Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: StrangerAtaru's Thread of...Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    Imitorar: Regarding the influences of older Jump series on older ones, there are two mangaka I can immediately directly think of regarding Saint Seiya's influences on today: Kubo and Sorachi. Kubo is obvious: the Soul Society arc of Bleach is in some ways a modified rip-off of the Gold Saint arc of St. Seiya. An important female is abducted by a really powerful force with a time-limit until something happens, the main hero team heads for the HQ of this really powerful enemy and is forced to take them on one by one...until in the end, their "enemy" is revealed to be the good guys who helps them out later and some other force is in control...OK, to tell the truth that I all read on the Wiki, but you can see the parallel. As for Sorachi...well basically it's one of the few Jump series he actively read as a kid, being moreso into seinen manga like Golgo 13. (I still say that some of his style is also reminiscent of Hojo and City Hunter...but that's less him and more Sunrise doing the anime for that and Gintama) Seiya is out there even in the influence of "good looking feminine heroes facing bad guys and such" (Reborn probably has that influence too) but it just isn't as obvious.
    Hm, I read an interview, and Kubo said that his biggest influence was City Hunter. Another classic Jump series that I can't read due to lack of scanlations... But yeah, I guess Saint Seiya did have some archetypical arcs. Just because Kubo favored City Hunter doesn't mean that he wasn't fond of Saint Seiya. I mean, Oda favored Dragon Ball, but he's still been heavily influenced by Kinnikuman. But Sorachi... I can't see Gintama being influenced by any of the big action/adventure series' of the 80's and 90's. I mean, I don't read Gintama, but from what I know of it, I can't see what sort of place a manga like Saint Seiya would have in it.

I can safely say though that I found a good amount of Kinnikuman in Reborn, actually. It was in the Varia arc. I dunno if you've already read all of Kinnikuman, or if you just know the storyline anyway (like the fandom on Little Rubber Guys. How the heck do they know the storyline, anyway?), so I'll put this in spoilers.
    Spoiler: End of the Scramble for the Kinniku Throne Arc show

Oh, and I don't remember Fist of the North Star on either Oda or Kishi's influence list. DB and Kinnikuman are obvious though...also remember Doraemon for Kishi too for some odd reason.
    Check this. That whole site is massively useful. It hasn't been updated since around Jaya, but it's got TONS of great stuff from before then, like that interview. Before Jaya is the murky period in the online One Piece fandom anyway, which is why Destination Paradise is so great. I can't speak for Kishimoto's influences, because I never actually read an interview where he listed them, I just saw one quoted, but I would GUESS that it was there somehow. I mean, I can't pick out many Fist of the North Star elements in One Piece either, so maybe they're subtle in Naruto also. But Doraemon? Really? It seems too... cute, for a guy who's famous for creating one of the most emo characters in modern mainstream manga. But I wouldn't be surprised if Doraemon had influenced everyone between 1964 and now.
    Last edited by Imitorar; May 11, 2009 at 01:26 AM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Hm, I read an interview, and Kubo said that his biggest influence was City Hunter. Another classic Jump series that I can't read due to lack of scanlations... But yeah, I guess Saint Seiya did have some archetypical arcs. Just because Kubo favored City Hunter doesn't mean that he wasn't fond of Saint Seiya. I mean, Oda favored Dragon Ball, but he's still been heavily influenced by Kinnikuman. But Sorachi... I can't see Gintama being influenced by any of the big action/adventure series' of the 80's and 90's. I mean, I don't read Gintama, but from what I know of it, I can't see what sort of place a manga like Saint Seiya would have in it.
    I see more Saint Seiya than City Hunter in Bleach myself. Maybe if we were talking the early pre-SS arc of Bleach, I could see a City Hunter influence with the "hero who sort of faces various threats for those he cares about" (I own City Hunter but still haven't gotten around to reading it), but SS is the Gold Saint arc modernized.

Quote Quote:
    I can safely say though that I found a good amount of Kinnikuman in Reborn, actually. It was in the Varia arc. I dunno if you've already read all of Kinnikuman, or if you just know the storyline anyway (like the fandom on Little Rubber Guys. How the heck do they know the storyline, anyway?), so I'll put this in spoilers.
    Spoiler: End of the Scramble for the Kinniku Throne Arc show
    Never really saw the Kinnikuman influence in Reborn, probably cause the series style seems more akin to other series. But thinking of it like that, I can see it.

Quote Quote:
    Check this. That whole site is massively useful. It hasn't been updated since around Jaya, but it's got TONS of great stuff from before then, like that interview. Before Jaya is the murky period in the online One Piece fandom anyway, which is why Destination Paradise is so great. I can't speak for Kishimoto's influences, because I never actually read an interview where he listed them, I just saw one quoted, but I would GUESS that it was there somehow. I mean, I can't pick out many Fist of the North Star elements in One Piece either, so maybe they're subtle in Naruto also. But Doraemon? Really? It seems too... cute, for a guy who's famous for creating one of the most emo characters in modern mainstream manga. But I wouldn't be surprised if Doraemon had influenced everyone between 1964 and now.
    I do remember reading some old interviews by Oda but I just really never remembered him specifically saying "Fist of the North Star". I know about DB (he loves the early stuff through the Piccolo arc) and Kinnikuman but FONS just seemed too realistic and angsty compared to the works of Toriyama & Yudetamago. Oh...and as for the Doraemon bit, I just remember an interview or something where Kishi mentions Doraemon.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    Alright, it's been a while since I did something with initiative, but I think I need to start taking a pulse around here before I start anything in particular. Here's the situation: Cyborg Jiichan G is over and, for the moment, I'm back on Ai Kora for the time being. (probably another volume just to get further along as I promised) Kinnikuman and Shinsetsu Bo-bobo are still coming along but at their own weird paces. However...I want to start a new series once I finish my next Ai Kora volume. But...I think I want to get a pulse out there before I start anything, to see what's out there, the interest and if what I am thinking is just mad.

My original intention was to maybe start Hell Teacher Nube next (being a personal favorite of mine)...but I'm starting to hear others want it so I'll let it be as is. I do have though a bunch of other WSJ series which I think I want to do, but that's why I'm bringing it up to see what the people want. Here are a few series that are currently drawing my interest that I'm feeling around with (in chronological order):

-KochiKame (I did the beginning of Akimoto's epic (and still going) comedy slice-of-life series a while back, seems like a lot of fun and pretty much will force me to be devoted for a really, really long time to it)
    -Wingman (Katsura's breakthrough shonen series of the early-mid 80s, a fun sentai homage with cute girls)
    -Bonbonzakura High School Drama Club (a lesser known early 90s comedy series, someone mentioned it a long while back and I may want to take it up to get it out there)
    -Ninku (classic ninja series from the early 90s, a bit strange in design but somewhat influential if only because of Fuusuke's playability in JUS)
    -Midori no Makibaou (another mentioned 90s series someone put up recently, very strange horse-racing series but heard it's not too bad)
    -Anything else you can think of and can direct me to...sort of want to make it Jump since I have an idea of what to do non-Jump once Ai Kora's done. (also have mentioned Kurumada's early boxing series Ring ni Kakero in the past but currently only have vol 1 on my hard drive)

So...what do you think?

Edit: Well apparantly another group has picked back up on Ai Kora...guess I'm out of yet another job but...I have another series I wanted to try anyway in it's place for the moment luckily.
    Last edited by StrangerAtaru; May 11, 2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Kajii's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, have fun with it. If you have any problems just contact me but I would like to see all of G-chan completed.
    Thanks.. im going start with Volume 1..

Yeah, go for Long Shoot. If you want to do the rest of G-chan, go with that as well.

Imitorar: Regarding the influences of older Jump series on older ones, there are two mangaka I can immediately directly think of regarding Saint Seiya's influences on today: Kubo and Sorachi. Kubo is obvious: the Soul Society arc of Bleach is in some ways a modified rip-off of the Gold Saint arc of St. Seiya. An important female is abducted by a really powerful force with a time-limit until something happens, the main hero team heads for the HQ of this really powerful enemy and is forced to take them on one by one...until in the end, their "enemy" is revealed to be the good guys who helps them out later and some other force is in control...OK, to tell the truth that I all read on the Wiki, but you can see the parallel. As for Sorachi...well basically it's one of the few Jump series he actively read as a kid, being moreso into seinen manga like Golgo 13. (I still say that some of his style is also reminiscent of Hojo and City Hunter...but that's less him and more Sunrise doing the anime for that and Gintama) Seiya is out there even in the influence of "good looking feminine heroes facing bad guys and such" (Reborn probably has that influence too) but it just isn't as obvious.

Oh, and I don't remember Fist of the North Star on either Oda or Kishi's influence list. DB and Kinnikuman are obvious though...also remember Doraemon for Kishi too for some odd reason.
    >_> how many Scan group u wanna someone work on Cyborg Grampa G?

ps DBR if u interesting do CGG? interesting do joint project.. we need typesetter do faster release btw im from noname-scan

im going make those series HQ as possible as i can here of my example clean

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Kajii; May 11, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ai-chann's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey StrangerAtaru,

Miracle Attack Scans will be picking up Cyborg Grandpa-G starting from chapter 8 and onward. I see that there is actual interest in the series, and this makes me quite excited! Please be on the lookout for our releases, and if you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks!

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Kajii's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ai-chann why bother to translation those i mean strangerataru already tanslation up to chapter 31 and also im also pick it up this series too

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we have differing opinions about the translation of the manga, so we are going to go ahead and do our own translation.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ai-chann View Post
    Well, we have differing opinions about the translation of the manga, so we are going to go ahead and do our own translation.
    Yeah I'm fine with that. I'm a bit surprised people want to read it but essentially go ahead anyway considering my version of translation is...well, not the best out there. (that's what you get being an amateur working essentially for free with a crappy Japanese base in his head)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't want to say anything bad about your translation; that's not what I'm here for. Considering that the style of speech used in the manga is quite difficult even for some fluent speakers, you made a valiant effort to do the best you could. Again, if you have any comments about our translation, we would love to hear from you since we are a new scanlations group and we want to improve more and more as time goes on.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ai-chann View Post
    Well, I don't want to say anything bad about your translation; that's not what I'm here for. Considering that the style of speech used in the manga is quite difficult even for some fluent speakers, you made a valiant effort to do the best you could. Again, if you have any comments about our translation, we would love to hear from you since we are a new scanlations group and we want to improve more and more as time goes on.
    Ah OK. Didn't know where you were going with that. I guess I try to make it as literal as possible but it ends up losing people somehow or another. I'm just surprised you want to tackle G-chan, considering not too many seemed that interested in it when I did it, but mostly since the scanslations dissappeared near the end of vol. 1. Can't wait and I will comment on it when I can.

BTW: any suggestions for my next series?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have some. I would say go with Ninku, since it's the shortest at 9 volumes, and therefore, you'd be done with it the quickest and able to work on more old Jump stuff as soon as possible. Then, I would suggest Wingman, because it's also rather short, at 13 volumes. Plus, it sounds quite interesting, and it seems like a very different Katsura from the one most people know of. If they only know him from I''s, at least. If they've been reading Zetman, then it may not be so different, but it'd still be nice to see where he was about 26 years ago.

I wouldn't do Kochikame, only because... Well, if you really wanted to see it through to the end, you'd basically have to go in intending to do it for the rest of your life. That's a huge commitment. Aside from the "knowing Japanese culture as it's developed over the last 33 years" part. But yeah, Kochikame would probably end up taking DECADES to finish, and then you wouldn't have that slot free to do other things. So when you've finished everything else that you could conceivably want to translate, THEN is the time to dedicate yourself to Kochikame.

And Midori no Makibao? Wasn't that drawn by Tsunomaru? The guy who drew all of the Straw Hats Super Deformed and naked in 10th treasures? What's that series like, exactly, because I'm not sure what to expect based off of that one illustration... Although it does seem quite interesting (I've never heard of a horse racing manga before), so I guess I'd say to do it after Ninku, since Ninku is still shorter, but it's not much longer than Wingman.
    Last edited by Imitorar; May 11, 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah OK. Didn't know where you were going with that. I guess I try to make it as literal as possible but it ends up losing people somehow or another. I'm just surprised you want to tackle G-chan, considering not too many seemed that interested in it when I did it, but mostly since the scanslations dissappeared near the end of vol. 1. Can't wait and I will comment on it when I can.
    My translator and I went through a few of your translations today at school, and we were confused sometimes because the translations are actually a bit literal. There needs some fluidity so reading it doesn't feel choppy, if you understand what I mean. I appreciate you understanding our reasoning for doing our own translations for future chapters.

Funny enough, the two of us were at Book Off in New York a month or so ago, and we found the first volume of Cyborg Grandpa-G for the usual dollar. We found it to be hilarious, so that's why we expressed an interest in translating it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Yes, I have some. I would say go with Ninku, since it's the shortest at 9 volumes, and therefore, you'd be done with it the quickest and able to work on more old Jump stuff as soon as possible. Then, I would suggest Wingman, because it's also rather short, at 13 volumes. Plus, it sounds quite interesting, and it seems like a very different Katsura from the one most people know of. If they only know him from I''s, at least. If they've been reading Zetman, then it may not be so different, but it'd still be nice to see where he was about 26 years ago.

I wouldn't do Kochikame, only because... Well, if you really wanted to see it through to the end, you'd basically have to go in intending to do it for the rest of your life. That's a huge commitment. Aside from the "knowing Japanese culture as it's developed over the last 33 years" part. But yeah, Kochikame would probably end up taking DECADES to finish, and then you wouldn't have that slot free to do other things. So when you've finished everything else that you could conceivably want to translate, THEN is the time to dedicate yourself to Kochikame.

And Midori no Makibao? Wasn't that drawn by Tsunomaru? The guy who drew all of the Straw Hats Super Deformed and naked in 10th treasures? What's that series like, exactly, because I'm not sure what to expect based off of that one illustration... Although it does seem quite interesting (I've never heard of a horse racing manga before), so I guess I'd say to do it after Ninku, since Ninku is still shorter, but it's not much longer than Wingman.
    To tell the truth, I was pretty much between Ninku and Wingman, but I think I'm leaning towards Wingman...more because Kiriyama's art style is just bizarre and hard to follow in some ways compared to Katsura's. (that and Wingman just looks fun) Do want to do both but I want to hear some more output from people.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW: any suggestions for my next series?
    Why don't you try a seinen series?
    Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathbyrock View Post
    Why don't you try a seinen series?
    Eventually but not right now I guess.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well well well, nice strings of Wingman releases. Are you gonna finish the whole series? Oh, and I think I already know what the possibilities are for your "big project" might be. ; A;
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast