Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The New Era

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member monkey D luffy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

The New Era

the era of dreams is over, or more accurately will be over soon (in one piece world, soon can be a few years), however the pirate age is not done yet.
    every body is talking about this new era but i dont think people give that a thought (maybe people did i just didnt see it).
    the new era is the pirate king era! a new pirate king will be crowned. you all might come out and say yeah we know that for 12 years now where have you been? yes i know luffy will end up the pirate king, but the era will change! people are starting to talk about this new age, we know that bellami spoke of it and doflamingo spoke of it, we can assume it will be a negative change, but this is a wrong thing to think. there are another people who say that the era of dreams is over:
    shanks-http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/11/
    according to shanks luffy is the new age. he believes that luffy can actually become the pirate king.
    shakky-well i cant find it at the moment but she says that the new age is coming and it can be interpreted in 2 ways: she is either talking about the war or about luffy.

thats it for now have fun talking over it
    my new dragons:

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New Era

I'll post my thoughts on the New Era here, but I'll be quoting my first post from the chapter 504 Discussion/505 Predictions thread, since I dealt with the issue in depth there, and I don't feel like typing it all up again. So some of this post may seem a bit chapter 504 specific, and that's why. My thoughts on the matter haven't changed much since then, though, and in fact, I daresay that recent events in One Piece have borne out my thoughts.

I wanted the smile sigil to signify something bigger then Donquixote Doflamingo. And Oda managed to pull it all off in a way that makes me happy AND takes the story in a lot of interesting new directions. Doflamingo said that "this is the age of smiles", which I think is a support for the "Roger's smile" theory of the smile sigil, which is that it represents which sort of piracy you believe in. Doflamingo seems to think that part of the battle which will usher in the "New Era" (more on the New Era later) will be an ideological battle between the kind of pirates that believe in Roger's romantic ideals of piracy, and the kind of cynical opportunists that reject Roger's ideals of piracy. Doflamingo believes that the New Era is one where the cynical rejectors will reign supreme, but Shanks, who also believes in the New Era believes that the New Era will be dominated by a new generation of romantic pirates who will live up to the legend of Gold Roger and those who sailed and fought with him.

Doflamingo also announces that the Shichibukai have been gathered to fight Whitebeard when he inevitably attacks Impel Down to prevent Ace's execution from taking place. Doflamingo is the PERFECT character to announce the forthcoming battle between the Shichibukai and Whitebeard, because of his belief in the New Era. Whitebeard is kind of the only person we know of who was a major player back in Roger's time that's still really active on his own. Garp is kind of old and is out of favor with his superiors in the Navy, Sengoku is no longer an active Marine himself, but rather, the commanding Fleet Admiral, Rayleigh (assuming Whitebeard even knows he's alive, which I doubt he does) wants to retire and live the rest of his life relatively quietly, etc. Whitebeard, however is still a pirate, but I'm pretty sure he's the only Yonko that was around as a major player in Roger's time. Whitebeard is a holdover from a bygone era, the Era of Gold Roger, and his death will be a MAJOR step towards bringing about the "New Era", whether the New Era turns out in accordance with the beliefs of Shanks or the beliefs of Doflamingo. Whitebeard's death will be the cause of the upheavals that bring about the New Era, and that is the "major incident" which Blackbeard's defeat of Ace will trigger.

Blackbeard is going to be one of the major players of the New Era, and he's been one of the most malignant so far, especially in terms of destroying the Old Era. He killed a crew-mate, something that is simply anathema to Old Era pirates like Whitebeard, and he's playing both sides of the Three Great Powers, since he's both a Shichibukai and a candidate for Pirate King, and it would be very symbolic for him to defeat the oldest and most powerful of the Yonko. Blackbeard represents the opposite of everything Whitebeard stands for, and it would have a lot of meaning if he were the one to strike down the last real remaining member of the Era of Gold Roger, since it would represent Blackbeard's vision of the New Era, one in which he reigns supreme over all three Great Powers, coming to the fore.

In other words, the New Era is going to be when the world moves out of the shadow of the Era of Gold Roger, and the issue of One Piece and the Pirate King are resolved. When the last active vestige of the Old Era, in other words, Whitebeard, is gone, that means that the major players of the emerging New Era will emerge and struggle for dominance in the aftereffects of the war. The way I see it, the New World when the Straw Hats get there will be reeling with chaos due to the imbalance in the Three Great Powers caused by Whitebeard's defeat, an off-kilter free-for-all where the flag-bearer of the New Era that will be in the process of being defined will have his chance to emerge and make his impact on the world. It will be Luffy, who will bring about the New Era, an Era of Dreams, when he finds One Piece and becomes the Pirate King, but the struggle and battles that ultimately lead Luffy to One Piece will leave an indelible mark on the world of One Piece, a mark that will change it forever.
    Last edited by Imitorar; January 12, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger smile is a more obvious interpretation. Doflamingo is the opposite to the dreaming pirates, his flag representing "No G. Roger" would fit.

But that New Era he talks about sounds more "revolutionary". I think it could be a era without a government, where pirates rule the world. Well, that's why a crossed smile. =P
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member knivez's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Doflamingo believes in an era where power rules the world. Those with power are above laws or ideals and they can do anything they want.

Luffy believes power should be used to protect people. Power should be used to chase your dreams or protect your nakama/treasure.

They are both pirates and both of them believe in freedom but they hope to realise it in a different way.

oops wrong thread. could you move this to the new era thread please. I replyd in the wrong tab.
    Last edited by knivez; January 13, 2009 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    't goeie leven dat smakt maar 't geweten dat krakt.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

The New Era: out with the old (e.g. Whitebeard) in with the new (e.g. the Supernovas). Thats what I think anyway.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Makki's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Doflamingo just wants to get rid of all the yonkous, just maybe they are all a little bit like roger. That would be his new-era. Like someone said, where money and the power rule the world.
    if the WG would know how many black sheeps they have within the shichibukai...haha
    But also Dragon is pushing forward to a new era. Wasn't it that what he said to Smoker back then in Loguetown? Though I don't know if he really just wants to destroy the WG or if he has more things intended by that.
    Maybe a new era with true justice or so...mhh

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy said in a pilot chapter that thing about the adventurer pirates and the pirates that only care about money. Well, the idea of getting rid of adventurer pirates fit the crossed smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

"New Era" Discussion Thread

Hi all..
    Especially as things continue to develop more speculation can be done as to the "new era". What does this term refer to really? Is it a changing of the guard so to speak. or is it more?? Could the "new era" refer to more than a generational change??

Could it be that the forces at the center of this "new era" will totally reshape the dynamic of the One Piece world.

If it's more than just a generational change how will the current powers deal with such major changes occuring??

I personally think what Roger started Luffy and crew will bring to pass.
    Also what Ray San says here:
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/05/
    I think that perhaps this coming Era is one where the knowledge of the void century can come to the public, creating revolution, harmoniously however.
    Maybe it will be a war of might but also of psyche. Compassion and respect are also tools of revolution...

Wondering what everyone thinks?
    Also gives us a place to randomly speculate....

It's on. Like Donkey Kong

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gcat88's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this New Era will be one of chaos. The live recording has proven that there are pirates out there that can easily hold off the government's strongest warriors. Pirates will rule all, especially after WhiteBeard died. Luffy will become Pirate King this Era, and then the next Era will be one of CHANGE!!!!!!
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Marche's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Re: "New Era" Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poneglyph420 View Post
    Hi all..
    Especially as things continue to develop more speculation can be done as to the "new era". What does this term refer to really? Is it a changing of the guard so to speak. or is it more?? Could the "new era" refer to more than a generational change??

Could it be that the forces at the center of this "new era" will totally reshape the dynamic of the One Piece world.

If it's more than just a generational change how will the current powers deal with such major changes occuring??

I personally think what Roger started Luffy and crew will bring to pass.
    Also what Ray San says here:
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/05/
    I think that perhaps this coming Era is one where the knowledge of the void century can come to the public, creating revolution, harmoniously however.
    Maybe it will be a war of might but also of psyche. Compassion and respect are also tools of revolution...

Wondering what everyone thinks?
    Also gives us a place to randomly speculate....
    I completely agree with you.

Anyways this is what I think will be happened in this new era considering "Navy side" (until the next war in the end of OP, where the WG will be crushed):
    In the end I must say something about the decision of Shanks (that in which He say than He will do Ace’s and WB burial’s), and also the answer of Sengoku:
    To notice than Sengoku says than He will take the guilt of this (the fact than the bodies will not exposed as trophies).
    For this I believe (also on pressure of the Tenryuubitos, they will not tollerate the fact than Rufy has escaped) than Sengoku will be punished, He will be demoted to admiral or they will dismiss him (perhaps Sengoku will left the Navy). This is also worth for Garp (also him lascierà the harbor).
    If it will be so will be promoted Akainu, and also the same Navy (not only the WG) it will become dark (this in sight of the next war).
    If Sengoku will leave the Navy, perhaps also him will face the WG in the next war (because from this chapter we understand that he is not for the absolute justice, contrarily of what I believed).
    I think than Dobberman will became the third admiral, because also him as Akainu is for "absolute justice".

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

In a Whitebeard's flashback we saw that he didn't want money and treasure, but instead, a family. He was laughed at back then.
    The reason why he calls his Division Commanders his sons is because he most likely didn't have a father figure growing up and now he doesn't want to be the same to his "children".
    The Old Era is defined by just one word - nakama. Since Blackbeard did the worst thing imaginable, killing a nakama, he started powering up the New Era - treasure, greedy pirates, betrayal, self-interest. There aren't any dreams - people need to wake up and believe that gold makes them happy.
    But alas, that is just the New Era according to Blackbeard/Doflamingo.
    As I see it, there are two 'New Eras'. The other one follows the Old Era in a sense that teamwork, friendship and an adventure are the most important things about being a pirate. Shanks believed so much in it he gave his left arm. I'm sure before he met Luffy he had a fight with Teach and the latter told him of his real goals - the "New Era of Blackbeard" aka. power/greed so to say.
    Luffy is the pioneer of the second New Era. He and his allies will fight against the first New Era to prove that there's more to pirates than just the stereotypical killing and pillaging. Mihawk mentioned that Luffy has the strongest power of them all - finding allies whereever he goes. For example ,Trafalgar Law is Luffy's enemy and he even acknowledged that, yet he will still save Luffy's life. The Whitebeard Pirates, after losing both their captain and 2nd division commander, should be devastated and distressed, but instead, protect the light of the New Era.

However, since both of these New Eras are truly related to the Old Era, I feel like there is something much more bigger coming. The True New Era, if you will. Monkey D. Dragon is the pioneer of that one. I'm beginning to believe that he found out the history of the D. people and how the World Government tried to eradicate them in the past (supposedly). With the biggest war ever imaginable (Dragon & The Revolutionary Army + Luffy & his nakama/allies VS. World Government & The Marines) everything will finally be cleared.
    After seizing victory, the D. people shall take control the world again in peace, as it once was in the past (before the WG was formed). You could say again, that this is what the D. people Dream about...
    This is what I believe.
    Last edited by ScratchmenApoo; April 02, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett

New Reply