Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Signature & Avatar Guidelines

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Signature & Avatar Guidelines

First of all, let me clear one thing that many people are mistaken. Putting a pic under a spoiler tag DO NOT reduce the load time. The image is still loaded together with the page. The only thing the spoiler tag does is to hide the image from showing on page load. That's all.

True, to click the spoiler tag is a choice. But to load a page without it, it's not a choice. Unless that person disables signatures all together in his/her profile, and we don't want to have anyone had to do that just because there are a bunch of people who aren't considerate by putting large images in their sigs.

Many people have abused the spoiler tags in signatures. Large images, both in pixels and/or kB, are always found under them.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jodi View Post
    its a choice to let it be cool or not
    You can let it be cool within the given limits. There are so many ways to design a cool signature pic with a funny quote under it.

Quote Originally Posted by jodi View Post
    It was cool to open spoiler tags to see what the user likes and the cool images that it could have there
    That's what the "Vist user's homepage" feature is for, imho. Following the link, you can show and see unlimited creative minds at work

You know, I think MH is already very userfriendly here. Personally I don't like the endless signatures on others boards, that's simply not what a forum is for. On the hand, I'm modding on a second forum and there we have a limit to 250 characters and no images at all allowed. MH goes a nice middle way, not to much limited to be creative and not to much allowed to disturb the reading flow or to slow down the loading time of 56k users.
    Last edited by eni; January 31, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member jodi's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bax View Post
    First of all, let me clear one thing that many people are mistaken. Putting a pic under a spoiler tag DO NOT reduce the load time. The image is still loaded together with the page. The only thing the spoiler tag does is to hide the image from showing on page load. That's all.

True, to click the spoiler tag is a choice. But to load a page without it, it's not a choice. Unless that person disables signatures all together in his/her profile, and we don't want to have anyone had to do that just because there are a bunch of people who aren't considerate by putting large images in their sigs.

Many people have abused the spoiler tags in signatures. Large images, both in pixels and/or kB, are always found under them.
    Yeah, the spoiler tags should have an argument like autoloadimg=false

Quote Originally Posted by eni View Post
    You can let it be cool within the given limits. There are so many ways to design a cool signature pic with a funny quote under it.

That's what the "Vist user's homepage" feature is for, imho. Following the link, you can show and see unlimited creative minds at work

You know, I think MH is already very userfriendly here. Personally I don't like the endless signatures on others boards, that's simply not what a forum is for. On the hand, I'm modding on a second forum and there we have a limit to 250 characters and no images at all allowed. MH goes a nice middle way, not to much limited to be creative and not to much allowed to disturb the reading flow or to slow down the loading time of 56k users.
    Ya, but I doubt that you or bax don't click spoiler tags on forums... IMHO it is just cool xD

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner pop_swe's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

"If your sig is bigger than this, you're clearly overcompensating for something." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA aahhhh... thx Mangahelpers for a nice laugh, now i have something funny to think about for the rest of the day

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member onno's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

forget it.

i've got it now.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Silver_Archer's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to get my signature to work at all. First I tried to use an image that is 550x166 pixels and 26 kb in size. It showed up on the preview on my user CP, but not on any of my posts. Then I tried a text only signature (one sentence only) as a test, but even that did not show up on any of my posts. Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Silver_Archer; October 30, 2008 at 01:57 AM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member bax's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver_Archer,

Try this guide, if you still can't, then post here again
    http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22933

Just make sure you have the [sigpic][/sigpic] code in your sig, since that code is representing your signature

--------------
    Just in case, check your settings whether you unticked the "show signature" box.

HERE > Visible Post Elements
    Last edited by bax; October 29, 2008 at 09:28 AM.

mousou mashiin 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kaylee's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Also make sure that when you post a message, the checkbox "Show your signature" is selected. (It's in the bottom right corner of the quick reply and under "misc options" in the advanced reply).

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

can somebody help me..i'm trying to use a gif avatar but the animation doesn't play : / i think it's because the size is 82x113 .i read it in the faq that if it's bigger than 100x100 only the first frame will show and the animation won't be able to play. so here is the problem,i don't know how to resize a gif,i mean i don't have any software capable of this. can somebody help me with it? here is the gif i want to resize. if anybody can do it for me and p.m. to me afterwards or just tell me how to do it,i would be most grateful

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go:

I already added it as your avatar to see if there's any problem. But seems not to be ^^

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner plutie's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

*update* now it works.. Thx for all the info.

Taxi.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Lucifiel's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Blush Re: Signature & Avatar Guidelines

Hi, one question:

Is it allowed to link to your group's recruitment thread in your signature? I just read through all the 4 pages of this thread, the MH Rules thread and I'm still unsure about that.

I apologise for this question 'cos I haven't been a frequent user of MH and might have already flouted one of the rules.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's fine. We want groups to promote themself, so you can link to your group profile, recruitment and/or ask-us thread in your sig, of course.

A decent link to your external group website is no problem either, just don't let your sig look like a commercial (we have a advertisment forum for that) or like aggressively fishing members for a different community and most importantly: no money/profit-related links

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Lucifiel's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, dear, for clarifying that.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kenjiharima's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys new here. Well actually I lurk here, decided to join up after talking with GrrDraxin on another forum.

Just wanna ask are my siggy and avy ok?

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast