Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by deathbyrock View Post
    Of course it would be a loss since you translated a hell lot of mangas every month. Doesn't matter if it's not really popular. I say you deserve to get interviewed.
    Doesn't really mean a thing. The other ones who do a ton of translations do a ton of really notable series that are still running. Only "still running" series I've ever done is Chagecha...which died instantly, probably scarring me from doing another.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really matter if you're not doing series that are still running. In fact, you're helping out MH by translating inactive series like Kinikuman and Cyborg Grampa G. Don't you think that?
    Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't really matter if you're not doing series that are still running. In fact, you're helping out MH by translating inactive series like Kinikuman and Cyborg Grampa G. Don't you think that?
    Yeah, but who really reads them? (well OK, I got the Kinniku fanbase on another board but I finished G-chan and no one aside from one person really mentioned it) If I was doing OP every week, then I'd really be noticed.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that nobody who scanlates your stuff posts their work here. So even if people WOULD read your releases, they can't because they don't necessarily know where to find them, unless they really look for them.

Althugh Kinnikuman would probably never attract modern shonen fans. Most hardcore Naruto and Bleach fans I can't see being able to stand it. One Piece fans MAYBE, since it also has a fair amount of comedy mixed with drama and action, but One Piece has a story, and Kinnikuman has successive wrestling matches and plot holes. Hey, I like it, but I have a thing for classic Jump and foundational shonen. But there may be a fair amount of people who might like an absurdly silly series with good fights and intriguing powers, if they had the chance to try it.

And Cyborg Grampa G (Hm, the English really kills the wordplay, the Jii-chan G-chan bit gets lost) hasn't been scanlated since chapter 7, sadly. I wish SOMEBODY would pick it up, but the group that was doing it appears latent for now. It ALMOST makes me want to read Hikaru no Go, since then I'd really be able to trace the evolution of Obata's artstyle from G-chan to Bakuman. As it is, comparing Bakuman to Cyborg Grampa G is pretty breathtaking. His style has gotten MUCH less realistic over the last 20 years.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    The problem is that nobody who scanlates your stuff posts their work here. So even if people WOULD read your releases, they can't because they don't necessarily know where to find them, unless they really look for them.
    Well that is a problem but at the same time it's understandable. I know I sound too much like a pessimist but I guess that's just part of my own personal dissapointments in stuff that I just go along with it and laugh at my own faults.

Quote Quote:
    Althugh Kinnikuman would probably never attract modern shonen fans. Most hardcore Naruto and Bleach fans I can't see being able to stand it. One Piece fans MAYBE, since it also has a fair amount of comedy mixed with drama and action, but One Piece has a story, and Kinnikuman has successive wrestling matches and plot holes. Hey, I like it, but I have a thing for classic Jump and foundational shonen. But there may be a fair amount of people who might like an absurdly silly series with good fights and intriguing powers, if they had the chance to try it.
    Kinnikuman to me is more or less just as crucial to understanding modern Jump as Dragonball, Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya. Heck, this series started in '79 and was doing action in some ways way before the others! (by comparison, Dr. Slump, where Toriyama established himself, was the very first issues in '80, which would be the tail end of '79) Yes it's full of plot holes but it established a lot of the insane concepts and influenced a lot of mangaka. (obviously Sawai but both Oda and Kishi have it as part of their mental history too) If people would ignore the age and the obvious plotholes, they could discover a gem lost to time...and merely thought by Americans as a cult fad toyline made up of little rubber men. (well cult compared to the big toys of the 80s like Transformers, G.I. Joe and such)

Quote Quote:
    And Cyborg Grampa G (Hm, the English really kills the wordplay, the Jii-chan G-chan bit gets lost) hasn't been scanlated since chapter 7, sadly. I wish SOMEBODY would pick it up, but the group that was doing it appears latent for now. It ALMOST makes me want to read Hikaru no Go, since then I'd really be able to trace the evolution of Obata's artstyle from G-chan to Bakuman. As it is, comparing Bakuman to Cyborg Grampa G is pretty breathtaking. His style has gotten MUCH less realistic over the last 20 years.
    G-chan is the beginning of the Obata evolution in my head. Seeing how there are other realistic series that came later like HnG and DN, it felt weird seeing cartoony characters like G-chan and Gantetsu. But you could see in the cartooniness even some of what he ends up throwing in with his later works. Personally, if I could find someone who can get me the three series that can bridge the gap between this and HnG (Lamp-Lamp, Rikito Densetsu and Ayatsuri Sakon), maybe we could get a better understanding in the US of Obata's evolution from '89 to '09.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Kajii's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

just wonder would you like other scan group pick up Cyborg Grampa G ?im not sure if scan group The Forgotten is dead because i been checking their website and it is down >_>

so im here to asking you a permission use your translation Cyborg Grampa G, that would be suck if CGG inactive
    Last edited by Kajii; May 08, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kajii View Post
    just wonder would you like other scan group pick up Cyborg Grampa G ?im not sure if scan group The Forgotten is dead because i been checking their website and it is down >_>

so im here to asking you a permission use your translation Cyborg Grampa G, that would be suck if CGG inactive
    Sure, have fun with it. If you have any problems just contact me but I would like to see all of G-chan completed.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    Yeah, but who really reads them? (well OK, I got the Kinniku fanbase on another board but I finished G-chan and no one aside from one person really mentioned it) If I was doing OP every week, then I'd really be noticed.
    Well hey, at least you have a fanbase even though its from another board, and now someone's asking permission use your translations for Cyborg Grampa G, so I don't think not much people are reading them. Btw, saw your new tranlation for Kinikkuman Lady. Can I have your permission to scanlate it using your translations?
    Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well hey, at least you have a fanbase even though its from another board, and now someone's asking permission use your translations for Cyborg Grampa G, so I don't think not much people are reading them. Btw, saw your new tranlation for Kinikkuman Lady. Can I have your permission to scanlate it using your translations?
    Another person sort of claimed it but if no one does it, be my guest.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So should I wait for this person and if he/she doesn't do it I can scanlate it?
    Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So should I wait for this person and if he/she doesn't do it I can scanlate it?
    Probably best. (then again everyone suddenly seems to want to do it)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinnikuman to me is more or less just as crucial to understanding modern Jump as Dragonball, Fist of the North Star and Saint Seiya. Heck, this series started in '79 and was doing action in some ways way before the others! (by comparison, Dr. Slump, where Toriyama established himself, was the very first issues in '80, which would be the tail end of '79) Yes it's full of plot holes but it established a lot of the insane concepts and influenced a lot of mangaka. (obviously Sawai but both Oda and Kishi have it as part of their mental history too) If people would ignore the age and the obvious plotholes, they could discover a gem lost to time...and merely thought by Americans as a cult fad toyline made up of little rubber men. (well cult compared to the big toys of the 80s like Transformers, G.I. Joe and such)
    I know precious little about the M.U.S.C.L.E. toys, since I'm a 90's boy (born on October 7th, 1991), but yeah, it's that influence that prompted me to read Kinnikuman (and the fact that it came "recommended by Oda", so to speak). To be honest, I'd pin it as the most influential of the 4 big 80's series', after Dragon Ball. I mean, I haven't read Fist of the North Star, and I won't until the scanlation gap is closed, but I haven't seen so many things in modern shonen that seem like they came from the king of 80's action series'.

And I've never read Saint Seiya, and won't until either I have a chance to buy it all from Viz, or somebody scanlates it. But I dunno what it contributed, it just seems big enough to have contributed what general structural bits Dragon Ball didn't. I mean, I've seen people list their influences, but I've never seen Saint Seiya mentioned. I saw Oda list Dragon Ball, Kinnikuman, and Fist of the North Star, and Kishimoto the same. But no Saint Seiya. Even in terms of sales numbers, Dragon Ball is the best selling Jump series, Fist of the North Star is 7th, and Kinnikuman is 8th, but Saint Seiya is a fair bit lower. I guess it's just the general "feel" of the series, but I can't be sure unless I read it.

Then again, popular doesn't necessarily mean influential. I mean, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was HUGE in the early 90's, and the only manga that I know of for sure that were clearly inspired by JoJo are Yu-gi-oh (I used to watch it, so I could spend quite a while pointing out the bits that were inspired by JoJo) and Shaman King, although I'm beginning to suspect that Psyren is as well. I mean, psychic powers with EXTREMELY specific uses, a "meteor" that either gives you psychic powers or kills you... It certainly seems inspired by JoJo, but until Iwashiro becomes popular enough to be interviewed and asked about his influences, I guess we can't be sure. You can tell that he's younger than Takahashi and Takei, though, because he seems influenced by Part 4 and Part 5, and Takahashi and Inoue were influenced mostly by Part 3 (which is the most iconic Part in Japan anyway).

G-chan is the beginning of the Obata evolution in my head. Seeing how there are other realistic series that came later like HnG and DN, it felt weird seeing cartoony characters like G-chan and Gantetsu. But you could see in the cartooniness even some of what he ends up throwing in with his later works. Personally, if I could find someone who can get me the three series that can bridge the gap between this and HnG (Lamp-Lamp, Rikito Densetsu and Ayatsuri Sakon), maybe we could get a better understanding in the US of Obata's evolution from '89 to '09.
    That would be great, I'd like to read them to get the full evolution. Ech, I guess I'd have to read Hikaru no Go, then. Even though I'm not interested in a manga about go that comes off as a Yu-gi-oh rip off, only without the magic and the general JoJo-inspired coolness/
    Last edited by Imitorar; May 10, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably best. (then again everyone suddenly seems to want to do it)
    Its because MH needs more seinen. Lolno, anyway, since the Kinikkuman Lady trans are already claimed, can I use your Long Shoot Oneshot? I just read it and its reminding me of Slam Dunk so much, that I want to do it.
    Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its because MH needs more seinen. Lolno, anyway, since the Kinikkuman Lady trans are already claimed, can I use your Long Shoot Oneshot? I just read it and its reminding me of Slam Dunk so much, that I want to do it.
    Yeah, go for Long Shoot. If you want to do the rest of G-chan, go with that as well.

Imitorar: Regarding the influences of older Jump series on older ones, there are two mangaka I can immediately directly think of regarding Saint Seiya's influences on today: Kubo and Sorachi. Kubo is obvious: the Soul Society arc of Bleach is in some ways a modified rip-off of the Gold Saint arc of St. Seiya. An important female is abducted by a really powerful force with a time-limit until something happens, the main hero team heads for the HQ of this really powerful enemy and is forced to take them on one by one...until in the end, their "enemy" is revealed to be the good guys who helps them out later and some other force is in control...OK, to tell the truth that I all read on the Wiki, but you can see the parallel. As for Sorachi...well basically it's one of the few Jump series he actively read as a kid, being moreso into seinen manga like Golgo 13. (I still say that some of his style is also reminiscent of Hojo and City Hunter...but that's less him and more Sunrise doing the anime for that and Gintama) Seiya is out there even in the influence of "good looking feminine heroes facing bad guys and such" (Reborn probably has that influence too) but it just isn't as obvious.

Oh, and I don't remember Fist of the North Star on either Oda or Kishi's influence list. DB and Kinnikuman are obvious though...also remember Doraemon for Kishi too for some odd reason.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would scanlate the rest of G-chan, but I guess a group's already doing it with your translations. Thanks, and I guess I'll start working on it tomorrow.
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast