Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsubasa Shunraiki/xxxHoic Shunmuki

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ZaCloud's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tsubasa Shunraiki/xxxHoic Shunmuki

Thanks for the link. Finally got to see Shunraiki now. I have to say... Not bad. I'm glad they kept the epic finale of Celes intact, rather than it just being a passing mention or brief flashback. Though they did cut out an awful lot of combat, changed the feel of a few scenes... But in turn they added some kind of extra exposition that I couldn't quite understand.

There was one line I am intrigued by. Hopefully someone'll figure it out soon so I know if I was right or not...

Spoiler show
    Last edited by ZaCloud; March 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: I keep finding new possibilities, lol
    Hyuu Hyuuuu~!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DontWakeMeUp's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I watched the first one, I REALLY need to watch the second. >.<
    2 month wait now. D:

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member PirateFiend's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Tsubasa Shunraiki/xxxHoic Shunmuki

How rude is that, eh? (Bounces.) You, know I wish they would animate the rest of the series. In amazing quality. But I think we all wish that... Or ALMOST all of us. I can't speak for all, really.

ETA: Okay, yeah. They blazed through Part 1, so Part 2 is where the party's at.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by PirateFiend; March 18, 2009 at 02:17 AM.
    "No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it."
    "The heart may be weak. And sometimes, it may even give in.
    But... deep down, there's a light that never goes out
    ."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lady Sakura-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

IT IS ON YOUTUBE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Tsubasa Shunraiki" CHECK IT OUT........NOW!!!!WHAT ARE YOU WATING FOR?
    Tsubasa-supporters of the world unite!!!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Vande's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Sakura-chan View Post
    IT IS ON YOUTUBE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Tsubasa Shunraiki" CHECK IT OUT........NOW!!!!WHAT ARE YOU WATING FOR?
    Well i'm waiting for the sub.... XD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateFiend View Post
    How rude is that, eh? (Bounces.) You, know I wish they would animate the rest of the series. In amazing quality. But I think we all wish that... Or ALMOST all of us. I can't speak for all, really.

ETA: Okay, yeah. They blazed through Part 1, so Part 2 is where the party's at.
    Spoiler show

Yeah, I don't think the quality is that good either. There are some parts where it's really good, but everything else wasn't what I'd thought it would be. Shunmuki was good quality though...

And I'd like to see the whole series re-animated too. >.>

Edit// Kurogane looks kind of weird in this...
    Last edited by DontWakeMeUp; March 19, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ShirubiaLamperouge's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Mokona is shrinking! And yeah, the quality was better in TR. Although I think Fai is better drawn in part one of this one.

RIP Mopsy, my adorable, psychotic, half blind and overall quite epically seishirou-esque rabbit.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member PrincessSakura67's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The art was really great in this one. I thought it was better in this one than Tokyo but that's just me it seems to be? o.o; I feel lonely now. But whatever I downloaded it in high quality so Idk if that makes a difference cuz I couldn't watch it on my computer because I had to leave my neighbor's house so I just downloaded them off youtube and watched them on my iPod instead.

Mokona is so shrinking!! When he jumped on Syaoran's sholder in the beginning I was like "Wtf? Is he getting smaller?" xDD

I loved seeing Sakura animated in the dress and the Dream World all togther. It was frickin' amazing. But I think I'm satisfied now and can patiently wait for the 2d part...........even though it's 2 months away! 0__=

"Even if that is true, if what you have done is sin, then I want to bear that sin as well. If I am punished sometime because of that, that's fine. I want to live with you.

I love you."

-C!Sakura[trc]

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: Tsubasa Shunraiki/xxxHoic Shunmuki

Well, it was great to see things animated again, don't get me wrong. But I felt that xxxHolic ended up looking great at Tsubasa's expense. Which is sad, because the two correlating halves didn't get the same treatment (if they're being touted as crossovers, they should stand on equal ground, shouldn't they?). Also I think Tsubasa is kind of more visual than xxxHolic, which leans a lot more heavily on elements of story like DIALOGUE, so it's kind of ironic.

I do really like the look of the opening credits, though.

Spoiler show

Oh well. What's done is done, and it has it's good points too. However, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping that the next segment's quality is kicked up. :-P

Mokona... was once about the size of an American football, there abouts. Maybe a bit bigger. Now he's an egg. A large bird's egg, but an egg. It's not a huge deal, but it's kind of like O.o
    ."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ZaCloud's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree with the general consensus... xxxHolic as a series is far less dependent on dynamic action and more on speaking and thinking, than Tsubasa. So in my opinion, the animation quality could have been traded with less expense to each.

Plus, Syaoran's fight got the short end of the stick. I definitely loved the exposition and focus on Fay, Kurogane, and Tomo-hime... But dangit, the battle was such a footnote that I felt kinda cheated. I more noticed that a day or two after I watched as I thought about it (guess before I was too happy at seeing the end of Celes to notice well enough ). I really hope they improve with the next one... I'd rather they take their time and do even more, than try to cram too much into too little time. (I'm sure there would be ZERO objections from any of us for the WHOLE series to be animated, ne?)
    Hyuu Hyuuuu~!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame that Tsubasa hasn't had much luck with animation... =/

I agree with everyone's comments on the fight scene. Most of the preview of this OAD contained the fight scene, and that was interrupted by all of this dialogue and right when we think it's going to get better, it's over. _-_ The dialogue in between was good and all, I just would've liked to have it... well, not DURING the fight. =| It just slowly made me lose interest. Holic's was better quality, and it didn't make me lose interest at all.

OP: It was a pretty cool effect, but I hate how... "flat" everyone looks. It's like they ran out of time, so they just tried to whip something up really quick. And the ED was just... blah. The whole playing then freezing of the scenes thing just didn't work with the song, in my opinion.

Oh, and I think they could've drawn Seishiro and Fuuma better. >.>

In short, yes, it disappointed me, but I'm still content with it. Let's just pray that the second one is better.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No Trust Re: Tsubasa Shunraiki/xxxHoic Shunmuki

The reason I ended up liking the OP was because, even though they were "flat," at least they tried to do something with it. It's pretty obvious they had no time and then just threw something together. Certainly, that's annoying. But it could have been worse.... like the ED. What the heck is that? In the ED's case, they didn't even DISGUISE the fact that they ran out of time. That was blatant... yeah. Recycling footage we'd JUST scene, in just a little box off to the side of the credits was completely lame. It's not even a real ED.

I think the intention was to make the whole set xxxHolic quality. So they started with xxxHolic, since that one comes first. But it started taking longer than they predicted, maybe, and so they had to really book it on Tsubasa??

I agree that Fuuma and Seishiro weren't drawn very well. I found myself looking for short moments when they did look right, instead of it being all "La dee da... Oo, that shot made them look funny. Oh well, moving on." It was backwards. In fact, in general, I felt a lot of the characters looked "off," for a good portion of the animation. Which is sad, because CLAMP's style is soooo gorgeous. It makes it all the worse when it isn't translated into animation properly.

I went back a month or so ago and started watching CCS again. I hadn't watched that show in... 8 years or something. And I was struck by how great it looks once it hits its stride, even today. The first couple episodes in the first season do look different from the rest, more lower quality. But when you look at the second and ESPECIALLY the third season, holy cow. That show was, and still is, gorgeous. It wasn't perfect, but I think that it's overall handling is such that those imperfections can be forgiven quite easily.

Why couldn't TRC be handled with the same care? It's kind of depressing to see how much time they put into Syaoran and Sakura and Tomoyo in CCS, and then compare it to the newer animations of TRC and see how it falls flat on its face, in comparison. Some examples would be with the lighting--it was used in such a wonderful way throughout CCS. To set tones for scenes and with marvelous interactions with the characters. There are countless examples there, but a few that I can think of off the top of my head are during her incantations, at the swing set in season 3 with Syaoran, playing with backlighting in the piano room in season 2... Some good stuff. I see that happening occasionally in TRC, and typically not with the same gorgeous ambiance that pervaded CCS. Sure, CCS's whole tone is entirely different from TRC. However that CLAMP thread of visually beauty still connects the two, and I felt that the lighting REALLY helped translate that spirit onto the screen.

Another thing where CCS comes out the winner is that the proportions didn't look awkward nearly as much. Generally, the characters always looked sharp. They could turn their head this way or that, move their hands any which way, and it looked good. The moments where you go, "Hmm. That isn't quite right" aren't nearly as frequent as they are in TRC. Which is kind of ironic because when I go back and look at the CCS MANGA, you kind of go, "Man. Look how far they've come." The TRC manga, I think, looks better than CCS did. But of course, we've got the same team who have been drawing all these years and have gotten to improve on their already admirable skills.

Another odd thing I want to point out, because I can, is hair. I was watching CCS and after seeing that, I never noticed how they paid attention to the characters' hair, before. In fact, I think that they handled the characters' hair better in the second and third seasons of CCS than even, possibly, Tokyo Revelations. It had movement and environmental interaction during even trifling moments. TRC only has this happen on occasion, and usually when there's more of a relevance to the scene. One key example would be the difference between Syaoran in TRC and Syaoran in CCS. If Syaoran turned his head in CCS, there were a lot of shots where his hair would react to that turn. It would move rather like the thick, ruffled boyish hair that is represented. One extreme example would be the episode with the Return Card in season 2. There's a moment where he shakes his head during a conversation with Sakura, at the shrine. The way his hair moves is fun--it's got a swoosh and movement to it that's like... hair. He jumps from the tree and later snaps back around at her shout, and again his hair kind of flicks at the turn of his head. They did that in CCS. In TRC, their hair feels more "stuck" to their heads except in certain cases. And even in those cases, it doesn't really translate as hair movement the way CCS. It moves but it feels more like a cartoon's movement.

Another hair item in TRC that bugs me a little (or at least fails to delight me in the way it can at portions of CCS) is when their hair is blowing in the wind. The loop they use to animate that movement is always very short and noticeable, in TRC. It goes like, "Look at me! I'm a shortcut!" like they don't even try to disguise the fact that they're going to loop the animation. In general, they were a little more careful with that in CCS (not to say the same thing didn't happen occasionally). Additionally, there were some fabulous moments where they really took some extra care. My favorite example for this is Syaoran again (we could probably find plenty of Sakura, though). This one is in the elevator, after Sakura has fallen and he failed to grab her hand. I absolutely love how they made his hair interact with the wind that was blowing through the shaft, during his close up shots--the prime one being when he shouts her name. Love.

Anyway. Generally speaking, CCS, TO ME, looked great--like the animators cared about how their work turned out. It felt collaborative, planned, sharp. Just visually well executed--a beautiful little show.

With TRC which has the ability to be just as beautiful, although in a different way, has been very unfortunate, because it's animation, when compared to CCS, generally feels more like a Disney sequel. They made the characters look enough like their "original" appearances (since, regardless of which Syaoran or Sakura or Tomoyo we speak of, they all are the same character design) that they are recognizable, but don't bother to live up to what we saw. The attention to detail and presentation is either absent or no longer as large of an importance. Maybe TRC is just a quick buck to these companies? (Or yen. Whatever.) I dunno.

All in all... My point is that it's possible to translate CLAMP onto the screen well. It's already been done with the counterparts of the leads we see in TRC, in my opinion. TRC's size and spectacle is certainly much bigger than anything CCS ever was, so it can be daunting. But it shouldn't have to be this hard! So, if someone wanted to try again with TRC, and actually do it well, I'd say go for it. Alas, alack and other expressions of woe, though, I doubt that'll ever come to be.

(Looks back up.) Wow, that was a rant, I think.
    Last edited by PirateFiend; March 22, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    ."

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the ED. But I still like the song. It's pretty, even if the actual sequence was thrown together in like 2 seconds.
    And about the quality of the tsubasa anime, yea, it's pretty horrible. It kinda amuses me to see people who've just watched TR/Shunraiki going "Omg what happened?!", just randomly. Still, the music is good. Kajiura Yuki is brilliant.

RIP Mopsy, my adorable, psychotic, half blind and overall quite epically seishirou-esque rabbit.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The music's pretty fun, yeah. And it is amusing to watch people who haven't read the manga. I saw this one rant about how Shunraiki made NO sense, because they'd only watched the anime and Tokyo Revelations. Poor confused person...

On another note, has anyone subbed this yet? My sister doesn't read or understand Japanese and, even if the animation isn't that great... it's Tsubasa. Of course she wants to see it. :-P

If anyone finds it subbed in English, do notify. I shall do likewise, keepin' my eyes open...
    ."

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I need subs too. I understand quite a few words, even the occasional sentence, and it isn't that hard to figure out what's going on, but I'd still like to know exactly what they're saying.

Oh, great. It's subbed in Spanish.
    Last edited by ShirubiaLamperouge; March 23, 2009 at 02:27 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast