Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sarry's Chapter 87 review

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Baron Hugenstein's Avatar
    Depends...which planet are we talking about?
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarry's Chapter 87 review

Hi All

I am sorry for not making any review for the previous chapter; I was bombarded with exams and assignments. Well, my last review had a lot of humour and sarcasm in it; however, I will be trying a new way of writing.

Well, now let’s get to business, Shall we?

Thanks to digitalpanic and wany1981 for their efforts on translating the Chinese version of the chapter. This review is based on the Chinese raw

Chapter 87: Return of the Exterminators

The Demons

*sniff* do you smell cookies?

The chapter begins with the introduction of last chapter’s mystery guest, the “demon” that Dietrich was hiding from; it turns out that the demon was actually a large claymore-looking being; however it differs from a normal claymore by having larger bodies and stitched mouths and eyes. To add to the surprise, the demons seem to move in groups, destroying villages where ever they go; as well, they seem to be somewhat powerful as they even strike fear in the organization’s number eight. Another thing to note about these demons is that they seem to detect motion and utilize their noses rather than hear or perhaps sense the energy of their prey, most likely due to increased perceptions and senses.

The demons appearances resemble early failed experiments rather than conventional demons that might resemble awakened forms. All of the demons are larger than the average claymore could indicate that they were a special program designed to produce more efficient warriors. A derived thought from this hypothesis is that they might be able to regenerate effectively, as the organization must have tried to kill them before.

The first stage of the battle

Then the chapter progresses with the battle between Isley and Helen and Devene, and we learn another aspect of Isley’s power. He is initially a defensive type, as he increases in strength and power every time he is struck by an opponent. This adds to awesomeness, which was great before.

Initiation of Stage two of the battle

Let's dance!

Later on, Devene joins Helen in the fight, since it is clear that Helen alone can’t win against an abysmal one.

But the interesting thing that is happening in this chapter is that the Isley that is fighting is totally different than the Isley who fought Luciela long ago; One reason is that he might have met or seen something that disoriented him greatly or another hypothesis that can be easily made is that he lost his memory in some battle or accident, similar to what happened to Priscilla.

Preparation for Stage two is complete

Time's up, Rules change

Last but not least, while the battle between Helen, Devene and Isley began to get more heated and interesting, the demons are entering the same village, and they seem very eager and enthusiastic to join in the battle. Perhaps the Demons will pose a threat that will force the three combatants to join together, for a while at least or Isley will be forced to go full out and destroy the whole area along with the demons and the two claymores. But definitely, this will prove to be an epic battle.

This chapter felt shorter than the previous one; I believe it is because it is a prelude chapter preparing for something of great proportion to come. But nonetheless, the rating of this chapter is 9 out of 10, mainly because it is simply a prelude chapter, only promising a great battle. I predict that we see the official beginning of the three-way fight, as well as we will see some development from either Miria or Claire.

And Of course, Comments and critics are always welcome
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; January 05, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sarry's Chapter 87 review

Sigh, I'm still waiting for Onemanga to get the chapter up. I gotta admit Isley's regeneration surprised me. I always figured with the weapons, and the fact he didn't seem to regenerate in his Priscilla fight that he must be an offensive type. Though it might be easier for him to regenerate in his human form. With Helen and Deneve releasing youki, we'll also get to see some of the ghosts fight at full strength for the first time after the time skip.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, I couldn't wait for Onemanga to get the chapter up.

I believe it wasn't that Isley couldn't regenerate in his fight against Priscilla, he could have done that(based on the current chapter), Priscilla was much stronger than him, and he knew that, so a prolonged battle would have been useless and perhaps damaging for Isley. So he avoided unnecessary battle, and went with the smart choice that he did.
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; January 04, 2009 at 08:50 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My first reaction on seeing the demons was "Experimented on Claymores". I then discarded this hypothesis after noticing that there is no disfigurement of their stomach area. I also noticed that the armor isn't quite the same as claymore armor. It seems to bear more resemblance to the armor worn by the Organization's handlers. Especially the headgear on some of them. Ordinary claymores don't seem to wear head armor. You don't suppose they are the female version of the handlers do you? (LOL! Their wives!) Naaaa.

I think they were ordinary human women that were experimented on rather than claymores. Maybe the organization tried to use Dragon flesh in the same way they use Yoma flesh and it didn't work out... Unfortunately, they didn't simply die and the south lands are their grocery basket.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, If they were the Handlers' wives, i feel really really sad for the Handlers

Well, the most simple explanation is that they that some kind of experiment products done by the organization, a newer method to make even more powerful weapons; but another hypothesis is the dragon side found out about the island, and that they need to disturb the experiments, so they have sent they demons to do something that would require a number of important manpower.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarry View Post
    He is initially a defensive type, as he increases in strength and power every time he is struck by an opponent. This adds to awesomeness, which was great before.
    That seems rather unfounded to me. I don't think any of the male generation would have been defensive types. I think he's just trying to imitate Priscilla's technique.

But the interesting thing that is happening in this chapter is that the Isley that is fighting is totally different than the Isley who fought Luciela long ago; One reason is that he might have met or seen something that disoriented him greatly or another hypothesis that can be easily made is that he lost his memory in some battle or accident, similar to what happened to Priscilla.
    Lost his memory? Oi, that sounds ridiculous. If we're to go with your earlier statement that he's building up his strength and certain comments made earlier that he might be aware of the demons, he's letting Helen kick his ass so he'll be more powerful when the demons join the fight. Of course, this would mean that even Isley, though he is clearly smart enough to prepare for the demons, is somewhat afraid of their power and is forced to use desperate measures.

With regards to these new beings, I'm also going with failed experiments. I originally would have said that they were the sources of the yoma genes that the claymores are imbued with, but the opening comment by Yagi precludes this. They reek of early attempts at making a Miata and their looks are way too similar to the claymores.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    That seems rather unfounded to me. I don't think any of the male generation would have been defensive types. I think he's just trying to imitate Priscilla's technique.
    I thought that all male claymore weren't defensive also. But considering that he gains strength each time an enemy strikes him; this ability is ideal for warriors that are defensive at the beginning of battle: they either block hits or get struck then when the time is right, they attack. And Isley doesn't strike me as the battle-loving person, but the smart type.
    Quote Quote:
    Lost his memory? Oi, that sounds ridiculous. If we're to go with your earlier statement that he's building up his strength and certain comments made earlier that he might be aware of the demons,he's letting Helen kick his ass so he'll be more powerful when the demons join the fight. Of course, this would mean that even Isley, though he is clearly smart enough to prepare for the demons, is somewhat afraid of their power and is forced to use desperate measures.
    That might explain why he is walking alone in a middle of town, but I doubt that he was waiting for someone with some decent power and enough courage to simply find him walking around and fight him. It seems like a shallow plan or like a last-resort plan. To add to that, we don't know if he, or Helen and Devene for that matter, can feel the demons' presence, as Deitrich only hid when the demons were very close to her.

Also, Memory loss is a possibility, considering that he isn't behaving the same way he behaved earlier in the Manga and simply wondering around.

Also, It is true that Isley might become more powerful after his fight with Helen, but he would also be tired and would have lost some of his energy, and Helen isn't weak nor Devene.
    So if his plan was indeed to get stronger, it comes at a price of losing some of his energy and also getting bad and big injuries, which doesn't help in a fight.

Quote Quote:
    With regards to these new beings, I'm also going with failed experiments. I originally would have said that they were the sources of the yoma genes that the claymores are imbued with, but the opening comment by Yagi precludes this. They reek of early attempts at making a Miata and their looks are way too similar to the claymores.
    Agreed
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; January 05, 2009 at 12:17 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member silveril's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

i wonder if they are not stitched up warriors of the north war? :O

please visit ma dA : http://silveril.deviantart.com/ m(_ _)m

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering their heights and their faces, I don't think that they warriors from the north that were stitched up.

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that all male claymore weren't defensive also. But considering that he gains strength each time an enemy strikes him; this ability is ideal for warriors that are defensive at the beginning of battle: they either block hits or get struck then when the time is right, they attack. And Isley doesn't strike me as the battle-loving person, but the smart type.

I'm wondering about this a little too. I remember back to the aftermath of Lucelia and Isley's fight. Luclelia was forced to revert to her human form because she was out of Yoki, and couldn't hold her awakened form. That's also why the backbreaker bearhug killed her. Well sorta. To me the fight with Isley in this chapter looks like her is trying to finish it with the minimum amount of his power he needs. He's getting more and more frustrated because it's expending more of his strength. I also think it's easier for him to regenerate in his human form. It's much much smaller than his awakened form, and probably requires less of his energy reserves. I'm thinking that originally Isley was an expert at manipulating his body, sorta like Helen and her stretchy arms. This has been amplified by his awaneing.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Angillis View Post
    I'm wondering about this a little too. I remember back to the aftermath of Lucelia and Isley's fight. Luclelia was forced to revert to her human form because she was out of Yoki, and couldn't hold her awakened form. That's also why the backbreaker bearhug killed her. Well sorta. To me the fight with Isley in this chapter looks like her is trying to finish it with the minimum amount of his power he needs. He's getting more and more frustrated because it's expending more of his strength. I also think it's easier for him to regenerate in his human form. It's much much smaller than his awakened form, and probably requires less of his energy reserves. I'm thinking that originally Isley was an expert at manipulating his body, sorta like Helen and her stretchy arms. This has been amplified by his awaneing.
    It makes sense if that was the case; Even though they are the among the strongest of awakened being, they still have a finite amount of Yoki, no matter how freakishly big it is. So even if he is fighting two weaker ex-claymores, he still can't mess around too much.

I am starting to think that he will play an important role soon, perhaps later in this arc or the next one.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It might piss off some of the 7 ghosts if they had to work together with Isley. He is after all, one of their main targets.

I've been thinking about the demons and a few thoughts occured:
    1. They only seem to respond to smell and maybe sounds.

2. They didn't seem to be interested in Dietrich but are interested in something in the town.

3. Things in the town that might be attracting them:
    1. Yoki being used
    2. Awakend Yoki
    3. Over limit Claymore yoki (possibly same thing as #2??)
    4. Aggressive behavior
    5. Humans
    6. They want MEN! (zombies want a good time too)
    7. Livestock for food
    8. Grain (they are vegetarians)
    4. Their mouths are sewn shut too so I guess they eat with a straw... Hey maybe they are Vampire Zombie Claymore Stippers
    Last edited by Wowzers; January 05, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

By awakened yoki, I can only imagine you mean Isley. Given his uncharacteristic behavior, it's definitely possible that he's being hunted by these things. After all, they are called "the exterminators" and are reminiscent of Miata. They might be a special, albeit limited, task force that the organization keeps in its reserves/developed as a response to Isley's aggression (the organization obviously can't use Alicia and Beth in public). Since normal claymores can't really detect the abyssal ones because the latter are so good at hiding their yoki, these guys obviously have the "sixth sense" that was brought up with Miata.

P.S. Why doesn't our forum have a moderator?
    Last edited by kaliayev; January 05, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Sportgal1's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@ kaliayev

i don't think that the org has any reason not to send alicia and beth anymore. While they wante to keep up appearances, there's nothing the people can do. the only reason is because they might lose control, but we've had no confirmation they've become unstable. they could be on the mainland for all that we know. audrey admitted that they were 'completed', so there as good as they're going to get.

dietrich shouldn't be scared of them if they're part of the org. i think the org is letting the 'demons' march closer in hopes that it'll help stop Isley. Helen and Deneve are actually doing fairly well. It looks like Isley doesn't want to change into his AO form, so they might have a chance to get away in the following carnage. Too bad this chapter was so short.

@ Wowzers

about number 8... awakeneds manage to eat guts and a lot of them have their mouths sewn shut. I think that as long as there is some space in there mouths they can eat. I have no clue why they're attacking the villages or why right now, but those were all good ideas.

I also looked into the forums leaders thread, and officially the only mod i can find is luckas, but i've never seen him here. Must be because we behave so well !

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzers View Post
    It might piss off some of the 7 ghosts if they had to work together with Isley. He is after all, one of their main targets.

I've been thinking about the demons and a few thoughts occured:
    1. They only seem to respond to smell and maybe sounds.

2. They didn't seem to be interested in Dietrich but are interested in something in the town.

3. Things in the town that might be attracting them:
    1. Yoki being used
    2. Awakend Yoki
    3. Over limit Claymore yoki (possibly same thing as #2??)
    4. Aggressive behavior
    5. Humans
    6. They want MEN! (zombies want a good time too)
    7. Livestock for food
    8. Grain (they are vegetarians)
    The way I interpreted it was that the Demons were attracted by movement mainly, then by smell; that is why the demon started sniffing Dietrich when she was very close.

Quote Quote:
    4. Their mouths are sewn shut too so I guess they eat with a straw... Hey maybe they are Vampire Zombie Claymore Stippers
    Lol, I wonder if they turn into werewolves when there is a full moon
    Last edited by Baron Hugenstein; January 06, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast