Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner fearme,I'mafangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in my own fantasy world
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    No Trust Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Fangirls get a bad rep whenever yaoi is brought up to anyone who isn't a female that enjoys it, regardless of how said person views yaoi.

    When someone says "fangirl" in relation to anime/manga, most automatically assume 'oh, a yaoi fan.' I can't stand this very wide-spread stereotyping of female fandom.

    Originally I refused to even look at anything related to slash just on principle, and while I have been partially converted via fanfiction, it still gets under my skin that this happens.

    Your thoughts on the issue?
    If, no WHEN, you watch Yu Yu Hakusho, watch the unedited dub version; the edited dub is lame and the act watching the official sub is akin to self-torture.

    The best fanfiction I've ever read is Friends Old and New by Kizmet.

  2. #2
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    For the longest time I was insecure about yaoi and slash because of all the bad rep women get for shipping it. I thought if I liked yaoi I would automatically be branded a woman-hater, and I (wrongly) viewed any criticism on female characters as an admission to liking yaoi. But bad fans exist in every fandom, and they can be men and women, fanboys and fangirls.

    I think a lot of non-yaoi shippers assume we can't read non-yaoi mediums "properly". Like, "oh, you obviously don't care about the plot if you like yaoi."

    Another yaoi fangirl stereotype I disagree with is that because I read yaoi, I have some kind of identity disorder because deep down inside, I want to be a gay man.

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #3
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    ^ I agree with you there, Teeba. I wouldn't read BL stories if it just a load of fan-services with no obvious/interesting plot. And we all have different views of characters, just because I'm a BL fan-girl, I don't hate every single female characters. Vice versa; if anyone dislike a certain character, it doesn't mean they're yaoi/yuri fans.

    Another stereotype I hate is BL fans' "preferences". My sister and I know two or three BL fan-boys as friends and they're as straight as a diamond pole. There's a case in youtube, a very known and popular youtube user is discovered to be a 'male' when the topic/videos he uploaded is related to female things (well, barely related). That single discovery encourage tens of people to post hate-comments, uncountable amount. Just — what the f***?!

    Quote Quote:
    When someone says "fangirl" in relation to anime/manga, most automatically assume 'oh, a yaoi fan.' I can't stand this very wide-spread stereotyping of female fandom.
    That is also a big stereotype issue, and it doesn't exist on female fandome only. For example, let's say, Fairy Tail's fanboys. Just like people out there related fangirls with Yaoi/Slash, fanboys are almost instantly related with Ecchi/Hentai/Yuri even though few of them are not.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #4
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Bumping the thread here. Hope no one minds.

    After some thought, I wonder why anti-yaoi and anti-slash people get so offended by yaoi. I've occasionally seen this on tumblr (even though tumblr is a very yaoi-friendly place and has a strong and active LGBT community) and I have to wonder why people get so offended over it. Its one thing to say, "oh, its just not my thing" but its another to rage and feel disappointed by fandom for "getting into yaoi", as if getting into yaoi somehow, degrades a piece of fiction (but hentai or ecchi is fine).

    The reason it puzzles me so is that yaoi and slash have been around for so long, and there have been so many franchises that openly embrace the fujoshi audience. Heck, there's even been anime about fujoshi themselves and their issues, and definitely a lot of manga on it too. So why are there still pockets of haters who can't seem to get over it?

  7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #5
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    Bumping the thread here. Hope no one minds.

    After some thought, I wonder why anti-yaoi and anti-slash people get so offended by yaoi.
    Some of it it's homophobia, some of them just find yaoi fangirls annoying, some of it has to do with the fact that some of the fanboys are uncomfortable because yaoi fangirls treat male characters like fanboys treat female characters and that scares them.

  9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #6
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Asclepius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ceará
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    I'm probably the hiding stereotype. The one that avoids reading BL in front of anyone.

    I come from a family with prejudice toward gay people and i currently live in a city full of prejudice against gays.
    I already had some heated discussions with homophobic men against me liking Boys Love stories in my hometown (Rio de Janeiro).

    And also i was called a dike (which i'm not) once in a social network for liking BL.

    Discuss the yaoi side of Shingeki no Kyojin and Kuroko no Basket at the Boys Love section.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #7
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
    Some of it it's homophobia, some of them just find yaoi fangirls annoying, some of it has to do with the fact that some of the fanboys are uncomfortable because yaoi fangirls treat male characters like fanboys treat female characters and that scares them.
    But I've also seen women openly express dislike for yaoi too. I agree there are multiple factors though. And the last one is highly relevant especially since Free! just ended.

    Free! got a lot of hate by anti-slashers because they just thought the anime industry was stooping too low or something. At the same time there were people who were convinced while watching Free! there was nothing to ship because they were all guys. (I tried understanding this logic but it seems like its ignoring all the subtext and controversy surrounding Free!)

    I've also seen anti-yaoi be strongly linked to naivete. Like, people who haven't been exposed to much will dislike it, but consistent exposure to it will cause people will to change their minds and accept it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    I'm probably the hiding stereotype. The one that avoids reading BL in front of anyone.

    I come from a family with prejudice toward gay people and i currently live in a city full of prejudice against gays.
    I already had some heated discussions with homophobic men against me liking Boys Love stories in my hometown (Rio de Janeiro).

    And also i was called a dike (which i'm not) once in a social network for liking BL.
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Its similar to me too, the society that I grew up in has a lot of prejudice towards homosexuality, and its difficult outside of the internet to find people to talk about it. (then again, where I grew up anime was considered a kind of underground movement) I'm really glad Mangahelpers is as tolerant as it is about yaoi and BL.

    I still live with my parents so I have to make sure my doujinshi doesn't get uncovered.

    That is really awful though. People will use whatever word they want and its awful.

  13. #8
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    va
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    Bumping the thread here. Hope no one minds.

    After some thought, I wonder why anti-yaoi and anti-slash people get so offended by yaoi. I've occasionally seen this on tumblr (even though tumblr is a very yaoi-friendly place and has a strong and active LGBT community) and I have to wonder why people get so offended over it. Its one thing to say, "oh, its just not my thing" but its another to rage and feel disappointed by fandom for "getting into yaoi", as if getting into yaoi somehow, degrades a piece of fiction (but hentai or ecchi is fine).

    The reason it puzzles me so is that yaoi and slash have been around for so long, and there have been so many franchises that openly embrace the fujoshi audience. Heck, there's even been anime about fujoshi themselves and their issues, and definitely a lot of manga on it too. So why are there still pockets of haters who can't seem to get over it?
    That reminds me of people getting angry in the Diabolik Lover tag and some otome tags that they were mad that people had yaoi ships for the characters...dont really see why people would get made over yaoi stuff and take it personally, its just love anyway. Anyway.
    Team Haikyu! | Team Stealth Symphony | Stealth Symphony Support Group

  14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #9
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Misogyny most likely plays a factor- actually it does play a factor. It's normal for a guy to read or watch ecchi/hentai, and it's okay for them to like girl on girl action. I mean... why else would t.A.T.u. be popular and successful in a country that has openly homophobic laws?

    However, if a girl gets into R18 smut and enjoys boy on boy action? She's automatically labelled as a stupid fangirl who's invading the space of "real" fans and is struggling with internal misogyny. (I actually encountered those two arguments.) Let's not forget that there are men who like reading or have BL pairings -hi Sharkbait!- so the stereotype that everyone who ships two guys together is a woman is also prejudiced.

    Thankfully I live in a LGBT friendly city, but it's still awkward to reveal that I'm a fujoshi to family and friends. It's strange and sad how I'm concerned by their reaction when I don't have to be scared about listing my NL ships.

  16. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #10
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner orenjichan92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Okay, it's 3.43 a.m., and I would like to join into the discussion here... so please pardon me and my incoherent thought... I'm quite sober, but I can't be so sure...

    Anyway, the stereotype of yaoi fangirl, or fujoshi (whatever, I'm rotten to the core.) are:

    1. They don't like to read het-pairing, or even normal series will be gay, homo, whatever, in their hands.
    I must say I'm quite offended. You see, I like hetetosexual pairing just fine.
    I like shoujo, josei, shounen, seinen, as long as the story is good with lovable, or at least bearable characters.
    However, if 3 out of 5 shoujo(s) offer me a meek, weak, stupid, moronic, idiotic, brainless, useless heroine, I would reject that so-called artwork immediately.
    The reason I like yaoi because they offer someone who is not like those underlined traits mentioned above.
    Of course, we still have those useless uke, which I despise, really... So the matter is not in the gender, but in the traits.
    The gender in yaoi only make the romance seems sweeter.
    As I said, 3 out of 5, there are some shoujo who offers great characters and lovable heroine. And I like those works, thankyouverymuch. I enjoy them just fine.
    Besides, if we somehow make slash couples out of straight comic, I must says it is because either these rotten women have too wild imagination, or the works are to be blamed for giving hints, innuendo, or making the characters so touchy-feely with each others. I personally think it's both.

    2. We have no moral.
    Said someone who has done as many sins as we have.
    So it is okay and normal for guys to watch lesbian porn, both 3D and 2D, but it is bad for girls to look at 2D men/boys, bonking loving each other? Puh-lease.

    3. We support gay.
    Ouch. I don't support gay, but I don't have anything to against them as well. I just don't care.
    People want to be happy, if they are happy with same-sex lovers, then let them be. It's not like they are doing any crime.
    Gay people are said to be very anxious about their sexuality, because they think they are not normal.
    So, please, just be a good citizen, let them feel happy.
    They are human beings, they deserve happiness in their life, just like you.
    Oh, btw, yaoi itself is a little homophobic. I mean, with the super feminine uke x super masculine seme, totally not homosexual.
    Not to mention, the earlier yaoi works usually insert words like, "We're just friends! There is no way guys can be together like that!" or "But we're both guys! It's not normal!" which leads to "I'm not gay (or homo)! It just happen that the one I love is a man!".
    See? They do not want to admit they are gays or homosexual.
    Beside, the act of same-sex penetration is not uncommon in Japan's history.
    It's kind of complicated. So I'll just stop here.

    4. Girls who like to read those stuff are lesbian.
    While it is not impossible, I'm straight. I'm totally don't find women attractive in THAT way.

    There are others, but I think I'll stop here before I'm complaining even further than this.

    By the way, my family accidentally found out about my hobby...
    I'm kind of, well, freaked out.
    But my siblings are cool, they teased me about it, but don't really care...
    And they are not otaku, btw... So I am quite surprised by their reactions.
    But then, maybe they don't want me to freak out even more...
    Last edited by orenjichan92; November 12, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #11
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Yaoi and Fangirl Stereotypes

    Welcome to the discussion!

    Quote Originally Posted by orenjichan92 View Post
    1. They don't like to read het-pairing, or even normal series will be gay, homo, whatever, in their hands.
    While there are certainly a number of fujoshi who only read/watch BL, there are many of us who also like NL or even GL pairings.

    Quote Quote:
    Oh, btw, yaoi itself is a little homophobic. I mean, with the super feminine uke x super masculine seme, totally not homosexual.
    Not to mention, the earlier yaoi works usually insert words like, "We're just friends! There is no way guys can be together like that!" or "But we're both guys! It's not normal!" which leads to "I'm not gay (or homo)! It just happen that the one I love is a man!".
    See? They do not want to admit they are gays or homosexual.
    Beside, the act of same-sex penetration is not uncommon in Japan's history.
    It's kind of complicated. So I'll just stop here.
    I agree. Back in the day when there were samurai, it was common for lords to take in a disciple and not only become a teacher but also a lover similar to Ancient Greece. It's indeed complicated, and I can only say very little about it because my knowledge is limited. (If anyone's interested, Yagyuu Hijouken Samon is a manga that touches on this topic.)

    I don't like it when the distinction between seme and uke is too distinct where the uke is always young, feminine and petit.

    Quote Quote:
    By the way, my family accidentally found out about my hobby...
    I'm kind of, well, freaked out.
    But my siblings are cool, they teased me about it, but don't really care...
    And they are not otaku, btw... So I am quite surprised by their reactions.
    But then, maybe they don't want me to freak out even more...
    Oh no! This is my biggest fear actually.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts