Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning tutorial for the laziest - 2 minutes / page

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member unok-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuts Cleaning tutorial for the laziest - 2 minutes / page

Do you want to clean mangas, but you're just too lazy to do all that stuff? With this method, you'll get a MQ in around 2 minutes, which can be improved to a MQ/HQ if you rotate, crop and redo the borders.

I've made an action set (well, in fact a single action) which will do most of the work for you. This action set isn't indispensable for the cleaning, but it'll make it faster and better. You can download it from Sendspace (I'll later provide more mirrors). You'll have to save the file on the folder C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Presets/Actions (replacing "CS3" for your version number, of course).

Once the raw is opened, you could start cleaning, but it's always better to do a few things before. The first one is increasing the size of the raw to 2000px height (that's always better than working with the actual size).

Now, let's check if there's any non-bubble text on the page. If there is any, it's better to redraw it now (it'll look better than if you do it after the cleaning). Also, if you want, you can follow these tutorials for rotating, cropping and redoing borders.

Now let's start the cleaning. You can either start the action "cleaning" in the action set "cleaning" (which will do everything automatically) or do it step by step:
    • Level the whites (right) to 190.
    • Now level again, this time the blacks (left) to 64.
    • Level again the greys (middle) to 0,4.
    • Level one more time the whites (right) to 190.
    • Go Filter/Stylize/Diffuse and select anisotropic.
    • Duplicate the current layer.
    • Go Filter/Noise/Reduce Noise and set it to 10, 0, 0, 25.
    • Level the whites (right) to 190.
    • And finally, level the greys (middle) to 0,4.

Once done all this, you'll have two layers. In the top layer, you'll have the whites and the blacks denoised, but the greys will be either too dark or too bright. And in the bottom layer, you'll have the greys right, but the blacks and whites will be noised. What you have to do is just erasing the greys from the top layer.

Now, if you want, you can resize the page again. The usual is 1200px height.

Here you can see how's the page before and after the cleaning (I've used the raw for Buster Keel 3, but it'll work on any raw you use):
    Spoiler show

The text will get blurry, but don't worry about it because you're gonna remove it later for the scanlation, so why care?

Well, I hope you like this tutorial and this form of easy cleaning.

Thanks a lot to Darkangel for teaching me to clean. Without him, I'd be still trying to redraw all the grays
    Last edited by unok-kun; December 26, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Also working on another project that you might get to see in January...

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Artists of MH 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member and_123's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning tutorial for the laziest - 2 minutes / page

gracias por tu ayuda esto me sirve

Intl Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lsshin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

nice, altoutgh i have another method, faster and wasier, i will soon do a tutorial but im to lazy for it XD, thanks do

What the devil is soccer? Did you mean sucker? God I am a sucker coach then? Is football my friends and that game where people use their heads to hit other people is not worthy of being called football, call it tackle ball, and respect football the way the rest of the world does.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Obxist's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

you still have to redraw the grays if you want to achive high quality (most likely its not a gray , rather its a tone)...
    and also, you need to reconfigure the level base on the raw and the manga ...
    good tech for speed scan
    Lifeless

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Esc.'s Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tutorial for speed scan. MQ is pretty much pushing it. Like you said though, if you redo borders and everything it'll get there.

I suggest not adding the leveling in with the action and do it manually, normally takes 15 seconds anyway. Leveling definitely varies from scan to scan.

Also, as Obxist mentioned. A nice HQ would have to have redrawn grays. (most likely patterns or grains) Pretty easy to add all of that in there. Wouldn't take more than 45-60 min for a page. But I guess if you're gonna do all that than why call this the tutorial for the laziest, right? lol

Once again, great time saver, especially if you have more than one project.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hash899's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

thats really helpful. thank u so much for this ^.^

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Showbiz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

May I ask why a person needs to make the raw image much bigger? Is it easier for cleaning, etc? Also, how do you use the preset?

Sincerely,
    Showbiz
    Last edited by Showbiz; March 09, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hash899's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post
    May I ask why a person needs to make the raw image much bigger? Is it easier for cleaning, etc? Also, how do you use the preset?

Sincerely,
    Showbiz
    yeah its much easier to clean and when u resize it back it looks good too.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously helpful. And time saving! Thanks.

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post

Sincerely,
    Showbiz
    With other cleaning methods, it's better to have a big raw for the grain on the greys, and also for blacks if you burn them (burning, especially when you have lots of specks in the blacks, gets the borders of the black zones a bit pixeled, but when resizing back you won't notice because of the interpolation).

However, with this method, greys look quite water-like, so that's why I make the raw big, to reduce that effect.

By the way, in pages with lots of greys, that effect might still be there, although the raw is big. In that cases, I'd recommend using a Surface Blur (Filters / Blur / Surface Blur) at 27 27 right after the diffuse filter. It'll look way better.
    Last edited by unok-kun; March 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hanamaru's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

owww...
    thanx for tutorial, i want to practicing it. dunno how it come soon...
    hehehehe

Please Peace And Respect Brooo !!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner luisalirio84's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Butchery! My goodness... the butchery. No wonder so many scans these days look like this >_>

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ikcud's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

gotta love it.
    ryColaa Editor - Wild ☆ Pitch, P2 - Let’s Play Ping Pong
    Kono-Basho Editor

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unokpasabaxaki View Post
    The text will get blurry, but don't worry about it because you're gonna remove it later for the scanlation, so why care?
    Ehm, when the text gets blurry, the lineart and screentones naturally do the same and thus can't be removed later because it's... well... the artwork.

What this quick cleaning tutorial does is producing a 'watercolor effect' which certainly looks adorable when used on one's own artwork but it kinda destroys the original art of the manga artist. The picture becomes way to smooth and loses a lot of details. Using such an effect on manga art, which is usually drawn with fine ink pens to obtain sharp lines, is really problematic.

It will let a raw look a lot prettier as the other 'speed method' (overleveling to the core) but it's just as much affecting the original artwork. I've seen some scans uploaded lately, and that's why I post here, which were so extremely watery looking that you have trouble to differ characters from the background.

In any case, this method results in LQ quality (max) due to the unavoidable detail loss regardless of how clean it may look. But it's best to not use this kind of blurr/filter/level tactic at all.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni View Post
    Ehm, when the text gets blurry, the lineart and screentones naturally do the same and thus can't be removed later because it's... well... the artwork.

What this quick cleaning tutorial does is producing a 'watercolor effect' which certainly looks adorable when used on one's own artwork but it kinda destroys the original art of the manga artist. The picture becomes way to smooth and loses a lot of details. Using such an effect on manga art, which is usually drawn with fine ink pens to obtain sharp lines, is really problematic.

It will let a raw look a lot prettier as the other 'speed method' (overleveling to the core) but it's just as much affecting the original artwork. I've seen some scans uploaded lately, and that's why I post here, which were so extremely watery looking that you have trouble to differ characters from the background.

In any case, this method results in LQ quality (max) due to the unavoidable detail loss regardless of how clean it may look. But it's best to not use this kind of blurr/filter/level tactic at all.
    Well, this is the first cleaning method I ever used... I've improved a lot since then... although still not enough... Now I gotta try to get the artwork not destroyed... But still don't know how.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast