Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gottheim's Databook III Translations

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gottheim's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gottheim's Profile Translations

*Whew*
    Finally, Kakashi's done. See a toothless toddler chewing upon some particularly tough piece of beef jerky? That's me translating Kakashi's entry. I may release a few things here and there, but I'm done with characters. I also forgot to credit Gingitsune for her Zetsu transcription I used. That's corrected now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingitsune
    About Zetsu's "venus fly trap" appendages, the whole thing is called "leaf" and the "spikes" are called "cilia".
    Gosh! Now, that's specific. Don't know if I'll be able to include that in my text, but thanks for the heads up!

The OP now includes the Akatsuki Hunting, Itachi Hunting, and Kage Nui entries. For information, the next translation(s) I post will probably be the last. I'll weed out the approximations and mistakes if I find them, but as far as DB active translating goes, I'm done for the moment.
    Last edited by Gottheim; March 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Shodan's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wow. Looking at the first page now... You translated so damn much. Together with ShounenSuki's Jutsu translations, you guys nearly did the entire DB.

So, erhh, what to say... Thanks for the translations. Seriously.
    Last edited by Shodan; March 22, 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hasan's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

It is sad news that you won’t translate anymore But you really deserve the brake, you have earned it! You’ve translated about 100 pages already - and that’s really something! Thank you for all you’ve done!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Naruto_Namikaze's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Gottheim's Profile Translations

I guess good things come to an end ha ...It was good while it lasted seriously now ..your work is superb !thank you for the time you put in these translations for us, the "Japanese impaired" people !! I hope that we will see you in other projects in the future ..!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i think in sakura's profile, the death of a close one refers to the third, because he's the only one who really died in part 1 (besides hayate, and the fourth kazekage, and other really minor characters).

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

The last update I promised: Kage Mane Shuriken and Kageyose have been translated. Thank you all guys for the support. Don't worry. I'm done with the DB, but I'm just taking a break. You haven't heard the last of me yet.:P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gingitsune's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the hard work you already accomplish!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, part of the Karin text was lost when I re-organized the humongous post it was in. Here's the last picture comment:

Spoiler show
    The underlined part is rendered by the word "tsun" in Japanese. The same as in "tsundere".

The computer I'm on right now doesn't handle kanji (all I see is a bunch of empty squares), so I'll update the "official" post later to include this, as I don't want to take the risk of screwing up the entire thing.

Added Konoha's foundation to the info files, as well as two more techniques: Sakura's Oukashou and Itachi's suicidal God mode, Susanoo.
    Last edited by Gottheim; April 14, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for grate translation of Itachi’s jutsu – Susanoo!

Quote Quote:
    *Susanoo, God of storms. Mess around with the spelling and you get your extra meaning. Totsuka has been altered too, but I have no idea what "Ten Fists" could possibly mean. To make a long story short, the weapons mentioned in there are named after the Japanese imperial regalia, which according to myth, were used to defeat Yamata no Orochi, the giant eight-headed snake. The sake and intoxication bit is reminescent of the way Susanoo tricked the serpent into drinking itself under the table to make it easier to kill. And IIRC, Kusanagi is just an alternate name for a sword that was originally named Totsuka.
    Quite good abridgement of Shinto legend (if somebody would like to read whole story KLIK HERE), but I disagree with your explanations concerning swords. As far as my knowledge is concern:
    - Totsuka-no-tsurugi means “ten-grasp saber” and it is a generic name of weapon randomly used by heroes in Shinto mythology (for example it was used by Susanoo to kill Yamata no Orochi). In my opinion Totsuka can be alternative name for Kusangi only when we consider Kusangi-no-tsurugi as a sword with “ten fists” long blade.

- Kusangi-no-tsurugi (or Kusangi-no-tachi) – means “Herb-Quelling-Saber” (translation by B. H. Chamberlain) and it was found by Susanoo in one of Yamata no Orochi’s tails. Name “Kusangi” came from another legend and it’s later; according to Nihiongi (one of Shinto sacred books) by the time it was found by Susanoo it had been called Amenomurakumo-no-tsurugi (which could mean “Heavenly Sword of Assembled Clouds” - translation by Genchi Katō and Hikoshirō Hoshino; or “Sword Humble towards Heaven and Stubbing Hearth” – translation by W. Kotański).

The other thing that is strange for me is this paragraph:
    Quote Quote:
    The Sword of Totsuka
    One swing of the Sword of Kusanagi* has the power to throw the people it stabs into an genjutsu world of intoxicating dreams, and seal them away for eternity. The sword itself carries a fuuinjutsu.
    Tora-chan has translated it in slightly different way:
    Quote Originally Posted by tora-chan
    Totsuka no Tsurugi (Sword of Totsuka) - It's like a Sword of Kusanagi enhanced with the power to send the people it stabs to a world of illusions similar to the dream of a drunken person and seal them for eternity. It has a built-in sealing jutsu."
    There is significant difference concerning names of swords… I’ve absolutely no skills to judge witch translation is correct so I’m just pointing the difference.
    Last edited by Hasan; April 14, 2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. You're probably right about the swords, as my knowledge of Japanese legendary weaponry (ank folklore in general) isn't exactly foolproof.

About the names of the swords, the raw unmistakably reads "Kusanagi" and not "Totsuka". I assume Tora-chan saw this as an error (so do I) and corrected it with the appropriate name. I kept in the mistake, as I thought it might have been intentional on the author's part. Or maybe there's some kind of big misunderstanding going on somewhere...
    Last edited by Gottheim; April 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM.

Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

You’ve put my comment in the footnote – I’m honored!
    To make things clear. I’m pretty sure that what I've writen is correct. I’ve red few books about Shinto mythology, but it I’m not professional (no academic studies on Japanese culture or whatever) and I do not know Shinto mythology inside out, so I can be mistaken.
    Last edited by Hasan; April 16, 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the three "Sacred treasures" are the kusanagi, yata no kagami, and magatama necklace. Since Orochimaru already had the kusanagi, Kishi switched things up a bit, putting the Sword of Totsuka in its place.

In the myth, Susanoo killed Yamata no Orochi by getting it drunk with sake, and then chopping off its heads with the totsuka sword, which broke in the process. He found kusanagi inside of Orochi. The Sword of Totsuka was a standard god weapon, not legendary like the kusanagi. The kusanagi should be the superior sword based on the myth. Kishi just ended up reversing things.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Corrected a few instances of awkward phrasing, and added three new entries: Ino, Shizune&Shima, and Kagura Shingan.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your great job!! I've registered here to ask for your permission to translate your works concerning Akatsuki into Russian, certainly with reference to your original in each post. And I've got one more question: in the very first survey of Akatsuki data on onemanga.com it was contended that Hidan needed to continue massacres to maintain his immortality. Your phrase is: "The Curse he received in lieu of a blessing is in accordance with the perpetuation of massacre", and I’m not sure whether you mean the same thing or just the fact that Hidan’s immortality grants him the desired possibility to kill people endlessly. Could you please help to make it clear?
    Last edited by mitiko; April 29, 2009 at 06:05 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

@mitiko
    Sure, you can use my works. I'd be honored. That's what those translation were made for, after all.

Quote Quote:
    And I've got one more question: in the very first survey of Akatsuki data on onemanga.com it was contended that Hidan needed to continue massacres to maintain his immortality.
    Have a look at Shounensuki's thread. The Jajutsu: Hyouketsu (or something like that:P) explains exactly how Hidan's curse works. Essentially, my sentence means Hidan indeed needs to keep on killing to remain immortal (that part is not stated but implied), which he doesn't mind cause that's exactly what a fervent Jashinist is meant to do.
    -------------------
    Added Yamata no jutsu to the OP. For the kicks more tha anything else, since that entry was already translated.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Databook 3
    Jujutsu: Shiji Hyouketsu
    Curse Technique*: Death Controlling Possessed Blood (呪術・死司憑血, Jujutsu: Shiji Hyouketsu)
    Ninjutsu, Hiden, No rank, Offensive, All ranges
    User: Hidan

A person is cursed, but there is only one grave~~**
    An omnious link of injuries!!

The Curse Technique Hidan acquired from "Jashinism". This absolutely inescapable curse is invoked using the opponent's blood as an intermediary and gives the opponent the exact same injuries as the user receives~~ Because this technique cannot be used without the user themselves getting injured, the only person who can use this more than once is Hidan with his immortal body...
    Quoted from Shounensuki's translation...
    Last edited by Gottheim; April 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

New Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast