Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHAT HAS VIZ DONE!?!?!

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WHAT HAS VIZ DONE!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by eni
    Buuuuut the german BotI manga has this symbol edited through the WHOLE manga - from a manji to a cross.

See original:
    Spoiler show

and german version:
    Spoiler show

//edit
    correct wormy, the buddist one is mirrored compared to the european one
    Just a little off topic comment here, but I have to say I don't blame these German publishers. Of all the places in the world, that's where the swastika imagery has hurt the most, I think.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member white silver's Avatar
    In an island at the center of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasskatana
    As for Kunai jutsu, you should mention the manga you're talking about before you talk about the Viz censorship. This thread is primarily for censorship or mistakes that have occurred in the FMA manga (thus why it is in the FMA section) but it's perfectly fine if you want to mention other manga as long as you try and relate it to the original post. Great.
    [b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Don't worry about it. I thought you were refering to all of Viz Manga, and I just assumed you put it in the FMA thread which where you have power over it (locking the thread for instance). But I will give the "manga's title" next time I make a comparison.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Just a little off topic comment here, but I have to say I don't blame these German publishers. Of all the places in the world, that's where the swastika imagery has hurt the most, I think.
    Agreed. In fact, I was almost sure that at one time (it might still be, someone from Germany will have to confirm this) that it was actually illegal to show the swastika in Germany in movies or in banners or anything.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. In fact, I was almost sure that at one time (it might still be, someone from Germany will have to confirm this) that it was actually illegal to show the swastika in Germany in movies or in banners or anything.
    That is not correct. It's forbidden to use it unconstitutionally, but it is allowed to show this symbol for religious reasons (buddhistic!), in the science world and for education.

I am from Germany and I do blame them for it! This is NOT the German NS-Hakenkreuz - it's the japanese Manji and people won't change their mind without enlightenment. So many people in Germany don't know about the old meaning of this symbol or don't know about it's use in other cultures. They are afraid of it and that is the reason because it is wrong to hide these symbol - it's a fallback and a kind of present for the neo-nazis ("here take the symbol, take it").
    The sunwheel wasn't a negative symbol before and it's damn wrong to let the nazis use it in such a meaning any longer. If more people would know about it, more people would laugh about the jerks who misuse it for idiotic politicial reasons.

The publishing company was just afraid of "possible" negative reactions (they said it so). But I think it's ignorant to edit a common japanese symbol (my, how many photos of temple with this symbol have I seen ...). Stupid actions like this it will just cause culturel missunderstandings. Of course the manga would have been provocative, but that's the best way to change the people heart and mind.

Offtopic end.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ayah

About the silver to gold mistranslation, I wonder if kanji was used to write silver in the original. If I am not mistaken, the kanji for gold and silver are very similar.
    Thought I might be able to clear this up. The kanji for Gold (金) is prounounced "kin", and the kanji for silver (銀) is prounounced "gin". If you can read Japanese, or Chinese for that matter, this is a really big difference. I'm not sure how they got it wrong. I own 鋼の錬金術市 in Japanese entirely and it says 銀 and not 金.

Hope this helps ^^ ~太公望
    太公望(Taikoubou)<br />“掴んだはずの僕の未来は「尊厳」と「自由」で矛盾してるよ” ~ “Rewrite” Asian Kung-Fu Generation<br />FFXI: Siren Server:&nbsp; Taikoubou 75BRD/WHM and Evva: 36DRG/RDM<br />http://denkihitsuji.deviantart.com

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Ayah's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Taikoubou (the Hoshin Engi character?). Finally seeing the kanji for those 2 elements, it's easy to tell that they look different. So it was only in pronunciation Now that change is weird. The only thing I could come up as to how they mistranslated silver to gold is due to carelessness - when the translator/s associate alchemists to gold too much, they might have typed gold instead of silver. Actually, there's another I thought up but it's too silly

<3 glasskatana for the sig
    Tayo na sa Sineskwela Pinoy Hangout Thread v.16!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Taikoubou (the Hoshin Engi character?). Finally seeing the kanji for those 2 elements, it's easy to tell that they look different. So it was only in pronunciation Now that change is weird. The only thing I could come up as to how they mistranslated silver to gold is due to carelessness - when the translator/s associate alchemists to gold too much, they might have typed gold instead of silver. Actually, there's another I thought up but it's too silly
    Nothing is too silly for mangahelpers Ayah.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Ayah's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is too silly for mangahelpers Ayah.
    Alright then, I wonder what kind of translator would ask someone else to read FMA aloud in Japanese while translating then mishears gin as kin (translator/transcriber)? It also takes bad eyesight to misread the kanji. So that's two thoughts

<3 glasskatana for the sig
    Tayo na sa Sineskwela Pinoy Hangout Thread v.16!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Taikoubou (the Hoshin Engi character?). Finally seeing the kanji for those 2 elements, it's easy to tell that they look different. So it was only in pronunciation Now that change is weird. The only thing I could come up as to how they mistranslated silver to gold is due to carelessness - when the translator/s associate alchemists to gold too much, they might have typed gold instead of silver.
    ^^;; Actually, the name Taikoubou (太公望) is originally from 封神演義 (Fengshen Yanyi), which is a Chinese folk legend, but I love 仙界伝 封神演義 (Senkaiden Houshin Engi) as well. Been a long time since someone caught the reference&#160; ◟ ( ^∀^ ) ◞

I think you’re probably correct about them just associating alchemy with gold, but it is a rather bizarre mistake to make when it is your job to translate manga. That watch becomes a powerful symbol in both the Manga, Anime, Audio Comics, and in the Image Songs. Winry has one that is simply called: 銀時計 (Silver Watch). I can see pronunciation errors early on in a series (Some fan subs a friend of mine showed me were spelling Gluttony’s name “Blatany” for a few episodes), but not when it is spelled out in front of you. It’s not like they wrote “Silver” in Katana and then the translators had to try to sound it out >.<
    太公望(Taikoubou)<br />“掴んだはずの僕の未来は「尊厳」と「自由」で矛盾してるよ” ~ “Rewrite” Asian Kung-Fu Generation<br />FFXI: Siren Server:&nbsp; Taikoubou 75BRD/WHM and Evva: 36DRG/RDM<br />http://denkihitsuji.deviantart.com

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a step in the process of the actual translation that you guys need to take into consideration. I'm almost absolutely certain the translator put it as a silver watch. No translator is going to mess something like that up. But there's another few steps in between the translation and the final draft. Proofreaders have to look at it, and then there are people that tighten up the script and "Americanize" it in places where things would probably make more sense to an English speaking audience with no foreknowledge of anything Japanese, (or any other culture for that matter).

We associate alchemy with gold, and that (as has been mentioned above), is most likely where the translation got changed. Don't blame innocent translators, blame the companies themselves.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    There's a step in the process of the actual translation that you guys need to take into consideration. I'm almost absolutely certain the translator put it as a silver watch. No translator is going to mess something like that up. But there's another few steps in between the translation and the final draft. Proofreaders have to look at it, and then there are people that tighten up the script and "Americanize" it in places where things would probably make more sense to an English speaking audience with no foreknowledge of anything Japanese, (or any other culture for that matter).

We associate alchemy with gold, and that (as has been mentioned above), is most likely where the translation got changed. Don't blame innocent translators, blame the companies themselves.
    I cannot understand how a proof reader would go and change a sentece that makes perfect sense intranslation origionally though. The sentence is very simple that it appears in. Also, why would a proofreader change a noun that has a perfectly reasonable translation? It may be a proof reader mistake that it got published that way, but I think it is more because the transcript appeared on their desk with gold on it from the translators and they didn't check to see if it was right before it got sent to the printers.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I still agree with zindryr that that's probably what exactly happened... Currently these days they're altering Neji's 'swatiska' symbol to that of a 'X' sign, so why would translations be safe? They're probably doing it exactly to Americanize the stories. But I agree, they're making a boneheaded move.

Btw, Taikoubou, nice to have you here. Hope you'll stay around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Btw, Taikoubou, nice to have you here. Hope you'll stay around.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I recently returned to America after having lived in Japan and I have lost my connection to Japanese book stores to buy Hagaren in, so I was looking around online and everyone here seemed to active and willing to discuss that I could not resist joining in ^^

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taikoubou
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I recently returned to America after having lived in Japan and I have lost my connection to Japanese book stores to buy Hagaren in, so I was looking around online and everyone here seemed to active and willing to discuss that I could not resist joining in ^^
    That story warms my heart. It's good to know that people who were searching for FMA decided to join us. FMA FTW creaming.

I hope you contribute to all the threads.

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taikoubou
    I cannot understand how a proof reader would go and change a sentece that makes perfect sense intranslation origionally though. The sentence is very simple that it appears in. Also, why would a proofreader change a noun that has a perfectly reasonable translation?
    Like I was saying, (and has been posted somewhat above), proofreaders are not just looking for grammatical errors, per se. That is part of their job, yes, but not the whole thing. Proofreaders also look at scripts to better bring them to the audience they are targetting. In this case, Americans.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast