Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Natsu's lightning fire mode

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsu's lightning fire mode

I have been seeing a lot of discussion about Natsu's Lightning dragon mode so I thought about opening a thread about it so it can be discussed here.

To my opinion I don't find it so weird that he can use that mode now.

Natsu's dragon slayer magic consists of him being able to convert the magic power in his body into the flame magic that he was taught by Igneel. So when Laxus GAVE (big difference in trying to eat his attack) his flames combined with the lightning for his new mode.
    Natsu must have remembered the way the magic felt and now tried to convert his magic into that "feeling"once again.
    But because now he has to do it pure from his own magic power is probably the reason why it isn't as strong as when he got magic power from Laxus.

Since Laxus Lightning power is an artificial form of dragonslayer magic is probably the reason why Natsu could now convert his magic power into that combined element.

Its not so strange when you think that dragonslayer is the type of magic in the first place, and the element choosen to convert it into is a secundairy stage of the proces. Caus other DS also have dragonslayer magic just other element types.

This is probably also why he was so exhausted when he used this type, caus when learning to convert magic into another kind of element you are not used to it probably uses alot of mentaltraing to make that feeling your own. So when he uses his mode it takes so much energy to convert a part of his power into lightning it wears him out completely. So in time he should be able to use this form freely.

The reason why he probably can't use the black flames (I saw this question asked more then 1 times) is because it aint dragonslayer magic. its a kind of lost magic. (so called god slayer magic wich seems to me more like a mage with a godsyndrome)
    So the reason why he could use the black flames is because he "catched"the black flames and threw them back together with his own flames.

Soooo feel free discuss this matter here

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natsu's lightning fire mode

Well, dragon slayer magic as a whole consist of the user acquiring powers of a dragon in order to be able to match one. Through the magic the user's body is transformed into one with the properties of the body of a dragon and it able to use the same powers as a dragon. Its quite a deep thing, even in edolas they were referred to as humans who were not human.

Personally I think the reason natsu is able to do this at will is because laxus to begin with was not a real dragon slayer, he used lachrima. I don't think that receiving iron magic from gajeel would allow for natsu to become the iron flame dragon for instance. Basically he would have received from laxus a portion of the magic he had in his dragon lachrima which would currently allow him to generate dragon thunder at will. Now, if this is the case then it is very likely that natsu at some point will lose the capacity to use lightning at will, specifically when and if he runs out of the magic he would have hypothetically receive from laxus dragon lachrima. I think this particular change is too much for natsu to enjoy permanently. Natsu is an established character whose main theme is fire. Would it make sense plotwise for natsu to go completely away from that? I honestly doubt it. More so, natsu with the lightning flame is an entire magical level above his original level at least. We saw he was able to match hades with that which is no small feat. In this regard the lightning flame puts him on the same tier as with people like makarov or gildarts at least which plotwise makes no sense right now. IMO the boost will be temporary, it will serve a particular plot purpose (my personal theory being that natsu will definitely lose that once ivan takes laxus lachrima -as he seemed to intent- and laxus has to get his power back) and then he will lose it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, dragon slayer magic as a whole consist of the user acquiring powers of a dragon in order to be able to match one. Through the magic the user's body is transformed into one with the properties of the body of a dragon and it able to use the same powers as a dragon. Its quite a deep thing, even in edolas they were referred to as humans who were not human.

Personally I think the reason natsu is able to do this at will is because laxus to begin with was not a real dragon slayer, he used lachrima. I don't think that receiving iron magic from gajeel would allow for natsu to become the iron flame dragon for instance. Basically he would have received from laxus a portion of the magic he had in his dragon lachrima which would currently allow him to generate dragon thunder at will. Now, if this is the case then it is very likely that natsu at some point will lose the capacity to use lightning at will, specifically when and if he runs out of the magic he would have hypothetically receive from laxus dragon lachrima. I think this particular change is too much for natsu to enjoy permanently. Natsu is an established character whose main theme is fire. Would it make sense plotwise for natsu to go completely away from that? I honestly doubt it. More so, natsu with the lightning flame is an entire magical level above his original level at least. We saw he was able to match hades with that which is no small feat. In this regard the lightning flame puts him on the same tier as with people like makarov or gildarts at least which plotwise makes no sense right now. IMO the boost will be temporary, it will serve a particular plot purpose (my personal theory being that natsu will definitely lose that once ivan takes laxus lachrima -as he seemed to intent- and laxus has to get his power back) and then he will lose it.
    I strongly disagree with this. As I tried to explain before, and as Bigfoot tried to explain, the lightning-fire mode he displayed is not something he can use because he's got left over power from Laxus. He can use it because after using it that time he learned how to do it. It's essentially "I think I've got the hang of it now." combined with "Good thing I tried it out." writ somewhat larger. If it was intended to be left over power from Laxus, Natsu would have said he was able to use it since then, rather than the "just now" he said.

Furthermore, your argument that it's too powerful and places him on the level of Makarov and Gildarts is pretty much null as he noted that it was not as powerful as it was before. With the additional problem that it consumes too much power and results in him falling over exhausted right after using it.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope during his training Natsu will develop this mode and will manage to not only make Roar in this mode, but all the basic attacks he has in his normal Fire DS mode.
    About how he can use it I agree with those who think that it's because he grasped the feeling of this type of magic.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ifrit's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Natsu Lightning-fire mode.....

and I hope in the remaining 5 days, Mashima will show us that Natsu asking Laxus to help him control it.....

will be nice seeing Natsu & Laxus training together...
    Dreyar Style

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I gues with Ultear unlocking their potentials, natsu would probably have enough magic power to use lightning fire mode for a longer period of time and make his normal attacks stronger. Can't wait to see him in action

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member oniichan powaa's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigfoot187, I bet we'll see that lightning-fire roar again. Ultear did say that she unlock their potentials, on top of opening the second magic container. The only question is When will Natsu use it? Against the Sabertooth? Vs the Raven Tail?

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree with you, DS magic at its very core a magic that emulates dragons that means DS magic = dragon magic; which means that original Dragon Slayers(natsu) can emulate as long as it is dragon magic. Lighting Fire mode I think gives us insight on the nature of the DS magic it means that they are not limited to one affinity. As the strength of the mode is, it's not in the master level yet i think it is probably at the same level as Natsu's secret techniques.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be actually great to see Natsu using not only Fire Ds magic, but also this Fire Lightning Mode and maybe even separate Lightning Mode and maybe some other DS magic types. Actually Cobra's was quite powerful. And maybe he might absorbe the DS magic those two new Dragonslayers use.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xeteboi's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally,..the Fire Lightning mode is quite awesome, it would be boring if Natsu will stick only to his fire techniques and i doubt that Natsu can use a separate lightning attacks, if he can, then at least, there is a plot for everything and Mashima owe us some explanation, Fire Lightning mode so far is acceptable for a DS.

New Reply