, all at once....it's psychotic. = It goes from alien "confusion" to a self adsorbed bad ass where everyone is interesting TOO! ...to please no more emotional suffering of loss... My gut can't take it anymore. If you could vomit from sadness I might at this point. But it is an empty pitted sensation. Or is it a stagnant /fish tank airless sensation? Emotionally like the dry heaves from running too far, too hard, without water or moist food and you have to stop cause your body is overpowering your will to continue with every thought.)
    Last edited by Otters11; July 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The suffering/deaths (especially towards the beginning) were why I liked the manga a lot. It was different to most of the others I'd read, and more importantly I thought it handled it pretty well for what it was. A lot of the nudity and stuff was over the top. Kishimoto made no sense as a character. Over time it got better at handling sex/nudity and they toned down a little on the main character deaths, though we've still had a few major ones. Character deaths are supposed to be emotional. The only one that I thought was absolute bullshit at this point was Katou's death. That was cheap. (Okay also Kishimoto's and Anzu's, but they both had it coming in some shape or form anyway!).

Still, I never got as emotional about it as you did. I tend to enjoy things with dark atmospheres, in some strange way. That 'empty' sensation if we're talking about the same thing is compelling to me.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ownage404's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn Damura you sound pretty cold lol.

But I do agree with the character deaths, they made Gantz stand a lot because i've never seen that much people die in a series before. I would like for that to come back but at this point in the manga, I think i'm too attached to the characters right now and would be really sad if they died because they have good morals in needing to stay alive.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ownage404 View Post
    But I do agree with the character deaths, they made Gantz stand a lot because i've never seen that much people die in a series before. I would like for that to come back but at this point in the manga, I think i'm too attached to the characters right now and would be really sad if they died because they have good morals in needing to stay alive.
    I think the deaths only work because the characters are so likeable. Cheap deaths in manga are fairly common. For example... when obvious fodder characters die it's hard to really care. Oku sort of fell into this in part 2. He kept introducing a bunch of people only for them to die off fairly quickly as soon as the mission starts. I think he's redeemed himself a bit during Katastrophe. For example most of Tae's companions have been pretty interesting, and their deaths were pretty unexpected. Honestly, every time Tae meets someone new I expect them to become a recurring character...

There's heaps of characters that I'd like to see brought back to life. I don't really want any of the surviving characters to die either, since I think that most of them have something to offer.. on the other hand if there aren't any casualties Katastrophe is just going to be one big anti-climax.

I'm liking where the story is going atm. And it looks like Oku is toying a little bit more with consequences that are possibly worse than death. Cherry's a good indication...

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^I definitely agree. The deaths worked because the characters were popular to a certain degree.

Regarding Gantz's nature, I was wondering if it's possible that it's alien technology stolen (& then mass-produced) by humans at some point.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

New Reply